Andor Zyla 4.2 configuration problem

dmahecic
Hi all,

I am new to micromanager and trying to set up the Andor Zyla 4.2 10-tap version. I installed the SDK3 drivers into the micromanager folder as instructed, but when I try to set up the camera in the hardware configuration wizard I get the following error:
Failed to load device “Andor sCMOS Camera” from adapter module “AndorSDK3” [ Device adapter “AndorSDK3” failed to instantiate device “Andor sCMOS Camera”]
I've seen this issue discussed before, but the proposed solutions didn't work. I tried restarting the computer, shutting down and rebooting, but without success.
I am using the latest AndorDriverPack3Setup-3.13.30013.0 driver pack and MM2.0. I can see the two BitFlow Karbon 6.20 drivers in Imaging devices in Device manager so the drivers should be working…
I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

On another note, I also can’t set up the camera using Andor Solis since I get the following error when I try to run it after installation:
The program can’t start because ext-ms-win-gdi-desktop-l1-1-0.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
I am not sure if these two problems are related?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Best,
Dora

Re: -|EXT|- Andor Zyla 4.2 configuration problem

AndorThirdParty
Hi Dora,

I had a quick check that I can connect to a Zyla successfully through MM 2.0, using driver pack 3.13.30013.0, though I used a USB version.

The problem you've seen with "ext-ms-win-gdi-desktop-l1-1-0.DLL" can be caused by the Windows 10 anniversary update. Are you using Windows 10? If so you may be able to resolve the issue by downloading that .DLL and adding it to the folder with your .exe (e.g. the folder with AndorSolis.exe in it). I've uploaded the .DLL at the link below.

Could you let me know which version of Andor Solis you're using? That issue should have been fixed in recent releases.

This .DLL is used for device communication, so Micromanager could also have problems because it cannot find that .DLL. Could you try adding that .DLL to the Micromanager directory (where ImageJ.exe is) and see if that helps?

Thanks,
Jack Gaston
Graduate Software Engineer
[...]

+++Scanned for Viruses by ForcePoint+++

___________________________________________________________________________This e-mail is confidential and is for the addressee only.  Please refer to www.oxinst.com/email-statement for regulatory information.

Re: -|EXT|- Andor Zyla 4.2 configuration problem

AndorThirdParty
Hi again Dora,

Apologies, I forgot to include the download link for the .DLL. Here it is:

http://www.andor.com/ftp/22927/ext-ms-win-gdi-desktop-l1-1-0.zip

Thanks
Jack Gaston
Graduate Software Engineer

Re: -|EXT|- Andor Zyla 4.2 configuration problem

dmahecic
Hi Jack,

Thanks for your help! I copied the .dll as instructed and now Andor Solis runs, but I get the following initialization error message:
Cannot detect Andor camera. Please connect camera and restart software.

Unfortunately, I still get the same error with micromanager as before when I try to set up the camera in the hardware configuration wizard.
To answer your questions, yes I am running Windows 10 and I am using Andor Solis v.4.28.30026.0 (for Zyla).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dora

AndorThirdParty wrote
Hi again Dora,

Apologies, I forgot to include the download link for the .DLL. Here it is:

http://www.andor.com/ftp/22927/ext-ms-win-gdi-desktop-l1-1-0.zip

Thanks
Jack Gaston
Graduate Software Engineer

Re: -|EXT|- Andor Zyla 4.2 configuration problem

AndorThirdParty
Hi Dora,

This sounds like a cameralink problem. Before trying to re-install Bitflow drivers it's best to confirm the hardware setup.

Could you let us know the model of your PC and motherboard, if you know? Is the PCI e card inserted into a x16 slot on your motherboard, usually the one closest to the CPU? If you're unsure you could send us a picture and I'll check.

Another common problem is the two cameralink cables being the wrong way round. The cable which is plugged into the CL1 slot on the camera should be plugged into the PCI slot furthest from the motherboard.

