Compile on Win10, deploy on Win7

Maxime Deforet
Hi all,
I’m encountering difficulties as I’m trying to compile a device adapter (provided in the source) on a Windows 10 machine and deploy the DA on a Windows 7 machine. Both are 64bits. I installed the exact same nightly build on both machines (MMSetup_64bit_1.4.23_20190325.exe).
I’m building/updating a DA for the CoolLED system (related post: https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/36655369/ ).
The C++ code is pretty simple since the CoolLED communication runs on serial port, the DA doesn’t require any third-party SDK or any external module.
I compiled it successfully with Visual Studio 2010, on the Win10 machine. I put the DLL file into the micromanager 1.4.23 folder: The DA is “available” in the Wizard.
Then, I put the DLL file into the micromanager 1.4.23 folder on the Win7 machine: the DA is “unavailable” in the Wizard.

The log says:
Error: Unable to load pE4000 library: Failed to load device adapter "pE4000" [ Failed to load module "C:\Program Files\Micro-Manager-1.4\mmgr_dal_pE4000.dll" [ Le module spécifié est introuvable. ] ]
(I believe English version of “Le module spécifié est introuvable” is “file not accessible or corrupted”).

The fact that the error message is in French makes me think the error comes from Windows (my Window system in in French, but micromanager is in English).
I came across very scary discussions on StackOverflow about poor compatibility Win7/Win10 when it comes to building and distributing DLLs.

What could I do?

Thank you,
Max

Re: Compile on Win10, deploy on Win7

Micro-Manager mailing list
Hi Max,

I'm not familiar with Win10 dll issues. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable can help you later on. However, in the meantime, here's a small trick that you may find useful for your investigation.
On your Win7 machine download the 64b version of the tool called Dependency Walker (found here: http://www.dependencywalker.com/). It's a small executable packaged in a zip file so it doesn't install anything on the machine (which is important if you don't want to pollute the end-user machine).
Once you have launched it, drag and drop your dll in it and it will show you a lot of information. In the left panel you will see all the libraries your dll depends on. All entries that are red are libraries that your dll depends on but can't be found.
If your intuition is good you will likely see some specific Win10 dlls. Maybe a search online can then help you understand a bit more how to solve your issue.

I hope this helps and bonne chance.
Cheers,
Christophe

On 02/05/2019 20:08, Maxime Deforet wrote:
[...]

Error: Unable to load pE4000 library: Failed to load device adapter "pE4000" [ Failed to load module "C:\Program Files\Micro-Manager-1.4\mmgr_dal_pE4000.dll" [ Le module sp??cifi?? est introuvable. ] ]
(I believe English version of ???Le module sp??cifi?? est introuvable??? is ???file not accessible or corrupted???).

The fact that the error message is in French makes me think the error comes from Windows (my Window system in in French, but micromanager is in English).
I came across very scary discussions on StackOverflow about poor compatibility Win7/Win10 when it comes to building and distributing DLLs.

What could I do?

Thank you,
Max

Re: Compile on Win10, deploy on Win7

samuel.choblet
Dear Maxime,

If the problem comes from the French Window,  you may need to ensure the default Language your Windows platform is American English (or "UK English")

In your desktop search box,  search for "language" and open the "Language Preferences" option. In there, if American English is not an option, add it. Ensure American English is selected as the default. You may have to restart the computer after making these changes.

I don't know why but compatibility problem can happen when US/UK devices have to work with Windows which is not in English. This is weird but it does happen.

Best regards,

Samuel CHOBLET
Next exhibits we will be present at :
- Laser World of Photonics (June 24-27, Munich, Germany)

PIEZOCONCEPT
15 Rue du Bocage
69008 LYON (France)
Phone Europe : +33 (0)4 78 74 24 56
Phone USA : +1 (646) 828 9430
Email : [hidden email]

Re: Compile on Win10, deploy on Win7

Franz Reitner, pco ag

Hi Max,

probably an MSVC runtime package is missing on your W7 machine. This is typical when compiling a dll using dynamic linkage in VS.

-          Check the MSVC runtime package used and install it on your target.

-          Or use static dlls

Dipl.-Ing. (FH)

Franz Reitner

Product Development – Software

+49 (0) 9441 2005 0

PCO AG, Donaupark 11, 93309 Kelheim, Germany, www.pco.de

Vorstand / Managing Board: Dr. Emil Ott (Chairman), Alexander Grünig, Luitpold Kaspar

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Johann Plöb

USt. ID-Nr. / VAT: DE128590843, Registergericht / Register Court: Amtsgericht Regensburg HRB 9157

Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Kelheim

Re: Compile on Win10, deploy on Win7

Elliot M Steele

Hi Max,

I agree with Franz that it sounds like a MSVC runtime issue but since the 2010 runtime is installed automatically by micromanager its probably a debug/release issue. In the top bar of Visual Studio 2010 there’s a drop-down menu which is set to debug by default, switching it to release and rebuilding should hopefully fix your problem (note: the dll will appear in a slightly different place, <micromanager source directory>/build/Release/x64).

Compiling with debug on will link everything against the debug version of the C/C++ runtime. It’ll work on your windows 10 machine because the debug version of the runtime is installed by visual studio but it won’t work on any computers that don’t have visual studio installed because the uManager doesn’t come with the debug runtime (this isn’t uManager’s fault, Microsoft’s software licenses stop you from distributing the debug version). If you compile in release mode then everything will be linked against the release runtime which does ship with uManager so it should work fine on your Windows 7 machine.

Hope that helps,

Elliot

On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 08:57, Franz Reitner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Max,

probably an MSVC runtime package is missing on your W7 machine. This is typical when compiling a dll using dynamic linkage in VS.

-          Check the MSVC runtime package used and install it on your target.

-          Or use static dlls

Dipl.-Ing. (FH)

Franz Reitner

Product Development – Software

+49 (0) 9441 2005 0

PCO AG, Donaupark 11, 93309 Kelheim, Germany, www.pco.de

Vorstand / Managing Board: Dr. Emil Ott (Chairman), Alexander Grünig, Luitpold Kaspar

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Johann Plöb

USt. ID-Nr. / VAT: DE128590843, Registergericht / Register Court: Amtsgericht Regensburg HRB 9157

Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Kelheim

Re: Compile on Win10, deploy on Win7

Maxime Deforet

Thank you all for your answers.

You were right: Dependency Walker confirmed MSVCP100D.dll and MSVCR100D.dll were missing.

I compiled the device adapter using the /MT option to include necessary libs, and it works!

Max

On 03/05/2019 09:42, "Franz Reitner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Max,

probably an MSVC runtime package is missing on your W7 machine. This is typical when compiling a dll using dynamic linkage in VS.

  • Check the MSVC runtime package used and install it on your target.
  • Or use static dlls

Dipl.-Ing. (FH)

Franz Reitner

Product Development – Software

+49 (0) 9441 2005 0

PCO AG, Donaupark 11, 93309 Kelheim, Germany, www.pco.de

Vorstand / Managing Board: Dr. Emil Ott (Chairman), Alexander Grünig, Luitpold Kaspar

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Johann Plöb

USt. ID-Nr. / VAT: DE128590843, Registergericht / Register Court: Amtsgericht Regensburg HRB 9157

Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Kelheim

Re: Compile on Win10, deploy on Win7

Maxime Deforet

Hi Elliot,

Thank you very much for the very extensive explanation. I’m a rookie in Visual Studio and C++, I didn’t know the difference Debug/Release. Your explanation is the best thing I could read about it.

Best,

Max