Control Toptica iChrome MLE laser set via micromanager

Control Toptica iChrome MLE laser set via micromanager

Udi Binshtok
Hello,

I'm trying to control Toptica iChrome laser set via micromanager. I used the
existing MM driver. I am currently usinglatest version of MM 2.0.0 gamma1 20190623.

I experience several problems:

delays:
1. When the laser is enabled (from 0 to 1, and "emission" is 1) there is a delay of about 3 seconds until the laser starts working. This apply for each one of the 4 available lasers.
2.  When the laser emission is turned on (from 0 to 1, and "enable" is 1) there is a delay of about 1 second until light emitted. This apply for each one of the 4 available lasers.
3. Maybe as a combination of 1 and 2 above, there is a delay of about 3 seconds when switching from one laser to another (the switching is done by choosing different presets).
4. In general, there is a huge delay on display when taking any action that switches from one state to another. For example, when switching from one preset (lets say "laser 1") to another ("laser 2"), mechanically the lasers have been switched (laser 1 turned off and laser 2 turned on), but the display is kind of "stuck" on the presets menu for about 10 seconds until the preset status changes from laser 1 to laser 2. In this time I cannot press anything else. The same happens when I switch the laser emission from 0 to 1 or from 1 to 0 in the device property browser.
This delay occurs even between presets with lasers off. It feels like a slow response in the software.

Can you please help me reduce these delays?

Shutter:
5. In order to use a shutter when I use the lasers in my presets, I set the core-shutter to "state device shutter" and set the state device shutter-state device to "iChrome MLE", but I do not get any shutter behavior. When I choose a preset with a certain laser it enables and emit light which stays on and will not turn off when I press "snap" or "live" and then "stop live".
Can you help me with a driver that control the lasers so the shutter will function? 5 years ago you sent me a dll where the lasers where enabled/disabled when pressing snap or live/stop live, so it acted like a shutter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Udi

Re: Control Toptica iChrome MLE laser set via micromanager

Sam Lord
Udi Binshtok wrote

> delays:
> 1. When the laser is enabled (from 0 to 1, and "emission" is 1) there is a
> delay of about 3 seconds until the laser starts working. This apply for
> each one of the 4 available lasers.
> 2.  When the laser emission is turned on (from 0 to 1, and "enable" is 1)
> there is a delay of about 1 second until light emitted. This apply for
> each
> one of the 4 available lasers.
> 3. Maybe as a combination of 1 and 2 above, there is a delay of about 3
> seconds when switching from one laser to another (the switching is done by
> choosing different presets).
> 4. In general, there is a huge delay on display when taking any action
> that
> switches from one state to another. For example, when switching from one
> preset (lets say "laser 1") to another ("laser 2"), mechanically the
> lasers
> have been switched (laser 1 turned off and laser 2 turned on), but the
> display is kind of "stuck" on the presets menu for about 10 seconds until
> the preset status changes from laser 1 to laser 2. In this time I cannot
> press anything else. The same happens when I switch the laser emission
> from
> 0 to 1 or from 1 to 0 in the device property browser.
> This delay occurs even between presets with lasers off. It feels like a
> slow response in the software.
>
> Can you please help me reduce these delays?
>
> Shutter:
> 5. In order to use a shutter when I use the lasers in my presets, I set
> the
> core-shutter to "state device shutter" and set the state device
> shutter-state device to "iChrome MLE", but I do not get any shutter
> behavior. When I choose a preset with a certain laser it enables and emit
> light which stays on and will not turn off when I press "snap" or "live"
> and then "stop live".
> Can you help me with a driver that control the lasers so the shutter will
> function? 5 years ago you sent me a dll where the lasers where
> enabled/disabled when pressing snap or live/stop live, so it acted like a
> shutter.

Those delays sound unreasonably long. Can you send the config file? Another
option is to control the iChrome with TTL pulses and an Arduino, which is
very fast. There are some details under "Hardware Synchronization" here:
http://www.jbmethods.org/jbm/article/view/36/29

And here:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Arduino

Re: Control Toptica iChrome MLE laser set via micromanager

Udi Binshtok
Dear Sam,

Thank you for your reply. I attached the config file. Would you want me to send you a log file?
At this point we are trying to fix the issues at the software level, and will not introduce another device (such as arduino).
We had a similar problem about 5 years ago, and back then it was solved by using a new, fixed, driver for iChrome which was made for us by David Biggs. Is it possible to contact David again?

Best,
Udi

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 7:57 PM Sam Lord <[hidden email]> wrote:
Udi Binshtok wrote
> delays:
> 1. When the laser is enabled (from 0 to 1, and "emission" is 1) there is a
> delay of about 3 seconds until the laser starts working. This apply for
> each one of the 4 available lasers.
> 2.  When the laser emission is turned on (from 0 to 1, and "enable" is 1)
> there is a delay of about 1 second until light emitted. This apply for
> each
> one of the 4 available lasers.
> 3. Maybe as a combination of 1 and 2 above, there is a delay of about 3
> seconds when switching from one laser to another (the switching is done by
> choosing different presets).
> 4. In general, there is a huge delay on display when taking any action
> that
> switches from one state to another. For example, when switching from one
> preset (lets say "laser 1") to another ("laser 2"), mechanically the
> lasers
> have been switched (laser 1 turned off and laser 2 turned on), but the
> display is kind of "stuck" on the presets menu for about 10 seconds until
> the preset status changes from laser 1 to laser 2. In this time I cannot
> press anything else. The same happens when I switch the laser emission
> from
> 0 to 1 or from 1 to 0 in the device property browser.
> This delay occurs even between presets with lasers off. It feels like a
> slow response in the software.
>
> Can you please help me reduce these delays?
>
> Shutter:
> 5. In order to use a shutter when I use the lasers in my presets, I set
> the
> core-shutter to "state device shutter" and set the state device
> shutter-state device to "iChrome MLE", but I do not get any shutter
> behavior. When I choose a preset with a certain laser it enables and emit
> light which stays on and will not turn off when I press "snap" or "live"
> and then "stop live".
> Can you help me with a driver that control the lasers so the shutter will
> function? 5 years ago you sent me a dll where the lasers where
> enabled/disabled when pressing snap or live/stop live, so it acted like a
> shutter.

Those delays sound unreasonably long. Can you send the config file? Another
option is to control the iChrome with TTL pulses and an Arduino, which is
very fast. There are some details under "Hardware Synchronization" here:
http://www.jbmethods.org/jbm/article/view/36/29

And here:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Arduino

Udi_2019June.cfg (33K) Download Attachment

Re: Control Toptica iChrome MLE laser set via micromanager

David Biggs
Hi Udi,

I saw your email on the MM mailing list.  It sounds like a serial timeout issue.
Can you send me the log file from c:\Users\<user>\TopticaMLE_SerialLog.txt

You may need to enable Serial Log in the driver first.

Thanks,
David