Could you check the setup and let me know if it is correct?

Thanks,
Jack Gaston
Graduate Software Engineer
Thanks for your help! I copied the .dll as instructed and now Andor Solis runs, but I get the following initialization error message:
Cannot detect Andor camera. Please connect camera and restart software.

Unfortunately, I still get the same error with micromanager as before when I try to set up the camera in the hardware configuration wizard.
To answer your questions, yes I am running Windows 10 and I am using Andor Solis v.4.28.30026.0 (for Zyla).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dora

AndorThirdParty wrote

> Hi again Dora,
>
> Apologies, I forgot to include the download link for the .DLL. Here it is:
>
> http://www.andor.com/ftp/22927/ext-ms-win-gdi-desktop-l1-1-0.zip
>
> Thanks
> Jack Gaston
> Graduate Software Engineer

No, the PCIe card is inserted into a x8 slot. I am using the GA-Z170XP-SLI motherboard. The quick-connect guide that came with the camera suggests that either a x8 or x16 slot is required for the 10-tap version. Is a x16 slot strictly necessary or could it also work with the x8?

Thanks,

Dora

AndorThirdParty wrote
Hi Dora,

This sounds like a cameralink problem. Before trying to re-install Bitflow drivers it's best to confirm the hardware setup.

Could you let us know the model of your PC and motherboard, if you know? Is the PCI e card inserted into a x16 slot on your motherboard, usually the one closest to the CPU? If you're unsure you could send us a picture and I'll check.

Another common problem is the two cameralink cables being the wrong way round. The cable which is plugged into the CL1 slot on the camera should be plugged into the PCI slot furthest from the motherboard.

Could you check the setup and let me know if it is correct?

Thanks,
Jack Gaston
Graduate Software Engineer
Thanks for your help! I copied the .dll as instructed and now Andor Solis runs, but I get the following initialization error message:
Cannot detect Andor camera. Please connect camera and restart software.

Unfortunately, I still get the same error with micromanager as before when I try to set up the camera in the hardware configuration wizard.
To answer your questions, yes I am running Windows 10 and I am using Andor Solis v.4.28.30026.0 (for Zyla).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dora

AndorThirdParty wrote
> Hi again Dora,
>
> Apologies, I forgot to include the download link for the .DLL. Here it is:
>
> http://www.andor.com/ftp/22927/ext-ms-win-gdi-desktop-l1-1-0.zip
>
> Thanks
> Jack Gaston
> Graduate Software Engineer

It could also work with x8. We've seen some problems before with the priority given to each slot, where moving the card to the slot closest to the CPU solved the issue. In the case of your motherboard the slot closest to the CPU is the x16 one. Is it convenient for you to try the x16 slot?

Thanks,
Jack Gaston
Software Engineer
No, the PCIe card is inserted into a x8 slot. I am using the GA-Z170XP-SLI motherboard. The quick-connect guide that came with the camera suggests that either a x8 or x16 slot is required for the 10-tap version. Is a x16 slot strictly necessary or could it also work with the x8?

Thanks,

Dora

AndorThirdParty wrote

> Hi Dora,
>
> This sounds like a cameralink problem. Before trying to re-install
> Bitflow drivers it's best to confirm the hardware setup.
>
> Could you let us know the model of your PC and motherboard, if you know?
> Is the PCI e card inserted into a x16 slot on your motherboard,
> usually the one closest to the CPU? If you're unsure you could send us
> a picture and I'll check.
>
> Another common problem is the two cameralink cables being the wrong
> way round. The cable which is plugged into the CL1 slot on the camera
> should be plugged into the PCI slot furthest from the motherboard.
>
> Could you check the setup and let me know if it is correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack Gaston
> Graduate Software Engineer

I just tried the x16 slot and I still get the same error. Any help would be appreciated...

