Controlling multiple Coherent OBIS lasers over common COM

Controlling multiple Coherent OBIS lasers over common COM

Blake Madruga
Hello micromanager listserve,

I've been working on a system that is using a Coherent OBIS laser box, equipped with four channels over a common USB interface. Communicating with one laser channel is trivial following: https://micro-manager.org/wiki/CoherentOBIS  What I've found is that MM essentially controls the first laser channel in the box (Laser 1) as the shutter, enabling the tuning of power... ect. However, it is currently impossible for me to individually modulate (or emit) any output from the remaining laser lines. Has there been any work on multi-channel OBIS control? I'd like to trigger and control these lasers to only emit during exposures during long-duration data acquisitions.

Thank you very much.

Respectfully,
Blake

Re: Controlling multiple Coherent OBIS lasers over common COM

Philip Nicovich
Blake,

Maybe not an officially-sanctioned MicroManager project (we're working on it) but the controller here:

is likely capable of doing what you want.  It requires a separate controller (at least it's cheap) to trigger lasers and has better timing than trying to do it through the USB control directly.

Thanks,
Rusty

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Blake Madruga <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello micromanager listserve,

I've been working on a system that is using a Coherent OBIS laser box,
equipped with four channels over a common USB interface. Communicating with
one laser channel is trivial following:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/CoherentOBIS  What I've found is that MM
essentially controls the first laser channel in the box (Laser 1) as the
shutter, enabling the tuning of power... ect. However, it is currently
impossible for me to individually modulate (or emit) any output from the
remaining laser lines. Has there been any work on multi-channel OBIS
control? I'd like to trigger and control these lasers to only emit during
exposures during long-duration data acquisitions.

Thank you very much.

Respectfully,
Blake

Philip R Nicovich

Research Fellow,  ARC Centre of Excellence in Advanced Molecular Imaging

THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES

UNSW  SYDNEY  NSW  2052  AUSTRALIA

T: +61 (0)4 9909 2177

E: [hidden email]

CRICOS Provider No. 00098G

Re: Controlling multiple Coherent OBIS lasers over common COM

Austin
Hi Blake,

        Any chance you can connect each unit as a separate and new “single laser” in the MM config window?
If now, you could use a TTL control system to accomplish this, either using an arduino and the code on the MM site, or the triggerscope.

Austin

> On Feb 17, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Blake Madruga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello micromanager listserve,
>
> I've been working on a system that is using a Coherent OBIS laser box,
> equipped with four channels over a common USB interface. Communicating with
> one laser channel is trivial following:
> https://micro-manager.org/wiki/CoherentOBIS  What I've found is that MM
> essentially controls the first laser channel in the box (Laser 1) as the
> shutter, enabling the tuning of power... ect. However, it is currently
> impossible for me to individually modulate (or emit) any output from the
> remaining laser lines. Has there been any work on multi-channel OBIS
> control? I'd like to trigger and control these lasers to only emit during
> exposures during long-duration data acquisitions.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Respectfully,
> Blake

Re: Controlling multiple Coherent OBIS lasers over common COM

JonD
Hi Blake,

Blake Madruga wrote
I've been working on a system that is using a Coherent OBIS laser box, equipped with four channels over a common USB interface. Communicating with one laser channel is trivial following: https://micro-manager.org/wiki/CoherentOBIS  What I've found is that MM essentially controls the first laser channel in the box (Laser 1) as the shutter, enabling the tuning of power... ect. However, it is currently impossible for me to individually modulate (or emit) any output from the remaining laser lines. Has there been any work on multi-channel OBIS control? I'd like to trigger and control these lasers to only emit during exposures during long-duration data acquisitions.
I encountered the same problem about a year ago.  I asked Coherent if they would support the development of the appropriate device adapter (either doing it themselves or paying for it to be done) and they declined.  It's probably not too difficult to do but I can't justify doing it myself.

My work-around has been to remove the OBIS lasers from the box and connect each to the computer on its own USB/COM port.  Then each laser is controlled as a separate device within Micro-Manager using the CoherentOBIS device adapter (credit to Forrest Collman who wrote and contributed it).

Jon

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

Re: Controlling multiple Coherent OBIS lasers over common COM

Piter
Hi,

If I may also put a question here.

I have been trying to control OBIS laser via USB, but It did not work
some how.

I can add laser to configuration, it reads in correct info from it. Like
power for example. But I cannot change state of the laser in property
browser. It is stack to 1 and I can not toggle it. If I choose 0 from
dropbox it is goes back to one. Also laser is not lasing.

I have no problem controlling it via Coherent connection software.

Thanks,

Petro.

