Camera

T. Dylan Olver
Greetings,

I am trying to set up a vessel myography unit. I have an Amscope MU503 camera that works with the Amscope software. However, I am not certain it is being recognized by uManager and it is not being recognized by Vasotracker software.

uManager - the initialization properties in the latest version read: Device: Amscope, Property: Model, Value: MU1403. Is the issue that it is not recognizing or does not support the MU503?

If I proceed with the configuration and save it as a .cfg file, and then load vasotracker, it is suppose to read the .cfg file. However, it does not read that file.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this from either end are much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Dylan

Re: Camera

GeoffP
Hi Dylan,

I have a similar problem and been been using MicroManager (MM) and ImageJ for more than a year with phase contrast light microscopy to measure grey levels.

I have been using two cameras, an Amscope MU503B, and a Tucsen ISH500.   For both cameras, I had significant problems with an old version of ImageJ which was embedded in MM which could not use ‘live’ Plot Profile and showed incorrect grey levels when the image was changed.  This problem was solved when I used a recent (2019) nightly build ImageJ as I found out the old embedded Imagej was around 2010.

Unfortunately, there seems a major fault with MM and/or ImageJ where there are large differences between Plot Profile on a saved image (which gives stable and accurate results) compared to using Plot Profile on a live image (which gives variable and non-linear results).  As an aside, note that the images from the Tucsen camera are nicely linear, whereas the images from the Amscope camera are not (meaning there is not a linear relationship between grey levels and exposure time).  The Tucsen camera non-linearity can be corrected but not the MM/ImageJ live image problem.

For some inexplicable reason several months ago, the Amscope camera would load into MM without visible errors but only display a black screen even though the camera worked OK with the Amscope software.  The manufacturer has not been able to assist, and posts to the forum have produced no responses.

In summary, the three major problems I am trying to solve are to:

  1. be able to connect the Amscope MU503B camera to MM and ImageJ - only a black screen both in monochrome and RGB are possible.  Camera can connect OK with its own software.
  2. be able to get the same grey levels using ImageJ Plot Profile whether on a ‘live’ image or a saved one - there are major differences here with live images giving variable and non-linear results whereas the saved images are reliable and linear for the Tucsen camera and reliably non-linear for the Amscope camera.
  3. I cannot get my new ImageJ to automatically start when I start MM.  I have to go to the Menu and select ‘Micromanager' and 'Micromanager Studio’.

Regards,

Geoff Pickford

Pickford Resources Pty Ltd
PO Box 8046, West Ballina, NSW, 2478