Arduino LED power control

David Knecht
I currently use the Arduino board with a TTL pulse to turn a Thorlabs LEDD1b  controller to turn LEDs off and on through Micro-manager.  The LEDD1b has the capability of modulating the LED power by controlling the voltage pulse.  Is Micro-manager/Arduino capable of supplying varying voltage or a modulated voltage to allow LED brightness control?  Thanks- Dave

David Knecht, Ph.D.
Professor and Head of Core Microscopy Facility
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
U-3125
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269
860-486-2200
860-486-4331 (fax)

Re: Arduino LED power control

Kurt Thorn
My understanding is the the LEDD1b just has digital control of the LED through the TTL interface. This means that to modulate the LED brightness you'd need to use pulse width or pulse frequency modulation.  I don't believe this is included in the Arduino driver and firmware with micro-manager, but it would be pretty easy to write your own.  The arduino programming environment includes some commands to make this pretty easy: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/PWM

Kurt

On 1/11/2014 7:29 AM, David Knecht wrote:
I currently use the Arduino board with a TTL pulse to turn a Thorlabs LEDD1b  controller to turn LEDs off and on through Micro-manager.  The LEDD1b has the capability of modulating the LED power by controlling the voltage pulse.  Is Micro-manager/Arduino capable of supplying varying voltage or a modulated voltage to allow LED brightness control?  Thanks- Dave

David Knecht, Ph.D.
Professor and Head of Core Microscopy Facility
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
U-3125
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269
860-486-2200
860-486-4331 (fax)

Kurt Thorn
Director, Nikon Imaging Center
http://nic.ucsf.edu/blog/

Re: Arduino LED power control

Mark Tsuchida-2
Hi Dave,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM, David Knecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I looked at the LEDD1b manual and in the current model, in Trigger mode, the
> LED is on/off with a 0/5V TTL signal.  The power is controlled by the knob.
> In Modulation mode, the LED power is controlled by the voltage between 0 and
> 5V so you can modulate, but you also should be able to to power ocntrol in
> software if the Arduino or some other board could generate different voltage
> signals.  Dave

Standard Arduino boards do not have a DAC. The Arduino Due (which has
a 32-bit processor and is quite different form the usual 8-bit
Arduinos like the Uno) does have a DAC, although its output range is
0.55-2.75 V.

An easier way to do this might be to use the Arduino's PWM
(pulse-width modulation) output, which is called "analog output" in
some of Arduino literature. The LEDD1b should be able to handle 5V PWM
in Trigger mode. I'm pretty sure the LED driver converts the analog
("Modulated") input into PWM anyway.

However, the Micro-Manager Arduino firmware and device adapter do not
currently have this capability.

Best,
Mark

Re: Arduino LED power control

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Ricardo,

You can email the files to info at micro-manager.org.  It would be nicest if your code still contains the original Arduino firmware and device adapter so that we could simply replace it.  If not, we should name your code something else (ArduinoPWM?).

[...]

Vale Lab
HHMI / Dept. of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology
University of California, San Francisco
Genentech Hall, Room N316
600 16th street
San Francisco, CA 94158-2517

phone: (415) 514-3927
fax: (415) 476-5233

Re: Arduino LED power control

Matt Jones

Sorry to add to this thread, but were Ricardo's modifications ever incorporated into the Arduino device adapter? I'm running a recent nightly build of MM but can't see any documentation to described how to output a PWM signal using the Arduino.

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Arduino LED power control

Mark Tsuchida-2
Hi Matt,

On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 04:26:25AM -0700, Matt Jones wrote:
> Sorry to add to this thread, but were Ricardo's modifications ever
> incorporated into the Arduino device adapter? I'm running a recent nightly
> build of MM but can't see any documentation to described how to output a PWM
> signal using the Arduino.

Not yet - I was waiting for the correct files from Ricardo; just sent
him an email asking if they're available.