On 02/18/2017 02:23 AM, JonD wrote:

> Hi Blake,
>

> Blake Madruga wrote
>> I've been working on a system that is using a Coherent OBIS laser box,
>> equipped with four channels over a common USB interface. Communicating
>> with one laser channel is trivial following:
>> https://micro-manager.org/wiki/CoherentOBIS  What I've found is that MM
>> essentially controls the first laser channel in the box (Laser 1) as the
>> shutter, enabling the tuning of power... ect. However, it is currently
>> impossible for me to individually modulate (or emit) any output from the
>> remaining laser lines. Has there been any work on multi-channel OBIS
>> control? I'd like to trigger and control these lasers to only emit during
>> exposures during long-duration data acquisitions.
> I encountered the same problem about a year ago.  I asked Coherent if they
> would support the development of the appropriate device adapter (either
> doing it themselves or paying for it to be done) and they declined.  It's
> probably not too difficult to do but I can't justify doing it myself.
>
> My work-around has been to remove the OBIS lasers from the box and connect
> each to the computer on its own USB/COM port.  Then each laser is controlled
> as a separate device within Micro-Manager using the CoherentOBIS device
> adapter (credit to Forrest Collman who wrote and contributed it).
>
> Jon

> Jon Daniels
> Applied Scientific Instrumentation
> 29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
> Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

Re: Controlling multiple Coherent OBIS lasers over common COM

Blake Madruga
Rusty,

Thank you for the information.
I'll check out the repository and see what I can do to make the necessary adaptations in hardware and software. NicoLase seems like an awesome and very comprehensive resource.

I'll look for some solutions there, thank you for pointing me to it.

Respectfully,
Blake

Re: Controlling multiple Coherent OBIS lasers over common COM

Blake Madruga
Hi Jon,

JonD wrote
I encountered the same problem about a year ago.  I asked Coherent if they would support the development of the appropriate device adapter (either doing it themselves or paying for it to be done) and they declined.  It's probably not too difficult to do but I can't justify doing it myself.

My work-around has been to remove the OBIS lasers from the box and connect each to the computer on its own USB/COM port.  Then each laser is controlled as a separate device within Micro-Manager using the CoherentOBIS device adapter (credit to Forrest Collman who wrote and contributed it).

Jon

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118
This solution seems to be quite straightforward with respect to essentially just changing the USB from a common port, to individual lines on each laser unit.

Shame that Coherent didn't agree to build or help offset costs of building a more proper device adapter; the unit is capable of so much, it's frustrating to be so limited in the micromanager environment.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try running individual COMs and configuring each of them separately using Forrest's adapter.

Cheers!

Respectfully,
Blake

Re: Controlling multiple Coherent OBIS lasers over common COM

Blake Madruga
Hi Austin,

Thank you for your reply.

Austin wrote
Hi Blake,

        Any chance you can connect each unit as a separate and new “single laser” in the MM config window?
If now, you could use a TTL control system to accomplish this, either using an arduino and the code on the MM site, or the triggerscope.

Austin
No luck with the separate "single laser" config.
I think I'm going to connect each USB separately and try that again.
If not, I think moving to a TTL triggering system over arduino is the way to go.

Thank you again, I appreciate your thoughts.

Respectfully,
Blake

Re: Controlling multiple Coherent OBIS lasers over common COM

JonD
Blake Madruga wrote
JonD wrote
I encountered the same problem about a year ago.  I asked Coherent if they would support the development of the appropriate device adapter (either doing it themselves or paying for it to be done) and they declined.  It's probably not too difficult to do but I can't justify doing it myself.
Shame that Coherent didn't agree to build or help offset costs of building a more proper device adapter; the unit is capable of so much, it's frustrating to be so limited in the micromanager environment.
I would suggest contacting Coherent yourself to ask them.  If there are enough current and potential customers asking for Micro-manager support companies will often respond, but if they are rarely asked then they likely will not judge it worth the effort.  So make your wishes known to device manufacturers!

Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

Re: Controlling multiple Coherent OBIS lasers over common COM

JonD
Administrator
JonD wrote
Blake Madruga wrote
JonD wrote
I encountered the same problem about a year ago.  I asked Coherent if they would support the development of the appropriate device adapter (either doing it themselves or paying for it to be done) and they declined.  It's probably not too difficult to do but I can't justify doing it myself.
Shame that Coherent didn't agree to build or help offset costs of building a more proper device adapter; the unit is capable of so much, it's frustrating to be so limited in the micromanager environment.
I would suggest contacting Coherent yourself to ask them.  If there are enough current and potential customers asking for Micro-manager support companies will often respond, but if they are rarely asked then they likely will not judge it worth the effort.  So make your wishes known to device manufacturers!
I was browsing something else and came across this PR for exactly the device adapter you were looking for, written by Raimooo and submitted via GitHub PR.  It hasn't made it into the build yet, there is some ongoing discussion on its relationship with the existing device adapter.  But just wanted to bring up that someone has been working on this, hooray!

https://github.com/micro-manager/micro-manager/pull/531