Contributing to Micro-Manager

12

Contributing to Micro-Manager

Erich E. Hoover
Our lab recently purchased some old ASI LX-4000 stages and I've made some minor modifications to the ASIStage driver so that it can handle both the old communication protocol and the already-supported newer one.  Since I'm not familiar with your project, I started looking on the website for how to contribute these changes back to the community.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find any directions on what to do.  So, if someone could point me in the right direction for where to send my patch (and give me any other instructions for new contributors) then I would greatly appreciate it.  On a side note: this project looks absolutely amazing, I'm looking forward to integrating all of my equipment with MM.

Erich Hoover

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi Erich,

> Our lab recently purchased some old ASI LX-4000 stages and I've made some minor modifications to the ASIStage driver so that it can handle both the old communication protocol and the already-supported newer one.  Since I'm not familiar with your project, I started looking on the website for how to contribute these changes back to the community.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find any directions on what to do.  So, if someone could point me in the right direction for where to send my patch (and give me any other instructions for new contributors) then I would greatly appreciate it.

Just send the patch (and the original file, I do not have much luck with patch files) to me or Arthur.  If you plan to work on this regularly, we can also give you write access to the repository (although in this case, I would really like to make sure that the adapter will still work with newer equipment).

> On a side note: this project looks absolutely amazing, I'm looking forward to integrating all of my equipment with MM.

Thanks, and have fun integrating!

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Michael Bachhofer
<quote author="Erich E. Hoover">
Our lab recently purchased some old ASI LX-4000 stages and I've made some
minor modifications to the ASIStage driver so that it can handle both the
old communication protocol ...

Erich Hoover
[hidden email]

Does this mean that it is possible to controll the LX-4000 via micro manager?
There was no one replying to my question about two weeks ago;

Many thanks and best,
Michael

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Erich E. Hoover-2
On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Michael Bachhofer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Our lab recently purchased some old ASI LX-4000 stages and I've made some
minor modifications to the ASIStage driver so that it can handle both the
old communication protocol ...
Does this mean that it is possible to controll the LX-4000 via micro
manager?
There was no one replying to my question about two weeks ago;

I'm sorry I missed your message earlier, but in answer to your question: Yes, our lab uses the ASI LX-4000 stages with MM on a regular basis.  Are you having trouble with them?

Best,
Erich

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Michael Bachhofer
Dear Erich,

Thank you for your message!

I will receive the LX-4000 in the next view days. Bought it in Ebay and hope everything will work out fine. I will do my master project with it, and had to buy it myselfe, which was some kind of bigger investment. That is why I hope everything will work out fine. Because nobody answered to my first post i somehow became afraid that it will not work. I also got a message from ASI that the commands are somehow different to the new controller, and that they are not allowed to publish the command set of the LX-4000 because they produced it for another company.

It would be very kind if I could stay in touch with you to get the stages calibrated.

Many thanks and kind regards from Austria (at the moment)!
Michael

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Christopher Yip

On Mar 30, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Michael Bachhofer wrote:

Dear Erich,

Thank you for your message!

I will receive the LX-4000 in the next view days. Bought it in Ebay and hope
everything will work out fine. I will do my master project with it, and had
to buy it myselfe, which was some kind of bigger investment. That is why I
hope everything will work out fine. Because nobody answered to my first post
i somehow became afraid that it will not work. I also got a message from ASI
that the commands are somehow different to the new controller, and that they
are not allowed to publish the command set of the LX-4000 because they
produced it for another company.

It would be very kind if I could stay in touch with you to get the stages
calibrated.

Many thanks and kind regards from Austria (at the moment)!
Michael

Christopher M. Yip Ph.D., P.Eng
Professor
Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering
Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry
Department of Biochemistry
The Terrence Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research
University of Toronto
Room 404 160 College St.
Toronto, ON, CANADA M5S 3E1
(416) 978-7853
(416) 978-4317 (fax)

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Michael Bachhofer <[hidden email]> wrote:
... I also got a message from ASI
that the commands are somehow different to the new controller, and that they
are not allowed to publish the command set of the LX-4000 because they
produced it for another company.

It would be very kind if I could stay in touch with you to get the stages
calibrated.

The difference between their published command set and the LX-4000 is that you must communicate with the stage at 115200 baud and that there is a two character prefix for communicating with the different components of the stage.  Those communication prefixes are:
1H: z stage
2H: x-y stage
3F: filter wheel

I'd be happy to help you if you have any trouble with the stages, but if you use them with MM it should be pretty plug and play.  Just let me know if you have any trouble.

