Connecting Zeiss Axio Observer Z1

nmankenbruck
Hello,

I have tried to find a workaround for this in the forum, but have no luck. I am trying to connect to a Zeiss Axio Observer Z1. I have both a USB and an RS232 connection between the microscope and my computer. When I using the configuration wizard with the USB connection, I am unable to see that the microscope is connected at all. When I try connecting with just the RS232 cable, I see that the microscope is connected, but I receive an error message saying that the Zeiss microscope does not answer. I saw a thread resembling this issue from 2014, however, it looked like the issue went unresolved. Can anyone provide any support on how to fix this issue?

Thank you,

Nick

Re: Connecting Zeiss Axio Observer Z1

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Nick,

On 5/8/17 2:17 PM, Nicholas Ankenbruck wrote:

> I have tried to find a workaround for this in the forum, but have no
> luck. I am trying to connect to a Zeiss Axio Observer Z1. I have both
> a USB and an RS232 connection between the microscope and my computer.
> When I using the configuration wizard with the USB connection, I am
> unable to see that the microscope is connected at all. When I try
> connecting with just the RS232 cable, I see that the microscope is
> connected, but I receive an error message saying that the Zeiss
> microscope does not answer. I saw a thread resembling this issue from
> 2014, however, it looked like the issue went unresolved. Can anyone
> provide any support on how to fix this issue?

Connection through USB does not work (I left in the USB connection since
everything is very close, and hoped that would entice someone to fix up
the remaining problems).  Make sure that you power cycle the microscope
before using the serial connection, and make sure that you have the
correct serial cable and serial port settings (see:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/ZeissCAN29).

Re: Connecting Zeiss Axio Observer Z1

LukasHehn
Nico Stuurman-2 wrote

> Hi Nick,
>

> On 5/8/17 2:17 PM, Nicholas Ankenbruck wrote:
>> I have tried to find a workaround for this in the forum, but have no
>> luck. I am trying to connect to a Zeiss Axio Observer Z1. I have both
>> a USB and an RS232 connection between the microscope and my computer.
>> When I using the configuration wizard with the USB connection, I am
>> unable to see that the microscope is connected at all. When I try
>> connecting with just the RS232 cable, I see that the microscope is
>> connected, but I receive an error message saying that the Zeiss
>> microscope does not answer. I saw a thread resembling this issue from
>> 2014, however, it looked like the issue went unresolved. Can anyone
>> provide any support on how to fix this issue?
>
> Connection through USB does not work (I left in the USB connection since
> everything is very close, and hoped that would entice someone to fix up
> the remaining problems).  Make sure that you power cycle the microscope
> before using the serial connection, and make sure that you have the
> correct serial cable and serial port settings (see:
> https://micro-manager.org/wiki/ZeissCAN29).
>
> Best,
>
> Nico

I also have an axio observer z1 that i would like to control with MM, would
connecting a serial cable to the microscope, but using a Serial-USB adapter
to connect it to a usb port on the PC work? Or does that fall under a USB
connection?

I assume there haven't been any advancements in using a USB connection
directly, which would be even better.

Thanks,

Lukas

Re: Connecting Zeiss Axio Observer Z1

Matt J. Renshaw
Hi Lukas,

Serial cable + serial-USB adaptor works for Zeiss stands (I've set up observers and axio imagers this way) but the serial cable needs to be the right type (null modem I think).

Matt

> On 5/8/17 2:17 PM, Nicholas Ankenbruck wrote:
>> I have tried to find a workaround for this in the forum, but have no
>> luck. I am trying to connect to a Zeiss Axio Observer Z1. I have both
>> a USB and an RS232 connection between the microscope and my computer.
>> When I using the configuration wizard with the USB connection, I am
>> unable to see that the microscope is connected at all. When I try
>> connecting with just the RS232 cable, I see that the microscope is
>> connected, but I receive an error message saying that the Zeiss
>> microscope does not answer. I saw a thread resembling this issue from
>> 2014, however, it looked like the issue went unresolved. Can anyone
>> provide any support on how to fix this issue?
>
> Connection through USB does not work (I left in the USB connection
> since everything is very close, and hoped that would entice someone to
> fix up the remaining problems).  Make sure that you power cycle the
> microscope before using the serial connection, and make sure that you
> have the correct serial cable and serial port settings (see:
> https://micro-manager.org/wiki/ZeissCAN29).
>
> Best,
>
> Nico

I also have an axio observer z1 that i would like to control with MM, would connecting a serial cable to the microscope, but using a Serial-USB adapter to connect it to a usb port on the PC work? Or does that fall under a USB connection?

I assume there haven't been any advancements in using a USB connection directly, which would be even better.

Thanks,

Lukas

The Francis Crick Institute Limited is a registered charity in England and Wales no. 1140062 and a company registered in England and Wales no. 06885462, with its registered office at 1 Midland Road London NW1 1AT