Coherent Sapphire CDRH Driver unit

LukasHehn
Hi,

I have two Coherent Sapphire CDRH driver units, each attached to a laser, that I would like to implement in micro manager via usb. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong with the setup, but I tried using both the Sapphire and the coherentcube device adapters and could not control the lasers with either. The lasers certainly work outside micro manager, and I switched the driver units to remote control. I found a baud rate of 19200 for sapphire lasers in a manual, so that’s what I’ve been trying it with, but maybe that should be different because the lasers aren’t directly connected to the computer?

Hopefully someone can help me out, apologies if I missed something obvious.

Thanks,

Lukas Hehn

Re: Coherent Sapphire CDRH Driver unit

Kyle Douglass-2
Hi Lukas,

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 3:42 PM, lukas Hehn <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have two Coherent Sapphire CDRH driver units, each attached to a laser, that I would like to implement in micro manager via usb. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong with the setup, but I tried using both the Sapphire and the coherentcube device adapters and could not control the lasers with either. The lasers certainly work outside micro manager, and I switched the driver units to remote control. I found a baud rate of 19200 for sapphire lasers in a manual, so that’s what I’ve been trying it with, but maybe that should be different because the lasers aren’t directly connected to the computer?

I am using a Coherent Sapphire 488 nm laser with a CDRH driver in Micro-Manager 1.4.23 and 2.0. Actually I had the exact same problem in the beginning: the switch on the driver unit is misleading. You should set it to "Local" and not "Remote." Here are my full copied and pasted notes on using this laser on Micro-Manager:

- Be sure that the Local/Remote switch on the back of the CDRH control box is set to Local. Remote in this case refers to analog control, whereby an external voltage signal can set the power and state of the laser. Setting it to Local allows us to control the laser through a serial interface.
- The Micro-Manager device adapter for this laser is called Sapphire Laser.
- The baud rate for the laser's serial communications must be set to 19200 bps. Anything else and you will not be able to communicate with it. The terminating characters are CR LF.

I hope this helps!

Kyle

Re: Coherent Sapphire CDRH Driver unit

Nico Stuurman-2
Thanks Kyle!

I added your notes to the Sapphire page on the Micro-Manager website:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Sapphire