6 Sec Delay in going to LIVE mode

Amit Cherian
1. It takes about 5 seconds before the aqcuisition starts when "Live" is pressed.
2. Once off of "Live" mode, if we press "Älbum", Micromanager hangs, and user is forced to stop the process from task manager and restart micromanager.

Troubleshooting was done by checking if it was something to do with multi-cam. But the above two issues happens when using single cam as well.Problem_Report.txt

Any help or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Much Thanks in advance

Re: 6 Sec Delay in going to LIVE mode

JonD
Administrator
Amit Cherian wrote
1. It takes about 5 seconds before the aqcuisition starts when "Live" is pressed.
Try reducing the size of your circular buffer AKA sequence buffer (Tools -> Options...).  Whenever you switch between cameras that buffer is re-initialized.  The buffer exists to hold images between when the camera sends them and when Micro-Manager can process them (e.g. write them to disk during acquisition).  Your setting is 2000 MB which is about 4k 16-bit images from your 512x512 sensor so that seems excessive.  BTW I think the circular buffer also cuts into the overall memory allotted to Micro-Manager so if you do need a large circular buffer for some reason then maybe worth increasing that too (ImageJ window, Edit -> Options -> Memory & Threads...).

The camera device adapters can sometimes introduce significant lags.  If you have a different type of camera available you could try with it to see if it's something specific to the PVCAM device adapter.

I'm not sure about the second issue, again trying with a different camera would help narrow down the problem.

Jon

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

On 7/20/17 9:59 AM, JonD wrote:

> Amit Cherian wrote
>> 1. It takes about 5 seconds before the aqcuisition starts when "Live" is
>> pressed.
> Try reducing the size of your circular buffer AKA sequence buffer
> (Tools ->
> Options...).  Whenever you switch between cameras that buffer is
> re-initialized.  The buffer exists to hold images between when the camera
> sends them and when Micro-Manager can process them (e.g. write them to
> disk
> during acquisition).  Your setting is 2000 MB which is about 4k 16-bit
> images from your 512x512 sensor so that seems excessive.  BTW I think the
> circular buffer also cuts into the overall memory allotted to
> Micro-Manager
> so if you do need a large circular buffer for some reason then maybe
> worth
> increasing that too (ImageJ window, Edit -> Options -> Memory &
> Threads...).
>
> The camera device adapters can sometimes introduce significant lags.
> If you
> have a different type of camera available you could try with it to see if
> it's something specific to the PVCAM device adapter.
>
> I'm not sure about the second issue, again trying with a different camera
> would help narrow down the problem.

In addition to Jon's suggestions:  It looks like the system times out
while updating the system state cache (trying to assure that you have
the correct metadata).  A likely culprit is the TIDiaShutter. Do
yourself a favor and exclude the DiaShutter from your configuration
altogether.  Those things are a pain and any attempt to control them by
computer results in disappointment.  If you need computer control of
transmitted light then get a real physical shutter, or - better -
replace the Halogen lamp with an LED illuminator (we use the T-LEDs from
Sutter and are very happy with it, but there are also other great ones
on the market).

Also, are you doing anything with the LC-DAC?  I vaguley remember that
the DACs are not even exposed to the outside world and do not see any
use of them in your configuration, so do yourself a favor and take it out.

If the problem persists, make a configuration with only a single camera
and see how long it takes to start live.  If very long, contact Open
Imaging and/or Photometrics for support.

Re: 6 Sec Delay in going to LIVE mode

Amit Cherian
Dear Jon & Nico:

Thank you so much for the response.

1. I've reduced the circular memory buffer. This has reduced the delay in going into live mode by half. So there's still a 3sec delay.
The delay as Nico asked, occurs only in multicam mode. We're working with Photometrics Evolve Delta. When using single cam, there are no issues of delay in going into Live mode.

2. We've removed Ti-DiaShutter and LC-DAC from the configuration.
This has not helped us solving micromanager hanging up when album is pressed on the main window. It works fine on the Snap image window.

Thank you once again for all the support. Micromanager Rokz :)

Regards
Amit

Re: 6 Sec Delay in going to LIVE mode

Amit Cherian