Accessing Multi-D acquisition engine in Python

Accessing Multi-D acquisition engine in Python

Spencer Peters
Hi! Quick question:

It looks like the the Multi-D acquisition engine can't be accessed in Python. Is this correct?

Thanks so much,

Spencer Peters

Re: Accessing Multi-D acquisition engine in Python

JonD
Administrator
Spencer Peters wrote
It looks like the the Multi-D acquisition engine can't be accessed in
Python. Is this correct?
Since no one more authoritative has taken a shot at this I will even though I've never used MM with Python.

The Multi-D acquisition is part of the GUI layer of Micro-Manager "MMStudio".  I believe than only the core layer "MMCore" can be accessed via Python (and Matlab and others) [1].  But the Multi-D acquisition functions via the core, so I suspect you could write a Python script to do the same thing even though it might take a lot of effort.  The Python page on the wiki is a good start [2].

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.  It does seem like it would be helpful to have certain MMStudio functionality callable from other languages.

[1] https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Micro-Manager%20Project%20Overview
[2] https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Using_the_Micro-Manager_python_library

Jon

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

Re: Accessing Multi-D acquisition engine in Python

Spencer Peters
Hi Jon! Thanks for your reply.

That's how the situation looked to me, glad you could confirm my hunch!

Cheers,

Spencer

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 10:04 AM JonD <[hidden email]> wrote:
Spencer Peters wrote
> It looks like the the Multi-D acquisition engine can't be accessed in
> Python. Is this correct?

Since no one more authoritative has taken a shot at this I will even though
I've never used MM with Python.

The Multi-D acquisition is part of the GUI layer of Micro-Manager
"MMStudio".  I believe than only the core layer "MMCore" can be accessed via
Python (and Matlab and others) [1].  But the Multi-D acquisition functions
via the core, so I suspect you could write a Python script to do the same
thing even though it might take a lot of effort.  The Python page on the
wiki is a good start [2].

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.  It does seem like it would be
helpful to have certain MMStudio functionality callable from other
languages.

[1] https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Micro-Manager%20Project%20Overview
[2] https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Using_the_Micro-Manager_python_library

Jon

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: <a href="tel:(541)%20461-8181" value="+15414618181" target="_blank">(541) 461-8181 x118