Best,

Dora

AndorThirdParty wrote
Hi Dora,

It could also work with x8. We've seen some problems before with the priority given to each slot, where moving the card to the slot closest to the CPU solved the issue. In the case of your motherboard the slot closest to the CPU is the x16 one. Is it convenient for you to try the x16 slot?

Thanks,
Jack Gaston
Software Engineer
No, the PCIe card is inserted into a x8 slot. I am using the GA-Z170XP-SLI motherboard. The quick-connect guide that came with the camera suggests that either a x8 or x16 slot is required for the 10-tap version. Is a x16 slot strictly necessary or could it also work with the x8?

Thanks,

Dora

AndorThirdParty wrote
> Hi Dora,
>
> This sounds like a cameralink problem. Before trying to re-install
> Bitflow drivers it's best to confirm the hardware setup.
>
> Could you let us know the model of your PC and motherboard, if you know?
> Is the PCI e card inserted into a x16 slot on your motherboard,
> usually the one closest to the CPU? If you're unsure you could send us
> a picture and I'll check.
>
> Another common problem is the two cameralink cables being the wrong
> way round. The cable which is plugged into the CL1 slot on the camera
> should be plugged into the PCI slot furthest from the motherboard.
>
> Could you check the setup and let me know if it is correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack Gaston
> Graduate Software Engineer

I want to find out a bit more about the status of your Bitflow installation. In your Bitflow directory (e.g. "C:\BitFlow SDK 6.20\") there is an application VerCheck.exe. After running can then save the output as a text file. Could you run it and send me the output.

In your C drive do you have more than one Bitflow installation?

Can you check in  your Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features if  there are multiple version of the Andor SDK, the Andor drivers or Bitflow installed?

Thanks,
Jack Gaston
Software Engineer
I just tried the x16 slot and I still get the same error. Any help would be appreciated...

Best,

Dora

AndorThirdParty wrote

> Hi Dora,
>
> It could also work with x8. We've seen some problems before with the
> priority given to each slot, where moving the card to the slot closest
> to the CPU solved the issue. In the case of your motherboard the slot
> closest to the CPU is the x16 one. Is it convenient for you to try the x16 slot?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack Gaston
> Software Engineer

Here is the output from VerCheck.exe.

System.txt

It seems like there are two versions of bitflow installed: 5.6 and 6.2 that I can see in my programs. I tried uninstalling it in the Apps & Features window, but it doesn't appear to work... Otherwise, there is only one version of Andor Solis and the driver.

Thanks,

Dora

AndorThirdParty wrote
Hi Dora,

I want to find out a bit more about the status of your Bitflow installation. In your Bitflow directory (e.g. "C:\BitFlow SDK 6.20\") there is an application VerCheck.exe. After running can then save the output as a text file. Could you run it and send me the output.

In your C drive do you have more than one Bitflow installation?

Can you check in  your Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features if  there are multiple version of the Andor SDK, the Andor drivers or Bitflow installed?

Thanks,
Jack Gaston
Software Engineer
I just tried the x16 slot and I still get the same error. Any help would be appreciated...

Best,

Dora

AndorThirdParty wrote
> Hi Dora,
>
> It could also work with x8. We've seen some problems before with the
> priority given to each slot, where moving the card to the slot closest
> to the CPU solved the issue. In the case of your motherboard the slot
> closest to the CPU is the x16 one. Is it convenient for you to try the x16 slot?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack Gaston
> Software Engineer

Kyle Douglass
Hi guys,

On 05/04/2017 05:35 PM, dmahecic wrote:
> Here is the output from VerCheck.exe.
>
> System.txt
> <http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/n7588379/System.txt>
>
> It seems like there are two versions of bitflow installed: 5.6 and 6.2 that
> I can see in my programs.

I just had one thought which might help (no guarantees though):

I noticed in Dora's VerCheck output that the folders for the 5.6 SDK
precede the 6.2 folders in the PATH environment variable, which I
believe would give the 5.6 binaries a higher precedence. As a sanity
check, it may be worth verifying that the old SDK folders are completely
removed from the hard drive after uninstalling them through Windows'
Programs and Features menu. After that, I would remove any reference to
the old folders from the PATH environment variable if they still exist.

