Camera recommendation for unique scenario

Camera recommendation for unique scenario

Justin Wells
Hello,

My name is Justin and i'm looking for a camera recommendation or at least a finger in the right direction.  I'm looking for a camera to perform some machine vision tasks.  Ideally, I want it to be able to see an embryo which is ~300um in diameter (roughly the size of a grain of sand).  I do not need the ability to see specific cell structures, just the figure of the embryo.  The embryo will descend through a clear tube of liquid which will pass through the field of view of the camera.  I have been looking at various Basler ace/dart cameras but wanted to see if there was something better or cost effective.  I would imagine I would need both a camera and lens with a resolution of 5MP. I'm looking for something that is hopefully <$1000.  As far as connectivity, I have been looking at USB connection but am open to other suggestions as this will be hooked up to some dev board for initial testing.

Thanks in advance,
-Justin

Re: Camera recommendation for unique scenario

jackprune
I'm sure Point Grey Camera ( owned by FLIR ) has a USB3 camera to do what you need and cheap too. I'm using their Chameleon3 for different app. And I know somebody just bought a BlackFly model for light-sheet microscopy. We're both using MicroManager.

Here is the Point Grey camera selector. Find somebody that knows cameras to help you select. When I bought, FLIR was acquiring Point Grey and they had little inventory. I selected my camera from their camera selector, but had to buy it at Edmund Optics.

good luck

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 9:48 PM Justin Wells <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ti_Sapph
Justin,

The Point Grey cameras are great and low-cost.  I have one of the Chameleon3 cameras that does a great job.

Another option is IDS.  They use many of the same sensor chips as the Point Grey cameras.  They're a bit more money (still well less than $1000) but I have had better luck with their set-up and trigger interface.  They have had more cameras in stock in the past (IDS had a model I wanted in stock, Point Grey had a 3-6 month wait for the comparable option).

Both options take great pictures and can be driven by MicroManager.

Thanks
Rusty

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Justin Wells <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Karl Bellve-3

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 11:37 PM dave dowless <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm sure Point Grey Camera ( owned by FLIR ) has a USB3 camera to do what you need and cheap too. I'm using their Chameleon3 for different app. And I know somebody just bought a BlackFly model for light-sheet microscopy. We're both using MicroManager.

Here is the Point Grey camera selector. Find somebody that knows cameras to help you select. When I bought, FLIR was acquiring Point Grey and they had little inventory. I selected my camera from their camera selector, but had to buy it at Edmund Optics.

I have had great success at ordering Pt. Grey cameras from avsupply ( avsupply.com ) at much below MSRP, unlike Edmund Optics. I received the cameras in a few weeks, even when backordered.

Cheers

Karl

Karl Bellvé
Biomedical Imaging Group