Best,
Erich

AW: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Michael Bachhofer

Dear Erich,

Many thanks for this info and your help!!!

Seems to be not too complicated:)

Kind regards,

michael

--

Michael Bachhofer, 7-376-206 Shin-Matsudo, Matsudo-City, Chiba-Ken 270-0034, JAPAN - Tel. AT: +43 (0) 720 98 97 82 - Tel. JP: +81 (0) 50 58 09 80 58 - http://FCMappers.net (scientific) - http://MiB.FCMmappers.net (artistic)

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Michael Bachhofer
Hi Erich,

now the sage arrived but I face problems configuring it;

error message: Error in device zStage: Serial command failed. is the device conneced to the serial port?

Yes, I did; I tried both serial ports on the LX-4000 because I did not know which one is te correct one;
COM6

Do you have some kind of manual for the LX-4000?

I tried to control the stage with the plugin "stage control". no movement;

How can I script it? Do you have some kind of test-script?

Many thanks and cheers,
Michael

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Erich E. Hoover-2
You need to connect to the port with the gender changer on it (I don't remember exactly what the label is off the top of my head).  You can control the stage with the plugin, or with a beanshell script.  Alernatively, you can try the OEM software:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/195059/ASI_2D_Stage_terminal.zip

I'd guess that you probably are using a "NULL Modem" RS232 cable when you need to be using a straight-through cable (the "NULL Modem" cable switches the transmit and receive pins).

Best,
Erich

<http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/n7579622/zStage-COM-config.jpg>

Do you have some kind of manual for the LX-4000?

I tried to control the stage with the plugin "stage control". no movement;

How can I script it? Do you have some kind of test-script?

Many thanks and cheers,
Michael

AW: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Michael Bachhofer

I then connected directly the USB to serial adaptor (which has a 1,4m usb-cable included) to the LX-4000; then the zStage started to work;

Later I tried also to connect the xyStage, but this one never worked, although the zStage does while connected both;

When I use the serial cable that was included; the zStage does a few movements, but sometimes also stops after the first one; how is this possible;

Do you think the cable or the controller is damaged? ( I don´t think that both motors of the controller would be damaged)

How do I install your patch (asifw.diff)?

Is there a how-to anywhere? I did not find it;

Many thanks and kind regards,

Michael

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Michael Bachhofer
>Alernatively, you can try the OEM software:
>https://dl.dropbox.com/u/195059/ASI_2D_Stage_terminal.zip

for which OS was ASI_2D_Stage_terminal made?
I tried it in Win7 without success; so i installes a virtual WinXP; same result: "Component 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"
Does the program from the above link rn on other computers?

I also don´t know how to install your patch and if it may change the behaviour of the xyStage (the zStage works nicely now); tried different operating systems (32bit XP and 64bit win 7) and computers; installing your patch and running xyStage not possible;
I just need to know if the hardware is defect or if it is a sofware problem that the xyStage does not move;

for me it was a big investment to buy it privately via ebay for my master thesis; another big problem is, that i should have left to Tokyo last Thursday and as long as these Stages don´t work I cannot;
until the end of May I need to finish my master project and submit my thesis until the 5th of June, so I get quite stressed out if this stage does not work; there is no alternative left to do my project in time (this is my third alternative from the original plan to do the images).

Did micro manager and your ASI LX-4000 work directly without any changes for the xyStage? Which OS do you use and which version of micro manager?
How can I find out what is the cause for no movement in my xyStage?

Many thanks and best,
michael

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Erich E. Hoover-2
See inline comments.

Best,
Erich

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Michael Bachhofer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Alernatively, you can try the OEM software:
>https://dl.dropbox.com/u/195059/ASI_2D_Stage_terminal.zip

for which OS was ASI_2D_Stage_terminal made?
I tried it in Win7 without success; so i installes a virtual WinXP; same
result: "Component 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly
registered: a file is missing or invalid"
Does the program from the above link rn on other computers?

