Cobolt Laser Device Adapter Poll: mW or W?

Cobolt Laser Device Adapter Poll: mW or W?

Karl Bellve-3
I am updating the Cobolt Laser Device Adapter to support additional
commands and it looked like a few changes have been made since I
created the code back in 2009.

The device adapter properties now uses mW rather than W. It doesn't
actually show the units which is bad. Outpower seems to still be using
Watt though..

We do tend to think in mW when we think about lasers but Cobolt uses
Watts when you communicate with them via Serial port.

Do people prefer the cobolt device adapter use mW or Watts displayed
to the user?

--
Kia ora,

Karl Bellvé

Kia ora, a common Kiwi salutation, means to wish somebody life and
health in the Maori language

Re: Cobolt Laser Device Adapter Poll: mW or W?

Fernandez, Pablo

Hi Karl,

very nice to hear that are working on

the Cobolt adapters.

I would prefer mW . And it is really

annoying that the units are not shown,

correcting that would be a good thing.

Best,

pablo

Tel +49-(0)89-289-12490

E27 Zellbiophysik

Technische Universität München

James-Franck-Straße 1

D 85748 Garching b. München

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 3:41 AM Fernandez, Pablo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Karl,
<snip>
> I would prefer mW . And it is really
>
> annoying that the units are not shown,
>
> correcting that would be a good thing.

I agree. However, adding mW to the properties breaks users
configurations as I found out yesterday when I did it. :D Wow, I am
rusty with µManager code...

Because of this I won't be changing the Cobolt Device Adapter, but
creating a new one called Skyra. Yes, it will support the new Skyra
from Cobolt, but will supercede the current Cobolt Device Adapter.