Connecting Olympus IX83 to micro-manager

Connecting Olympus IX83 to micro-manager

Micro-Manager mailing list
Hi all!

Our laboratory has recently bought a new microscope (Olympus IX83). We've been trying for sooooooo long to install it on Windows 10 via micro-manager but nothing worked. We would thereby like to ask for your professional opinion on this issue.

We have installed the drivers for windows to communicate with our Olympus IX83.
In the Device Manager we can see:
1394 Bus Host Controllers
|-- OLYMPUS(R) MICROSCOPE 1394 DIGITAL CAMERA SYSTEM
and Microscope I/F Device
|-- OLYMPUS I/F 1394

But with every driver versions tested, it is not possible to add the microscope in the Hardware Configuration Wizard.
The versions tried are:
64bits 1.4.23 20170513
64bits 1.4.22
64bits 1.4.21 20150429
64bits 1.4.20 20150130
64bits 1.4.16
And for every version, we tried in the Hardware Configuration Wizard, in Olympus IX38 folder, adding the "*Olympus IX83 | Olympus IX83 Microscope".  But for every build, we have an error message pops up "Error in device "Olympus IX83": Exception: Expected integer, got "" at e:\mmnightlybuild\micromanager\secretdeviceadaptaters\olympusix83\Hub.h:131 (2147483647)"

We've changed three 1394 cards already but still nothing worked.

We would be really grateful if anyone could share their insight on how to connect Olympus IX83 to micromanager!

Thank you soooo much!

Re: Connecting Olympus IX83 to micro-manager

Kesavan Subburam
Hi there!

We have an IX83 as well, set up with CellSense, and more recently I have been tinkering around with MicroManager. However, this is on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

I had a similar error with the Hub.h file, and I did the following:

1. Download and install the latest nightly version available: http://valelab4.ucsf.edu/~MM/nightlyBuilds/1.4/Windows/
2. Restart the computer.
3. Turn on your CBH and TPC and run micromanager.

If this doesn't work, restart the computer, TPC, CBH, and any IX83 associated hardware connected to the computer and try again.

This does sound a little like voodoo, and I'm not really sure how the error message I had vanished, but this is what I did to make it work.

Best,

Kesavan Subburam

On 11 July 2017 at 18:32, anna tse via micro-manager-general <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all!

Our laboratory has recently bought a new microscope (Olympus IX83). We've been trying for sooooooo long to install it on Windows 10 via micro-manager but nothing worked. We would thereby like to ask for your professional opinion on this issue.

We have installed the drivers for windows to communicate with our Olympus IX83.
In the Device Manager we can see:
1394 Bus Host Controllers
|-- OLYMPUS(R) MICROSCOPE 1394 DIGITAL CAMERA SYSTEM
and Microscope I/F Device
|-- OLYMPUS I/F 1394

But with every driver versions tested, it is not possible to add the microscope in the Hardware Configuration Wizard.
The versions tried are:
64bits 1.4.23 20170513
64bits 1.4.22
64bits 1.4.21 20150429
64bits 1.4.<a href="tel:020%202015%200130" value="+912020150130" target="_blank">20 20150130
64bits 1.4.16
And for every version, we tried in the Hardware Configuration Wizard, in Olympus IX38 folder, adding the "*Olympus IX83 | Olympus IX83 Microscope".  But for every build, we have an error message pops up "Error in device "Olympus IX83": Exception: Expected integer, got "" at e:\mmnightlybuild\micromanager\secretdeviceadaptaters\olympusix83\Hub.h:131 <a href="tel:02147%20483%20647" value="+912147483647" target="_blank">(2147483647)"

We've changed three 1394 cards already but still nothing worked.

We would be really grateful if anyone could share their insight on how to connect Olympus IX83 to micromanager!

Thank you soooo much!

Kesavan