Axio-observer USB connection

tsuchyna
We just purchased a new Axio-Observer Z1 that communicates with the
computer via a USB wire. I tried using micromanager to control
microscope and subsequently found out that USB control of the
Axio-Observer is not supported "yet".

I am trying to decide if I should get a serial port connector which
micromanager appears to currently support. Is there anyone actively
trying to develop the USB interface through micromanager? Is this
something that will be ready within the next month?

I would prefer the USB connection. We have a software developer in our
lab that may be able to write this for me, but I don't want to take up
his time developing the USB interface if it is almost complete.

Thanks

Tom

--
Thomas M. Suchyna, Ph.D.
Dept. of Physiology and Biophysics

Re: Axio-observer USB connection

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Thomas,

> We just purchased a new Axio-Observer Z1 that communicates with the
> computer via a USB wire. I tried using micromanager to control
> microscope and subsequently found out that USB control of the
> Axio-Observer is not supported "yet".
>
> I am trying to decide if I should get a serial port connector which
> micromanager appears to currently support. Is there anyone actively
> trying to develop the USB interface through micromanager? Is this
> something that will be ready within the next month?

No it is not.  We do not have an AxioObserver, so can not actively
work on this.  Last time I tried, there was a problem initializing the
USB traffic, but once it was going it seemed to work alright. The
workaround (use a serial cable) is so easy that it does not seem worth
the effort to fix this (which potentially is a long process).  Also do
note that our solution does not work with the driver provided by Zeiss

> I would prefer the USB connection. We have a software developer in our
> lab that may be able to write this for me, but I don't want to take up
> his time developing the USB interface if it is almost complete.

I am happy to give him the details.  However, if you want the scope to
work now, it will be quickest to just get a serial port and cable.