Canon DSLR Adapter

Samuel Hildebrandt
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to buy a Canon DSLR (EOS 500D) for an older Olympus SZH10
microscope. The camera provides a remote live-view (via USB), currently
only usable with the Canon EOS utility (free of charge) or with Breeze
Systems DSLR Remote (http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/index.htm ,
commercial). I would rather control the camera with µManager.
There is a SDK from Canon, unfortunately only available in the Digital
Imaging Developer Programme (http://www.didp.canon-europa.com/).
Is there anyone working on an adapter for Canon DSLRs? If not, is anyone
able to estimate how difficult the implementation would be?

Kind regards,
Samuel

--
Samuel Hildebrandt
Dresden University of Technology

http://www.avt.et.tu-dresden.de

Re: Canon DSLR Adapter

Adrian Daerr-2
Samuel Hildebrandt schrieb:
> Is there anyone working on an adapter for Canon DSLRs? If not, is anyone
> able to estimate how difficult the implementation would be?

No idea how hard the programming task would be, but at least you can
probably get the necessary info from the source of gphoto, which can do
remote-capture on a number of cameras :

http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/137104
http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/

The EOS 500D is not listed explicitly on the last page, but many other
Canon DSLR are listed so it likely is supported as well. In any case you
can check using a Linux Live CD before.

best regards,
Adrian

Re: Canon DSLR Adapter

Hi Samual,

> I'm going to buy a Canon DSLR (EOS 500D) for an older Olympus SZH10
> microscope. The camera provides a remote live-view (via USB),
> currently
> only usable with the Canon EOS utility (free of charge) or with Breeze
> Systems DSLR Remote (http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/
> index.htm ,
> commercial). I would rather control the camera with µManager.
> There is a SDK from Canon, unfortunately only available in the Digital
> Imaging Developer Programme (http://www.didp.canon-europa.com/).
> Is there anyone working on an adapter for Canon DSLRs? If not, is
> anyone
> able to estimate how difficult the implementation would be?

I signed up for the Canon development program a few years ago (very
easy to do), but never spend time working with the SDK.  It sounds
like a fun project, and it is quite doable.  The difficulty of
implementing this depends on the experience of the person carrying it
out writing C++ code and working with hardware.  Such as a project
will be as difficult as supporting any other camera.  It would be
great if someone would pick this up.