CAN bus control of the shutter on the Zeiss/Kubler HXP 120 C fluorescence illuminator

CAN bus control of the shutter on the Zeiss/Kubler HXP 120 C fluorescence illuminator

Kyle Douglass-2

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to remotely control the shutter on a HXP 120 C fluorescence illuminator with Micro-Manager's CAN29 device adapter through the CAN interface cable? When I try to add the ZeissHXPShutter device to my MM configuration I receive an error stating

'Error in device "ZeissHXPShutter": This shutter is not installed in this Zeiss microscope (10014)'

A few notes:

- I have connected the CAN bus port on our Zeiss Axio Observer D1 to the CAN bus port on the illuminator.
- I have set the shutter switch on the illuminator to the "Remote" setting.
- I am not familiar with the CAN bus, so it's highly possible that the microscope is not meant to be connected directly to the illuminator through this cable. The manual is not helpful on this point.
- It's also possible that only an Axio Observer model Z1 (ours is a D1) can control the shutter, as in this thread: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/Zeiss-HXP-120-td7578226.html
- I'm aware that the shutter may be controlled via a RS-232 port, but I thought this might save some time if it worked.

Thanks everyone!

Kyle