Compiling just the MMCore static library on Linux

Compiling just the MMCore static library on Linux

Kyle Douglass-2
Hi all,
Does anyone know whether MM's build tools may be configured to compile only the MMCore static library on Linux systems, i.e. libMMCore.a.?

It seems that in the current version of the build tools I need to at least build the MMCorePy or MMCoreJ wrappers to generate the libMMCore.a library; if I disable both MMCorePy and MMCoreJ via the configure script, then only the MMDevice static library libMMDevice.a is generated.

Thanks!
Kyle

Re: Compiling just the MMCore static library on Linux

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Kyle,

> Does anyone know whether MM's build tools may be configured to compile
> only the MMCore static library on Linux systems, i.e. libMMCore.a.?
>
> It seems that in the current version of the build tools I need to at
> least build the MMCorePy or MMCoreJ wrappers to generate the
> libMMCore.a library; if I disable both MMCorePy and MMCoreJ via the
> configure script, then only the MMDevice static library libMMDevice.a
> is generated.

Somehow, I have the feeling that you are not looking for:

cd MMCore
make

but I think that should only build the libMMCore library.  I forgot how
to choose between the static and dynamic version.

Re: Compiling just the MMCore static library on Linux

Kyle Douglass-2
Hi Nico,

cd MMCore
make

Whoops, you are right ;) That's what I wanted.

By the way, I discovered a line in the configure.ac script of the root directory which controls the behavior I described: https://github.com/micro-manager/micro-manager/blob/mm2/configure.ac#L227

build_mmcore=no

If you set this to "yes" and disable the builds for MMCorePy and MMCoreJ then a single make command that is run from the root directory will build the MMCore static library and all the device adapters. This is most useful for creating applications that interact with the MMCore in pure C++.

Cheers,
Kyle