Kyle

--
Kyle M. Douglass, PhD
Post-doctoral researcher

Re: -|EXT|- Andor Zyla 4.2 configuration problem

AndorThirdParty
Hi Dora,

Kyle is right, having different versions of Bitflow installed on a computer can cause issues, especially if you install an old version of Bitflow after installing a newer version. The fact that both versions are mentioned in your verCheck makes me pretty confident that this is the cause of your problems.

The best course of action is as follows:
1. clean the computer from all versions of the driver pack 3 and of the Bitflow SDK
2. restart the computer
3. Install the driver pack (which will come with the Bitflow SDK)
4. restart the computer

However, in step 1 a thorough clean-up is required to solve the problem, as you noticed Bitflow can be difficult to remove. I'll include some step-by-step instructions below, but this is quite a lengthy process so we can organise a remote session to do it if you have trouble.

0. Open "Programs and features"
1. Uninstall Andor Driver Pack 3.
2. Uninstall Andor Solis.
3. Uninstall the latest version of the Bitflow SDK.
4. Uninstall all previous versions of the Bitflow SDK (this will not work and Windows will propose to remove them from the list of installed applications to which you should reply yes).
5. Open Windows explorer and navigate to the root of the C drive. Delete all Bitflow SDK folders on the C drive.
7. Empty the recycle bin to make sure the Bitflow SDK folders are completely gone from the computer.
8. Open the Device Manager. Under “Imaging devices” you should find two “Bitflow Karbon” entries.
9. Right-click on each entry and select “uninstall”. NOTE: Windows will display a new dialog to confirm the uninstall. That dialog may contain a checkbox stating “Delete the driver software for this device”. Make sure the checkbox is checked before pressing “OK”.
10. Still in the device manager, go to the “Action” menu and press “Scan for hardware changes”.
There are 2 possible outputs:
  11a. The entry “Imaging devices” appears again with two “Bitflow Karbon” entries in it. In this case uninstall those entries again as in step 9.
  11b. The entries do not appear again. In this case wait a couple of seconds then repeat step 10 (if after 3 attempts the entries don't come back you're done, the computer is clean).
12. Repeat steps 10 and 11a/11b as long as “Imaging devices” comes back with the Karbon entries.
13. Restart the computer.
14. Re-install Andor Solis (if required).
15. Re-install Andor Driver Pack 3 (in the Micro-Manager directory).
16. Restart the computer.

Steps 9, 10 and 11 are important to make sure the computer is cleaned.

Let me know if this was any help, or if you want to organise a remote session.

Thanks,
Jack Gaston
Software Engineer
It seems like there are two versions of bitflow installed: 5.6 and 6.2 that I can see in my programs. I tried uninstalling it in the Apps & Features window, but it doesn't appear to work... Otherwise, there is only one version of Andor Solis and the driver.

Thanks,

Dora

AndorThirdParty wrote

> Hi Dora,
>
> I want to find out a bit more about the status of your Bitflow
> installation. In your Bitflow directory (e.g. "C:\BitFlow SDK 6.20\")
> there is an application VerCheck.exe. After running can then save the
> output as a text file. Could you run it and send me the output.
>
> In your C drive do you have more than one Bitflow installation?
>
> Can you check in  your Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features if
> there are multiple version of the Andor SDK, the Andor drivers or
> Bitflow installed?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack Gaston
> Software Engineer

Re: -|SPOOF|- Re: -|EXT|- Andor Zyla 4.2 configuration problem

AndorThirdParty
Hi Dora,

I just realised you shouldn't have to re-install Andor Solis, so ignore steps 2 and 14 below. Your driver pack should install the latest Bitflow, and Solis should pick that up. Potentially the older version of Bitflow was installed with your version of Solis.

Thanks,
Jack Gaston
Software Engineer