The OEM software was originally for XP, but it should be compatible with Win7.  You just need to download the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 components (includes MSCOMCTL.OCX):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10019

I also don´t know how to install your patch and if it may change the
behaviour of the xyStage (the zStage works nicely now); tried different
operating systems (32bit XP and 64bit win 7) and computers; installing your
patch and running xyStage not possible;
I just need to know if the hardware is defect or if it is a sofware problem
that the xyStage does not move;

You shouldn't need to apply the patch, it has been included in MM for some time.  If I had to guess then I'd say that you've probably taken off the RS232 loopback connector that allows you to control both stages.  At least with the stages we bought the e-Bay seller tested them to ensure that they worked before shipping them out.

for me it was a big investment to buy it privately via ebay for my master
thesis; another big problem is, that i should have left to Tokyo last
Thursday and as long as these Stages don´t work I cannot;
until the end of May I need to finish my master project and submit my thesis
until the 5th of June, so I get quite stressed out if this stage does not
work; there is no alternative left to do my project in time (this is my
third alternative from the original plan to do the images).

I am trying to help you solve your problem, you should have informed me of the time constraints before so that I could put a higher priority on helping you.  I can probably help you Tuesday morning if you contact me directly on Google Chat ([hidden email]).

Did micro manager and your ASI LX-4000 work directly without any changes for
the xyStage? Which OS do you use and which version of micro manager?
How can I find out what is the cause for no movement in my xyStage?

The patch I provided to MM made changes to both the XY and Z stage code.  I've been using this stage with MM since around version 1.4.8, and I know that I've tested it recently with 1.4.13.

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Michael Bachhofer
Hi Erich,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!!! :)

I downloaded Visual Basic 6.0 components and will restart my computer later and test it;

What sound very interesting is the "loopback connector"? -> "If I had to guess then I'd say that you've probably taken off the RS232 loopback connector that allows you to control both stages.  At least with the stages we bought the e-Bay seller tested them to ensure that they worked before shipping them out."

What should be connected and looped back? Something outside or inside the controller? if it is outside and there are two pins connected (as I have seen in google now after searching for RS232 loopback) - NO this is missing;  my problem is that I don´t know what normally is included and where it is placed;

The strange thing is that MM does not tell me that xyStage can not be found whether it is connected or not;

Tuestday morning would be ok; which timezone do you live in? I´m in CET at the moment;

Again, many thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Erich E. Hoover-2
The loopback connector is outside the controller, if I remember correctly it's on the "LINE ENC" RS232 port.  I would recommend that you not try bridging pins, just wait until I can get into the lab and give you the information about the correct pins to bridge.

My understanding (though I never looked into it) is that the controller requires the loopback connection for the x-y stage to work, though it will not impact its ability to respond to commands.

I'm on Mountain Time (US), so coordinating might actually be a little tricky.

Best,
Erich

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Michael Bachhofer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On my controller there is nothing that bridges pins; I also searched for images of the LX-4000 to see if I could find one with a loopback, but without any results;

If you say that this will be the problem I will touch anything until you tell me which pins to bridge; I´m quite dependent on these stages; so I dont want to destroy anything;

Should I get some resistors (~1kOhm) beforehand to bridge the pins or can/should I use normal wire?

Mountain Time is -8 hours to CET, so your morning is my afternoon, which is much more comforable than compared to Tokyo.

Tanks and best,
Michael

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Michael Bachhofer
A snow storm? Wow! I come from the Austrian central mountains and we had some snow last week (also here in Vienna), but this is unnormal for April. You must live in a hard climate zone if yu have snow storm in April.

I have seen that al pins are numbered, so it will be very easy to do correctly when you tell me the nummers to connect.

I´m waiting for your info.

Many thanks and best,
Michael

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Michael Bachhofer
This post was updated on .
Hi Erich,

How is the situation? Are you able to get inside your lab?

It would be important to solve the problem soon, because otherwise I have to return the package and there is not much time left. Additionally I need to go back to Tokyo which is already delayed about two weeks. and the flights are also becoming more expensive:(

Please write soon!

Many thanks and best,
Michael

Re: Contributing to Micro-Manager

Erich E. Hoover-2
Sorry, been a busy week.  You need to bridge pin 5 and pin 8 on the "LIN ENC" RS232 port ( https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/195059/line_enc.jpg ).  If that doesn't work then I don't know what's wrong with your system.

Best,
Erich

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Michael Bachhofer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Erich,

How is the situation? Are you able to get inside your lab?

It would be important to solve the problem soon, because otherwise I have to
return the package and there is not much time left. Additionally I need to
are also becomming more expensive:(

Please write soon!

Many thanks and best,
Michael