Autofocus with triggered piezo z stack

Chris O'Connell

I’m trying to use MM 2.0.0 beta3 to do triggered time lapse z stacks with our spinning disk, TiE PFS and ASI MS-2000 piezo z stage.

Here is what I expect to happen when setting the “CoreFocus” motor as “Z stage”:

1. -Lock focus on the center of the specimen with PFS

2. -Use “Relative z” to set a range around that focal plane, i.e. “Start z” = -5 um and “End z” = 5 um for a 10 um z stack.

3. -PFS should turn off, piezo move to –5 um, acquire the 10 um z stack with the piezo, PFS relocks at same center position, turns off for next z stack, piezo moves to -5, etc., repeat.

4. -The PFS offset position is always used as the center of the z range

What I observe is different.  The above works for the first point in the timelapse.  PFS turns off and a 10 um stack is acquired with the sample in the center and then PFS turns back on.  However, for the second and subsequent z stacks, after PFS turns off each time there is movement of the Ti motor to -5 um, then a -5 to 5 um z stack is acquired with the piezo.  But that -5 um shift of the Ti motor moves the focus for a total of -10 um so that the sample is now shifted to the end of the z range.

Is my expectation of how autofocus is integrated into the acquisition wrong?  Why would it behave one way for the first time point but different for the rest?  I should point out that this problem only happens with the piezo set as the CoreFocus.  When the Ti motor is used it works as expected. Any insight is appreciated.

Chris O’Connell, PhD

Director, Advanced Light Microscopy Facility

University of Connecticut

Department of Physiology & Neurobiology

75 North Eagleville Road, U-3156

Storrs, CT 06269-3156

Office: 860-486-3271

[hidden email]

www.confocal.uconn.edu

Re: Autofocus with triggered piezo z stack

JonD
Administrator
Chris O'Connell wrote
> ... after PFS turns off each time there is movement of the Ti motor to -5
> um ...

It seems to me that this is crux.  Can you make the Ti motor stay put when
PFS turns off?

Jon

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

Re: Autofocus with triggered piezo z stack

Chris O'Connell
Hi Jon,

Yes, If I uncheck "Autofocus," center the sample with the Ti motor, and then use the piezo to section a relative range from -5 to 5 um around that it works perfectly for each time point and there is no change to the Ti motor position.