Autoshutter with Andor Laser Combiner and CoolLED pE-100

Autoshutter with Andor Laser Combiner and CoolLED pE-100

bugalo
Hi,

In our microscope, the Bright-field illumination is provided by a CoolLED
pE-100, controlled by an Andor Laser Combiner. I can successfully control
the On and Off state of the CoolLED by changing the DOUT5 property of the
AndorLaserCombiner from 1 to 0. I created the following BrightField channel
in my configuration file:

# Preset: BrightField Widefield
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,TIEpiShutter,State,0
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,TIFilterBlock1,Label,1------
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,TIFilterBlock2,Label,1------
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,TILightPath,Label,3-Right100
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,AndorLaserCombiner,DOUT5,1
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,LMM5-Shutter,405nm-1,0
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,LMM5-Shutter,488nm-2,0
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,LMM5-Shutter,561nm-3,0
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,LMM5-Shutter,640nm-4,0
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Filter Wheel,State,6
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Dichroic Mirror,State,0
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Shutter,State,Closed
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Port,State,0
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Bright
Field,BrightFieldPort,Bright Field
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Aperture,State,9
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,Core,AutoShutter,1
ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,Core,Shutter,AndorLaserCombiner

When I select this channel in Micro-manager, the CoolLED automatically turns
on, and its state does not change when pressing live or stop, i.e. the
AutoShutter is not working as expected.

So my question is: is there a way to successfully configure my setup to use
AutoShutter with the AndorLaserCombiner? How can it tell AutoShutter to
control just the DOUT5 for this channel?

As a reference, the auto shutter used to work as expected when using iQ3,
before the switch to Micro-manager.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Autoshutter with Andor Laser Combiner and CoolLED pE-100

Nico Stuurman-2

On 2/15/18 1:59 AM, bugalo wrote:

> In our microscope, the Bright-field illumination is provided by a CoolLED
> pE-100, controlled by an Andor Laser Combiner. I can successfully control
> the On and Off state of the CoolLED by changing the DOUT5 property of the
> AndorLaserCombiner from 1 to 0. I created the following BrightField channel
> in my configuration file:
>

> # Preset: BrightField Widefield
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,TIEpiShutter,State,0
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,TIFilterBlock1,Label,1------
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,TIFilterBlock2,Label,1------
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,TILightPath,Label,3-Right100
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,AndorLaserCombiner,DOUT5,1
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,LMM5-Shutter,405nm-1,0
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,LMM5-Shutter,488nm-2,0
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,LMM5-Shutter,561nm-3,0
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,LMM5-Shutter,640nm-4,0
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Filter Wheel,State,6
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Dichroic Mirror,State,0
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Shutter,State,Closed
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Port,State,0
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Bright
> Field,BrightFieldPort,Bright Field
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,CSUW1-Aperture,State,9
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,Core,AutoShutter,1
> ConfigGroup,BF-Channel,BrightField Widefield,Core,Shutter,AndorLaserCombiner

Do you have both a LMM5 laser combiner and a Andor LaserCombiner (that
you only use for a single digital output)?

Word of advice: Restrict your Channel settings to the minimal number of
properties that is absolutely essential.  For instance, I would never
add the CSU shutter in a channel configuration, since it is only a
safety shutter.  Open it on startup, and close on shutdown and otherwise
do not touch  it (each property you add will incur communication
overhead and possibly lead to problems).  Also, do not add shutter
states to a channel configuration directly.  For the LMM5, you will
improve performance by using the "State" property rather than the
individual laser line properties (that are merely there to help you set
the correct state.

As for your LaserCombiner DOUT problem, the Andor LaserCombiner device
adapter code does not treat the digital outs as a shutter, i.e., the
property sets the state directly, and opening or closing the
AndorLaserCombiner shutter does not change its state.  If you want that
digital out to be shuttered, either change the adapter code so that it
is shuttered, or use a digital output device (such as an Arduino) that
does this for you.

Re: -|EXT|- Autoshutter with Andor Laser Combiner and CoolLED pE-100

AndorThirdParty

I'm not familiar with the auto shutter mechanism but my guess is that it is controlled through the Fire method of the MM::Shutter class. Based on that assumption and looking at the ALC adapter the auto shutter only controls the laser shutter of the ALC. DOUT signals are only controlled when property values are modified.
So in its current state the ALC adapter can't do what you are trying to achieve. However your question has started a discussion internally on the possibility to add an option in the adapter that would make the DOUT signals work with the auto shutter feature. I'll get back to you when I know more.

Regards,

Christophe Messaouik
Senior Software Engineer

Re: -|EXT|- Autoshutter with Andor Laser Combiner and CoolLED pE-100

bugalo
Thanks a lot for your reply, Christophe.

Please, let me know when you know more about how to fix this issue.

ZeissCAN29

Christian Bayer
Dear Nico,
thank you very much for writing the ZeissCAN29 adapter.
I am trying to load MMConfig_ZeissCAN29.cfg without an AxioImager Z2 attached for running some simulations on controlling the z-stage.
In particular, I I get the MM error message „Failed to load device „DemoStreamingCamera“ … Falied to load module „mmgr_dal_DemoStreamingCamera …“
Do I have to change the cfg file? Could you please advise how?
Best regards,
Christian

P.S.: For controlling the z-stage, I need mainly the commands getposition(), setposition() and WaitForDevice() as well as a RS232 serial null modem cable (bought one from StarTech - FTDI USB to RS232 serial Null Modem Adapter Cable). Right?

Re: ZeissCAN29

Christian Bayer

Gesendet mit der Telekom Mail App

-----Original-Nachricht-----

On 2/28/18 1:29 AM, Christian Dr. Bayer wrote:
> I am trying to load MMConfig_ZeissCAN29.cfg without an AxioImager Z2 attached for running some simulations on controlling the z-stage.
> In particular, I I get the MM error message „Failed to load device „DemoStreamingCamera“ … Falied to load module „mmgr_dal_DemoStreamingCamera …“
> Do I have to change the cfg file? Could you please advise how?

That was a very old config file that included a demo device taht is no
longer available.  I deleted the link to that file altogether.

I am a bit unclear about what you try to accomplish, but you certainly
should create your own configuration file.

See: https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Micro-Manager_Configuration_Guide

Re: Autoshutter with Andor Laser Combiner and CoolLED pE-100

bugalo
I just wanted to follow up on the issue. As Nico suggested, we bought an
Arduino Uno and use it to control the pe-100. It is now working as a shutter
without issues. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Also, about your advice of keeping the properties in the channel definition
to the essential minimum, I understand your reasoning about the CSU shutter.
Do you identify any other property that I should not be changing in this
channel?

Thank you.