Calibration of RAMPS-controlled stage

Straub, Volko A. (Dr.)

Dear All,

I wonder if anybody could help with some problems I have encountered trying to use the RAMPS device adapter to control a XYZ stage.

I recently replaced a defunct XYZ stage controller with an Arduino Mega / RAMPS 1.4 board and use the RAMPS device adapter to control the stage from MicroManager 2 gamma installed on a Windows 10 PC.

In order to get this to work I had to use the Sprinter firmware for the RAMPS board as the newer Marlin firmware always produced an error when trying to add it to the configuration – error code: 110. This appears to have something to do with stage movement based on this line in the device adapter code (line 33 in RAMPS.h):

#define ERR_STAGE_MOVING         110

Using the Sprinter firmware and a bit of trial and error, I can now move all three axis from Micromanager. However, I don’t appear to be able to calibrate the stage movements. I have tried to alter the RAMPSXYStage-Step Size in the device property browser (see screenshot below), but that doesn’t appear to have any effect on the actual stage movements. I also played around with the other RAMPSHub properties such as acceleration, velocity and settle time, but again none of these appear to have any effect on the actual stage movements.

So, has anybody had any success calibrating stage movements using the RAMPS adapter? What settings were required? Also, did anybody have success getting the Marlin firmware for the RAMPS board to work with Micromanager (I saw a post on the mailing list a little while ago, but there were no details on required settings to get it to work).

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions,

Volko

Re: Calibration of RAMPS-controlled stage

tron
Volko,

Straub, Volko A. (Dr.) @ 13/08/2019 09:56 -0600 dixit:

> Using the Sprinter firmware and a bit of trial and error, I can now move
> all three axis from Micromanager. However, I don’t appear to be able to
> calibrate the stage movements. I have tried to alter the
> RAMPSXYStage-Step Size in the device property browser (see screenshot
> below), but that doesn’t appear to have any effect on the actual stage
> movements. I also played around with the other RAMPSHub properties such
> as acceleration, velocity and settle time, but again none of these
> appear to have any effect on the actual stage movements.
>
> So, has anybody had any success calibrating stage movements using the
> RAMPS adapter? What settings were required? Also, did anybody have
> success getting the Marlin firmware for the RAMPS board to work with
> Micromanager (I saw a post on the mailing list a little while ago, but
> there were no details on required settings to get it to work).

I've used a GRBL controller with uM recently. I had to touch the GRBL
code because of some commands that the RAMPS device uses that were not
supported, but it works.
Going to your subject matter, GCODE is supposed to be based in
milimeters, so the calibration has to be done inside the controller,
usually by setting steps/mm ratio in some controller variable.

(If by calibration you mean having meaningfull distances in micromanager)

HTH,
--
Carlos G Mendioroz  <[hidden email]>

Carlos G Mendioroz

Re: Calibration of RAMPS-controlled stage

Straub, Volko A. (Dr.)

> Using the Sprinter firmware and a bit of trial and error, I can now
> move all three axis from Micromanager. However, I don't appear to be
> able to calibrate the stage movements. I have tried to alter the
> RAMPSXYStage-Step Size in the device property browser (see screenshot
> below), but that doesn't appear to have any effect on the actual stage
> movements. I also played around with the other RAMPSHub properties
> such as acceleration, velocity and settle time, but again none of
> these appear to have any effect on the actual stage movements.
>
> So, has anybody had any success calibrating stage movements using the
> RAMPS adapter? What settings were required? Also, did anybody have
> success getting the Marlin firmware for the RAMPS board to work with
> Micromanager (I saw a post on the mailing list a little while ago, but
> there were no details on required settings to get it to work).

I've used a GRBL controller with uM recently. I had to touch the GRBL code because of some commands that the RAMPS device uses that were not supported, but it works.
Going to your subject matter, GCODE is supposed to be based in milimeters, so the calibration has to be done inside the controller, usually by setting steps/mm ratio in some controller variable.

(If by calibration you mean having meaningfull distances in micromanager)

HTH,
--
Carlos G Mendioroz  <[hidden email]>

Thanks Carlos,
I managed to calibrate my stage by altering the steps/unit parameters in the Sprinter firmware.
I had just assumed that this would also be possible from Micromanager as the device property browser shows Step Size as an editable parameter.
Regards,
Volko