Cobolt laser and micro-manager2

MonikaP
Dear MM2 users,

perhaps someone is experiencing similar problems with a Cobolt laser. When
I load the configuration, I get an error:

2018-12-06T13:48:47.641601 tid8932 [IFO,Core] Will initialize device COM7
2018-12-06T13:48:47.641601 tid8932 [IFO,dev:COM7] Failed to open serial
port \\.\COM7: CreateFileA() returned Windows system error code 5
2018-12-06T13:48:47.641601 tid8932 [ERR,Core:dev:COM7] Error in device
"COM7": Unknown error in the device (1)

COM7 is a Cobolt laser. However, if I open Hardawre Config Wizard, open
this configuration and just go through with it clicking Next 6 times, the
laser is loaded - so it's not a wrong cable or COM parameters or whatever.
After this the laser is working and I can use it, but I have to pretend to
modify the configuration every time I start MM2.

I am attaching the full CoreLog; I will write to Cobolt as well.

Dr Monika Pawłowska
Nencki Institute
02-093 Warsaw
Pasteura 3
Poland

CoreLog20181206T134845_pid4220.txt (173K) Download Attachment

Re: Cobolt laser and micro-manager2

Karl Bellve-3

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 9:03 PM Monika Pawłowska <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear MM2 users,

perhaps someone is experiencing similar problems with a Cobolt laser. When
I load the configuration, I get an error:

<snip>

This is appears to be an OS level issue or User Access Control. Error 5 is "Error Code 5: Access is denied." Micromanager isn't getting permission to open Com 7.

My guess something else has that serial (com 7) port open, or you do not have permission to open the port.

Karl Bellvé
Biomedical Imaging Group
Molecular Medicine

Re: Cobolt laser and micro-manager2

MonikaP
Dear Karl,

it does sound a bit like it. However,
-if I open Omicron Control Center instead, all 3 lasers (1x Cobolt and 2x
Luxx) are found without problem (obviously I close Omicron Control Center
before starting MM, otherwise none of the lasers are found)
-if I run Hardware Config Wizard in MM, then all the devices including
Cobolt/COM7 are found and start up
-I don't know what else could be using COM7, problem persists if I restart
Windows etc

So it feels more like something in the way/order MM is activating the COM
ports?

I also followed this instruction:
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8CLSA0
but the service I find for COM7 is FTSER2K which does not tell me much.

Regards,
Monika Pawłowska

Re: Cobolt laser and micro-manager2

Graham Bartlett
Monika, that says the COM port is actually an FTDI USB-to-serial adaptor.  If you're using a USB adaptor, have you tried a PC with a "real" serial port?  Of course, if the FTDI adaptor is inside the PI controller then you don't have much choice!

With FTDI, check that your device driver version is the latest (see the FTDI website for what version is the latest).  If you need to upgrade your device driver, it is much more reliable to disconnect all devices from USB and completely uninstall the old FTDI drivers, then insert the USB and install the new drivers.  The new FTDI drivers seem to be good, but some old versions of FTDI drivers did not work properly when you installed a new version over the top of the old version.

Best regards,

        Graham.

-if I open Omicron Control Center instead, all 3 lasers (1x Cobolt and 2x
Luxx) are found without problem (obviously I close Omicron Control Center before starting MM, otherwise none of the lasers are found) -if I run Hardware Config Wizard in MM, then all the devices including
Cobolt/COM7 are found and start up
-I don't know what else could be using COM7, problem persists if I restart Windows etc

So it feels more like something in the way/order MM is activating the COM ports?

I also followed this instruction:
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8CLSA0
but the service I find for COM7 is FTSER2K which does not tell me much.

Regards,
Monika Pawłowska

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. WARNING: Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.