Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

nanthony
I am trying to use a PIXIS1024 camera. After initially trying the PICAM and
PVCAM drivers I looked online and found that I probably need to use the
special Princeton Instruments PVCam adapter. While I can easy find the
source code for this adapter on github I haven't been able to find it in
micro manager in the hardware config wizard. How can I select it?

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

Kyle Douglass-2
Hi Nick,

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 7:18 AM, nickexists <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am trying to use a PIXIS1024 camera. After initially trying the PICAM and
PVCAM drivers I looked online and found that I probably need to use the
special Princeton Instruments PVCam adapter. While I can easy find the
source code for this adapter on github I haven't been able to find it in
micro manager in the hardware config wizard. How can I select it?

If I recall correctly, it appears under "PVCAM" when you sort the device adapters by name in the Hardware Configuration Wizard.

Please note that in Micro-Manager jargon, hardware drivers normally allow the *operating system* to interface with your hardware; a device adapter, on the other hand, allows *Micro-Manager* to interface with your hardware. You will certainly need a device adapter if you want to use your camera in Micro-Manager. You won't always need a driver though. For example, you can communicate through a serial port with many "simple" devices using Micro-Manager's serial interface.

Cameras are not usually simple devices, so you will very likely need both for Micro-Manager use.

HTH,
Kyle

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

nanthony
Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the response. When I go the the PVCAM folder in the Hardware
Configuration Wizard all I see are are four identical adapters: "Camera-x:
Universal PVCAM interface - camera slot x" where x is between 1 and 4.

If I select "Help" for these adapters I am taken to the page for the
photometrics PVCAM adapter. Is there anything additional I need to do to
make the Princeton adapter appear?

Thanks,
   Nick

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

Kyle Douglass-2
Hi Nick,

If your camera uses the PVCAM driver, then I think it will probably also use the Universal PVCAM interface device adapter that you mentioned. Have you tried simply using it with your camera and seeing whether it works in Micro-Manager?

FYI: Princeton Instruments, Photometrics, and I think QImaging are all part of the same parent company--Roper Scientific. It's possible that the same device adapter might be used for cameras from these different companies, so I would not be too concerned if you can't find "Princeton Instruments" mentioned explicitly in relation to the device adapter.

Cheers,
Kyle

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018, 17:58 nickexists <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the response. When I go the the PVCAM folder in the Hardware
Configuration Wizard all I see are are four identical adapters: "Camera-x:
Universal PVCAM interface - camera slot x" where x is between 1 and 4.

If I select "Help" for these adapters I am taken to the page for the
photometrics PVCAM adapter. Is there anything additional I need to do to
make the Princeton adapter appear?

Thanks,
   Nick

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

nanthony
Hi Kyle,

Yes I have tried using the Universal adapter but it throws an error saying
that the camera can't be found.

I already have a photometrics camera using this adapter and works fine. My
understanding is that older Princeton Instruments cameras used a slightly
different version of PVCAM, hence the dedicated adapter.

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/PrincetonInstruments

--Nick

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

Kyle Douglass-2
Hi Nick,

My apologies; I misunderstood what the problem was but I think I understand now.

I can think of a few sanity checks:

1. Does the PrincetonInstruments device adapter appear anywhere as an "Unavailable" device in the Hardware Configuration wizard? These are often devices for which you have a device adapter but not the corresponding driver.

2. Do you see a Princeton Instruments dynamic library in your Micro-Manager root folder? On Windows these are .dll files that start with lib_mmg (or something similar; I'm not at a PC to check right now).

3. Do you see anything related to the device adapter in your core logs? If it's failing to load you should see an error message there.

4. Is your OS 64 bits? The website you linked to says that the device adapter is only for 32 bit systems.

HTH,
Kyle

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018, 18:35 nickexists <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kyle,

Yes I have tried using the Universal adapter but it throws an error saying
that the camera can't be found.

I already have a photometrics camera using this adapter and works fine. My
understanding is that older Princeton Instruments cameras used a slightly
different version of PVCAM, hence the dedicated adapter.

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/PrincetonInstruments

--Nick

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

nanthony

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the advice. For the first three sanity checks the answer is 'No'. I don't see any mention of it anywhere. I'm guessing that this is probably because the answer to sanity check 4 is 'Yes', this is 64-bit windows 7.

I must have missed that in the adapter description. I wonder what someone is supposed to do for a 64-bit system. I've already tried the PICAM adapter and it throws an error. The thing is that I know that the software works on this system because it works in a demo of 'LightField'.

Maybe I'll see if Princeton Instruments can help.

--Nick

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

Hi all,

>>     I am trying to use a PIXIS1024 camera. After initially trying the PICAM and
>>     PVCAM drivers I looked online and found that I probably need to use the
>>     special Princeton Instruments PVCam adapter. While I can easy find the
>>     source code for this adapter on github I haven't been able to find it in
>>     micro manager in the hardware config wizard. How can I select it?
>

> 4. Is your OS 64 bits? The website you linked to says that the device
> adapter is only for 32 bit systems.

