Controlling Illumina HiSeq with micro-manager

Controlling Illumina HiSeq with micro-manager

jmarkham

Hi all, I'm part of a project to write open source software to drive Illumina HiSeq sequencers. We've decided to do this using micro-manager and have launched a crowdfunding campaign to fund the initial work (English, Deutsch) - which is to say writing DeviceAdapters for the components and a plugin to provide a UI for the HiSeq-specific function.

Hopefully this FAQ will answer any questions you might have. There's some great documentation on this tear-down page which explains the hardware and how it works. The others on the project come more from a citizen science/outreach background but the instruments can potentially be used for novel assays, as has been done previously with the Illumina GAIIx.

Please feel free to forward this to anyone you know that you think might be interested - in particular your local institutional genomics facilities. If you would like to be involved in any way (coding, documentation, hardware, HiSeq donation/hosting, left-over reagents, etc *) please get in touch. I think there is a desire to establish some sort of community, especially to support the non-research use, which seems like a worthy pursuit that needn't be too onerous.

Depending on how the campaign goes, we may have money to pay for some Java coding of the UI plugin, since we have minimal Java background. If you've got experience doing these plugins and would like to help, then we'd love to hear from you.

Regards,

John

* We are seeking a Linux version of the Hamamatsu  dcam-api driver circa 2008-2010 (but later will probably work too). Can anyone help?  Thanks!