AmScope camera together with Micro-Manager for analyzing laser spectrum?

AmScope camera together with Micro-Manager for analyzing laser spectrum?

Roy G. Biv
I am a new to cameras and frame grabbers, and I am looking for a solution for my hobby laser experiments.

I want to use a USB camera attached to an optical spectrum analyzer to project the laser spectrum on the camera's ccd/cmos sensor and display the spectrum on my Windows computer by using a horizontal line profile for the intensity along the x-axis of the sensor. I need to do this live so that when I change the current to, or the temperature of, the laser diode I will see the effect on the laser spectrum.

I just found out about the Micro-Manager software. Do you think I can use this software for this application? I have earlier been looking at Touptek cameras (AmScope) but their software only shows the line profile for a still image. I need continous profiles.

I see that there is Device Support for AmScope cameras.
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/AmScope

Is it only working with USB 3-MU cameras, or is it possible to use Micro-Manager with a USB 2 camera also?

USB 2.0
http://www.amscope.com/3mp-usb2-0-microscope-digital-camera-calibration-kit.html
http://www.amscope.com/3mp-high-speed-digital-camera.html

USB 3.0
http://www.amscope.com/3mp-high-speed-usb-3-0-digital-camera.html

The USB 2 cameras actually better suit my application if I can use the smaller resolution, like 45fps @ 680x510 for the USB2.0 high speed camera above. I only need 10 micrometer resolution. The USB 2 cameras are also less expensive.

In Micro-Manager, is it possible to set the resolution and framerate of the AmScope camera? Will I be able to use the live view line profile feature for an AmScope camera?

I hope someone has experience or knowledge of AmScope cameras and can give some advice regarding what camera and features I can use together with Micro-manager.

Dan

Re: AmScope camera together with Micro-Manager for analyzing laser spectrum?

Mahesh Kakuturu
Hi Dan,

I developed AmScope device support for Micro-manager. It supports both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 cameras from ToupTeck. I only tested AmScope named MU series camera and I also believe it might work with Other ToupTeck cameras also as long as they are supporting the same API. Once you are able to see the live video capture, you can use live line profile. Live profile is only updating on mouse events. so,you might click on the line to update profile plot. You might need to familiarize Micro-Manager usage to set resolution and frame rate. This can be achieved by setting the ROI from live image display.

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Roy G. Biv <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Best Regards,
Mahesh Kakuturu
Sr. Software Engineer
Angstrom Science, Inc.

Re: AmScope camera together with Micro-Manager for analyzing laser spectrum?

Roy G. Biv
Thank you Mahesh for your reply. Sorry for the long delay.

So, it isn´t possible to get a live view of the horizontal line profile in MM? I need it to be continous and not just on mouse events. Is there any other way I can get a live view of the intensity profile for the x-axis, either as a line profile or as an average of the pixels in the y-axis (along the x-axis)?

Dan

[...]

Hi Roy,

You can do live profile of a horizontal line from Micro-manager profile plot. There is a problem if you open profile plot from ImageJ->Analyze->Plot Profile.
So, better use it from Micro-Manager button option.