This is key.  PI-PVCAM is only available for 32-bits system, and the
PrincetonInstruments PVCAM device adapter only appears in the 32-bit
versions of MM.  So, you will need to run this camera on a 32-bits
Windows.  I have not installed those lately, but apparently, even
Windows 10 is still available in 32 bits.

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

nanthony
Hi Nico,

Do you think there is any possibility of being able to use this camera with a different adapter on a 64-bit OS? There is a lot of other hardware being run from this system so I'm reluctant to start all over.

The camera works fine in "LightField" from Princeton Instruments, so I would think that it must be possible. I just don't know which adapters or drivers are needed.

--Nick
>>     I am trying to use a PIXIS1024 camera. After initially trying the PICAM and
>>     PVCAM drivers I looked online and found that I probably need to use the
>>     special Princeton Instruments PVCam adapter. While I can easy find the
>>     source code for this adapter on github I haven't been able to find it in
>>     micro manager in the hardware config wizard. How can I select it?
>

> 4. Is your OS 64 bits? The website you linked to says that the device
> adapter is only for 32 bit systems.

This is key.  PI-PVCAM is only available for 32-bits system, and the
PrincetonInstruments PVCAM device adapter only appears in the 32-bit
versions of MM.  So, you will need to run this camera on a 32-bits
Windows.  I have not installed those lately, but apparently, even
Windows 10 is still available in 32 bits.

engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sdm.link_slashdot&d=DwIGaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=VOzx3RPoFiAnEjWZNVKllozJBWVHbhKhbit0V1WrFG2kkO7riI9lwQ0usSmhFkzq&m=HvES7PsY3VRMHSm8g9iTtvoO3bLSi5hAyr0g8lvhJO8&s=y4IOCEe7fHqy7Z3Se_90i-7YJbYRZYL1lW_TZKxFOAw&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.sourceforge.net_lists_listinfo_micro-2Dmanager-2Dgeneral&d=DwIGaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=VOzx3RPoFiAnEjWZNVKllozJBWVHbhKhbit0V1WrFG2kkO7riI9lwQ0usSmhFkzq&m=HvES7PsY3VRMHSm8g9iTtvoO3bLSi5hAyr0g8lvhJO8&s=9Us-6cp1wN4-1YGGLG56IoARegK37sNEGpDHwgjdTRU&e=

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

Stuurman, Nico
On 7/20/18 11:48 AM, Nicholas Michael Anthony wrote:

>>> 4. Is your OS 64 bits? The website you linked to says that the device
>>> adapter is only for 32 bit systems.
>> This is key.  PI-PVCAM is only available for 32-bits system, and the
>> PrincetonInstruments PVCAM device adapter only appears in the 32-bit
>> versions of MM.  So, you will need to run this camera on a 32-bits
>> Windows.  I have not installed those lately, but apparently, even
>> Windows 10 is still available in 32 bits.
>
> Do you think there is any possibility of being able to use this camera with a different adapter on a 64-bit OS? There is a lot of other hardware being run from this system so I'm reluctant to start all over.
>
> The camera works fine in "LightField" from Princeton Instruments, so I would think that it must be possible. I just don't know which adapters or drivers are needed.

What "driver" does "LightField" use?  If it is PICAM, then you should be
able to use that camera on 64-bit Windows with the PICAM adapter.  If it
is PVCAM, then I don't understand how it accomplishes that without a
32-bit driver.  What information do you have about that camera?

Please answer in kind, and bottom post, so that the relevant information
stays together and understandable.  I have the tendency to stop
responding if things get to mangles to understand.

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

nanthony
When I installed LightField it also went ahead and installed a bunch of
drivers. When I look in the device manager the camera shows up as "PIXIS Usb
Camera" in a category called "Princeton Instruments USB". The details
indicate that it is version 4.0.8.0.

I dug around a little more and found that in MM 1.4.22 I can use the PICAM
adapter to snap images but I attempt a live video feed then MM freezes up
entirely. In MM2 I'm not even able to snap images, I get an error saying
"Unknown error in the device."

Sorry about the formatting, I was using a browser webmail page. I'm using
Nabble now, is the formatting incorrect?

Thanks,
  Nick

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

nanthony
I have no idea what changed but when I tried MM2 this morning the PICAM
adapter worked fine.

Re: Can't find princeton instruments PVCam adapter

nanthony
For future reference, this turned out to be an issue where initialization of
the PICAM adapter for PIXIS1024 failed because a PVCAM adapter for a
Photometrics Prime 95B was already initialized. Removing the Photometrics
camera from the configuration allowed the Pixis to work.