Arduino TTL during Multi-Dimensional Acquisition

Arduino TTL during Multi-Dimensional Acquisition

Goldschen, Marcel
Hi y’all, I have an Arduino Uno connected and configured in MicroManager as described here (https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Arduino) with digital TTL output going to several lasers. It’s working to the extent that I can turn my lasers on/off individually from within MicroManager by setting the Arduino switch state for each laser and opening the shutter. However, when I run a Multi-Dimension Acquisition with two channels corresponding to two of my lasers, instead of having the two lasers alternate as I expect, the first laser in the sequence remains on the whole time and the next laser never turns on. I’ve tried turning sequence mode both on and off, but doesn’t seem to make any difference. Do I have to have blanking on and a trigger input (e.g. from my camera) to pin 2 for the TTL sequences to work in MDA? Or am I missing something else?

Cheers,
Marcel

---------------------------------------
Marcel Goldschen-Ohm | Assistant Professor, Department of Neuroscience
The University of Texas at Austin
 | 100 24th St E, NHB 4.352, Austin TX 78712 | 512-232-1677

Re: Arduino TTL during Multi-Dimensional Acquisition

Goldschen, Marcel
Ok, so I’ve solved this by simply plugging a camera’s trigger output into pin 2 and turning blanking on. Not sure why it won’t work without that, but since the camera will be there anyways for the real deal, I guess it’s a non issue now. On another note, although camera triggered Arduino output now successfully controls my lasers during MDA, for some reason I now can’t turn the lasers on/off manually via the MM gui. I’ve tried turning sequencing and blanking and shutter on and off in every combination (I think) to no avail. This seems weird, so I must be missing something? Do I have to literally unplug the camera trigger input from pin 2 (haven’t tried that yet)?

Cheers,
Marcel

---------------------------------------

On 3/16/18 2:51 PM, Goldschen, Marcel wrote:

> Hi y’all, I have an Arduino Uno connected and configured in
> MicroManager as described here
> (https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Arduino) with digital TTL output going
> to several lasers. It’s working to the extent that I can turn my
> lasers on/off individually from within MicroManager by setting the
> Arduino switch state for each laser and opening the shutter. However,
> when I run a Multi-Dimension Acquisition with two channels
> corresponding to two of my lasers, instead of having the two lasers
> alternate as I expect, the first laser in the sequence remains on the
> whole time and the next laser never turns on. I’ve tried turning
> sequence mode both on and off, but doesn’t seem to make any
> difference. Do I have to have blanking on and a trigger input (e.g.
> from my camera) to pin 2 for the TTL sequences to work in MDA?
You don't need to, but using blanking will help reducer the time your
sample is illuminated.

> Or am I missing something else?

Sounds to me like your Channel group definition is off.  All you need in
your Channel definition is the Arduino Switch-State (you can add other
stuff, but never add the Shutter-State).  One preset for each channel,
and your MDA should be ready to go.  Not sure what you have in those
presets, but there is something funky.