Control of an Olympus U-FFWR filter wheel via IX2-FCB controller

Control of an Olympus U-FFWR filter wheel via IX2-FCB controller

PEARSON Matthew
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone know's if this is possible in Micro-Manager?  Every other Olympus device I have is controlled through the BX-UCB and this is the Olympus hub in my config.  I have no way to connect the IX2-FCB to the BX-UCB (hub) so i think it has to operated standalone via RS232 which i have connected to the computer but then when adding the device I can't see what to add it as.  It doesn't seem like i can have two olympus hubs in the same config.. There are options to add filter wheels via the hub but these are wheels that should be connected directly to the BX-UCB which I can't do with this (U-FFWR wheel).  The only connection it has is compatible only with the "Bus" input on the IX2-FCB, both ends of the cable are identical but its not a standard i recognise.

Any ideas anyone!?

Many thanks,

Matt

--
Matt Pearson
Microscopy Facility

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Control of an Olympus U-FFWR filter wheel via IX2-FCB controller

m.losen

Dear Mat,

Regarding your mail:

Just wondering if anyone know's if this is possible in Micro-Manager?  Every other Olympus device I have is controlled through the BX-UCB and this is the Olympus hub in my config.  I have no way to connect the IX2-FCB to the BX-UCB (hub) so i think it has to operated standalone via RS232 which i have connected to the computer but then when adding the device I can't see what to add it as.  It doesn't seem like i can have two olympus hubs in the same config.. There are options to add filter wheels via the hub but these are wheels that should be connected directly to the BX-UCB which I can't do with this (U-FFWR wheel).  The only connection it has is compatible only with the "Bus" input on the IX2-FCB, both ends of the cable are identical but its not a standard i recognise.

Any ideas anyone!?

Here are some ideas:

I SUSPECT, that you’re right that the IX2-FCB works as a hub.

I found a similar hub with USB connectivity here:

https://physiology.case.edu/media/eq_manuals/eq_manual_ad_usb_odb_manual.pdf

You might try if the IX2-FCB works with the MM Olympus IX81(/IX71/BX61/BX51) device adapter via the corresponding serial COM port, but without adding the BX-UCB to the same configuration.

However, I’m skeptical, because the IX2-FCB seems to be quite different from the BX-UCB.

If you have the original Olympus software that communicates with the BX-UCB, you could use

any of the software suggested here

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Free_third-party_tools_for_testing_communications_with_hardware

or here

https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/35424932/

for listening to the serial port communication between computer and hub.

With that info you could, maybe, reproduce the same communication in MM with this device adaptor:

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/FreeSerialPort

hope this helps,

Mario

Re: Control of an Olympus U-FFWR filter wheel via IX2-FCB controller

PEARSON Matthew
<base href="x-msg://294/"> Hi Mario,

I have been able to connect the IX2-FCB as the OlympusHub but when i try to add a filter wheel it doesn't find it.  I suspect because its not the filter wheel its expecting and not connected to the device it expects either.  I also cannot add the BX-UCB as a second hub which i need to control all other motorised parts on the microscope.  So seems you can only have one hub per config so don't think this is going to work.

Thanks for your help though.

Matt

--
Matt Pearson
Microscopy Facility
MRC Human Genetics Unit
Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine (IGMM)
University of Edinburgh
Crewe Road
EH4 2XU

On 12 Oct 2017, at 13:15, Losen M (NP) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Mat,

Regarding your mail: