Andor dropping a couple frames out of ten thousand

Andor dropping a couple frames out of ten thousand

Sam Lord
Hi all,

(This is a different issue from the CCD temperature readout on USB cameras.)

I found a new issue with our Andor cameras dropping a couple (e.g. 2-20)
frames out of 10,000. If I do a MDA acquisition with 10,000 frames and zero
delay, I’ll get 9,998 or so frames and then a timeout error. (We originally
observed this intermittently with a more complex MDA with sequenced z-stacks
and channels, but this streaming is the simplest way for me to replicate.)
This happens with both our USB as well as our PCI-based cameras. It does not
happen with our Photometrics Prime95B camera.

I'm not sure if this is real, but it seems to correlate with newer nightly
builds having a longer delay between clicking the "Acquire" button and the
acquisition starting.

I tracked it down with our USB Andor iXon Ultra to the following nightly
builds from a couple years ago:

20160229 does NOT have the error
20160301 and newer builds do have the error

Error log attached below.

Sam

20181212_andor_error.txt
<http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/t326535/20181212_andor_error.txt>

Re: Andor dropping a couple frames out of ten thousand

JonD
Administrator
Hi Sam,

Sam Lord wrote
> 20160229 does NOT have the error
> 20160301 and newer builds do have the error

This localizes the bug to the following change:
https://valelab4.ucsf.edu/trac/micromanager/changeset/15957.

I have zero knowledge of this code or if the author of this patch still
works for Andor, but I suggest contacting Andor with this information.
You've done the hardest part already: narrowing down to 10s of lines of code
and have a way to reproduce the problem.

Jon