Best,
Mark

--
Mark Tsuchida
Micro-Manager Team (UCSF Vale Lab)

Re: Arduino LED power control

Marie Manytree
Hi Matt and Ricardo, I would like to use a PWM output from an Arduino Uno via the Micro-Manager device adapter as well. I can see that your post are already a bit older, but perhaps you found a nice solution in the end? Arduino+my code work fine without MM and Arduino+MM work fine with the firmware, too. Now I want to incorporate my code into the firmware... I would be very grateful if you would share your previous experiences our even files with me. Or if the PWM functionality has been incorporated in the device adapter in the meantime, I would be happy if someone could point out to me how to use it with the switch states. Thanks a lot, Marie

Re: Arduino LED power control

Matt Jones
Marie Manytree wrote
Hi Matt and Ricardo,

I would like to use a PWM output from an Arduino Uno via the Micro-Manager device adapter as well. I can see that your post are already a bit older, but perhaps you found a nice solution in the end?

Arduino+my code work fine without MM and Arduino+MM work fine with the firmware, too. Now I want to incorporate my code into the firmware...

I would be very grateful if you would share your previous experiences our even files with me.

Or if the PWM functionality has been incorporated in the device adapter in the meantime, I would be happy if someone could point out to me how to use it with the switch states.

Thanks a lot,
Marie
Hi Marie,

I'm afraid I wasn't able to successfully incorporate PWM into the device adapter, so if you have something that works I'd be interested to try it.

Cheers,
Matt

Re: Arduino LED power control

Volko Straub
Dear Marie & Matt,

I managed to implement PWM using an Arduino board  with MM to control a custom build LED light source. I had meant to write this up for some time, but just haven't found the time. The Arduino code is heavily based on the firmware code that is available on the MM website (https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Arduino). My modified Arduino sketch is attached (LED Adapter with PWM 3.ino).

A very brief summary of the features/operation:

I use digital pins 5, 6, 10 and 11 to create PWM signals to control up to 4 different LEDs. The intensity (length of PWM pulses) for digital pins 6, 10 and 11 is determined by the variables intBlue, intGreen and intUV (can be values between 0 and 255). The intensity of digital pin 5 (used to control a white LED) can be controlled via a potentiometer connected to analog Input pin 4 (A4).

The code uses analog input pin 5 to switch between a manual control mode and MM control. This is not necessary if the LED light source only needs to be controlled via MM, but I find it occasionally useful to be able to just switch on the LEDs without having to turn on the PC running MM. Once pin A5 is switched from MM mode to manual mode, the four LEDs can be switched on/off via switches connected to analog input pins 0-3.

Once you have connected the Arduino board to your PC and uploaded the sketch to the Arduino board, add the Arduino-Hub, Arduino-Switch and Arduino-Shutter to your Hardware configuration.
The table below shows the switch states and corresponding pins:

Switch state Digital Pin
2  --> 5
4  --> 6
8  --> 10
16 --> 11

You should then be able to control the LEDs by altering the Arduino switch states from MM.

To illustrate my set-up, I attach an image of the connection layout between the Arduino board and my LED controller (it doesn't show the actually circuit for the LED controller, but shows connections of LEDs and switches to Arduino; this was created with Autodesk Circuits which I found very useful to test the Arduino code and simulate its output, the simulated oscilloscopes and multimeters are simply there for monitoring purposes).

I hope that this makes some sense and is of some use.

Regards,
Volko

/
/

>  Arduino+MM work fine with the firmware, too. Now I want to
> incorporate my code into the firmware...
>
> I would be very grateful if you would share your previous experiences
> our even files with me.
>
> Or if the PWM functionality has been incorporated in the device
> adapter in the meantime, I would be happy if someone could point out
> to me how to use it with the switch states.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Marie
Hi Marie,

I'm afraid I wasn't able to successfully incorporate PWM into the device adapter, so if you have something that works I'd be interested to try it.

Cheers,
Matt

LED_Adapter_with_PWM_3.ino (18K) Download Attachment
Arduino PWM LED controller.jpg (95K) Download Attachment

Re: Arduino LED power control

Jones, Matthew A
Thanks Volko,

This looks promising. Apologies if this is a foolish question- but I don’t see how MM is altering the PWM values in your code; if I’m reading it correctly you’re inputing PWM directly into Arduino code (which is great!)- but you’re still not able to change the PWM settings from within the MM GUI/Beanshell?

Matt Jones PhD FHEA
Lecturer in Molecular Biology
University of Essex
T  01206 874740