Control of Motorized Condenser and of Shutters in a Nikon TE2000-S

Control of Motorized Condenser and of Shutters in a Nikon TE2000-S

vijayalakshmi Nagaraj
Hello, I am very new to Micro-Manager. I am trying to use MM instead of NIS Elements for controlling a Nikon TE2000-S inverted microscope. My work often involves taking DIC images and fluorescence images alternatively in the time-lapse mode.

Few problems at the outset:
a) I have motorized condenser. How do I control it from MM (for example for changing from Phase to DIC )?

b) I have tried to define presets for a "Channel" group. I think I have managed to set FilterBlock to the right positions. How do I control the shutters so that, while acquiring fluorescent images the regular light source is shut off.

Regards,
Viji

Re: Control of Motorized Condenser and of Shutters in a Nikon TE2000-S

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Viji,

> I am trying to use MM instead of NIS Elements for controlling a Nikon TE2000-S inverted microscope. My work often involves taking DIC images and fluorescence images alternatively in the time-lapse mode.
>
> Few problems at the outset:
> a) I have motorized condenser. How do I control it from MM (for example for changing from Phase to DIC )?

There is currently no support for the motorized condenser of the Nikon TE2000 in Micro-Manager.  You are the first to ask.  It should not be hard to implement, but you would need someone with programming experience who can access your microscope.  Also, do you really ever have to switch between phase and DIC during an experiment?

> b) I have tried to define presets for a "Channel" group. I think I have managed to set FilterBlock to the right positions. How do I control the shutters so that, while acquiring fluorescent images the regular light source is shut off.

Add the Core-Shutter property to the Channel group.  Make sure that the AutoShutter checkbox on the front window is checked.  Set the Core-Shutter to your fluorescence shutter in the fluorescent channels and the transmitted light shutter in your DIC/phase groups.  Also see:  http://micro-manager.org/wiki/Micro-Manager_Configuration_Guide#Core_Properties

Re: Control of Motorized Condenser and of Shutters in a Nikon TE2000-S

Viji Nagaraj
Hi Nico,
Thank you so much for your prompt answer. I didn't see any other blog regarding condenser.
Thanks,
Viji

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 24, 2014, at 5:03 PM, "Nico Stuurman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Viji,
>
>> I am trying to use MM instead of NIS Elements for controlling a Nikon TE2000-S inverted microscope. My work often involves taking DIC images and fluorescence images alternatively in the time-lapse mode.
>>
>> Few problems at the outset:
>> a) I have motorized condenser. How do I control it from MM (for example for changing from Phase to DIC )?
>
> There is currently no support for the motorized condenser of the Nikon TE2000 in Micro-Manager.  You are the first to ask.  It should not be hard to implement, but you would need someone with programming experience who can access your microscope.  Also, do you really ever have to switch between phase and DIC during an experiment?
>
>> b) I have tried to define presets for a "Channel" group. I think I have managed to set FilterBlock to the right positions. How do I control the shutters so that, while acquiring fluorescent images the regular light source is shut off.
>
> Add the Core-Shutter property to the Channel group.  Make sure that the AutoShutter checkbox on the front window is checked.  Set the Core-Shutter to your fluorescence shutter in the fluorescent channels and the transmitted light shutter in your DIC/phase groups.  Also see:  http://micro-manager.org/wiki/Micro-Manager_Configuration_Guide#Core_Properties
>
> Best,
>
> Nico

Re: Control of Motorized Condenser and of Shutters in a Nikon TE2000-S

pfoster
Just to follow up on this, I'm also looking for TE2000 control of a motorized condenser turret. Was any solution for this found? Thanks in advance!