CoolLed PrecisExcite in Linux

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CoolLed PrecisExcite in Linux

Martin Kielhorn
Hi,
I am trying to get the the CoolLed excitation source
working (It is a demo system. It has 4 colors. I think its a pE-2).

When I try to add the precisExcite DeviceAdapter to an existing
setup I can only choose /dev/ttyS0 as Port. However that is where
the Microscope Body is connected.

So I guess I need some Linux kernel module that will expose the
connected USB device as a serial port. I tried 'modprobe usbserial'.
That didn't help.

I attached the output of 'lsusb -v'.
--
Martin Kielhorn
Randall Division of Cell & Molecular Biophysics
King's College London, New Hunt's House
Guy's Campus, London SE1 1UL, U.K.
tel: +44 (0) 207 848 6519,  fax: +44 (0) 207 848 6435

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general

lsusb-v (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CoolLed PrecisExcite in Linux

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Martin,

> When I try to add the precisExcite DeviceAdapter to an existing
> setup I can only choose /dev/ttyS0 as Port. However that is where
> the Microscope Body is connected.

> So I guess I need some Linux kernel module that will expose the
> connected USB device as a serial port. I tried 'modprobe usbserial'.

Indeed.  From your lsusb output, it appears that this is a CDC  
device.  I do think that the usbserial driver should be able to talk  
to this device (although there might be a requirement for a cdc_atm  
driver).  However, MicroManager only looks for serial ports with a  
name starting with "ttyS" or ttyUSB".  It is possible that this port  
appears under another name on your system.  If you can figure out what  
that name is, then we can add it to the code recognizing valid ports  
in the SerialManagerUnix adapter.

It might also be worth to ask PrecisExcite about connections to their  
device under Linux.

Best,

Nico



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CoolLed PrecisExcite in Linux

Gordon Scott
Hi Guys,
 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Nico Stuurman [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: 24 August 2009 21:04
> To: Micro-Manager General
> Subject: Re: [micro-manager-general] CoolLed PrecisExcite in Linux
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> > When I try to add the precisExcite DeviceAdapter to an existing
> > setup I can only choose /dev/ttyS0 as Port. However that is where
> > the Microscope Body is connected.
>
> > So I guess I need some Linux kernel module that will expose the
> > connected USB device as a serial port. I tried 'modprobe usbserial'.
>
> Indeed.  From your lsusb output, it appears that this is a CDC  
> device.

Yes, it's a CDC/ACM device "virtual serial port".

> I do think that the usbserial driver should be able to talk  
> to this device (although there might be a requirement for a cdc_atm  
> driver).  However, MicroManager only looks for serial ports with a  
> name starting with "ttyS" or ttyUSB".  It is possible that this port  
> appears under another name on your system.  If you can figure
> out what  
> that name is, then we can add it to the code recognizing valid ports  
> in the SerialManagerUnix adapter.

On only one of the few occasions I've tried a precisExcite on Linux was
I unable to find what device name one should use. I think it may well
very from Linux system to Linux system.

I've seen:
/dev/usb/ttyACM0 etc. <-- seems to be the 'preferred' name
/dev/ttyUSB0 etc.
/dev/usb/acm/0 etc.
/dev/acm/ttyACM0 etc.
/dev/usb/acm0 etc.
/dev/ttyUSB0 etc.
/dev/ttyGS0 etc. ("Gadget Serial Driver" apparently, or
"Generic"?)

The appropriate module appears to be cdc-acm.o or cdc-acm.ko, though
I've also seen ACM.o mentioned.

Huge fan though I am of Linux, this level of confusion is a maintenance
nightmare and does it no favours. I'm afraid that I walked from this
particular issue.  If I get some time, I _will_ walk back again.

> It might also be worth to ask PrecisExcite about connections
> to their device under Linux.

If it helps, as an alternative interface, TCP/IP works fine and I guess
MM will interface that way.

Kind regards,
                  Gordon.

--
Gordon Scott  Design Engineering
            Custom Interconnect Ltd.   http://www.cil-uk.co.uk
            CoolLED                    http://www.coolled.com
            Phone +44-1264-321321
            CIL House, Charlton Road, Andover SP10 3JL, UK


This message has been scanned by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com

This message and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. Any unauthorized use or disclosure, in whole or in part, is prohibited. E-mails are subject to possible alteration. Custom Interconnect Ltd and the sender decline any liability if this message and/or any attachments have been altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender immediately.

Custom Interconnect Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 2026753. Registered office: CIL House 48 Charlton road Andover, Hampshire United Kingdom SP103JL.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CoolLed PrecisExcite in Linux

Martin Kielhorn
In reply to this post by Martin Kielhorn
Thanks for the input. The solution turnes out to be straight forward.
After calling 'modprobe usbserial product=0xe000 vendor=0x0b6a'
as root I got the new device /dev/ttyUSB0 that I can use within Micromanager.
The 'dmesg' output on my machine looks like this:
[  226.997313] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[  226.998137] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[  226.998449] usbserial_generic 2-2:1.0: Generic device with no bulk out, not allowed.
[  226.998699] usbserial_generic: probe of 2-2:1.0 failed with error -5
[  226.998925] usbserial_generic 2-2:1.1: generic converter detected
[  226.999335] usb 2-2: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[  227.000238] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[  227.000245] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core

It really turns the light on and off. I can switch wavelengths and control the power. Really cool. The Linux support increases the usefulness of this device substantially (for me).

Regards, Martin
--
Martin Kielhorn
Randall Division of Cell & Molecular Biophysics
King's College London, New Hunt's House
Guy's Campus, London SE1 1UL, U.K.
tel: +44 (0) 207 848 6519,  fax: +44 (0) 207 848 6435

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CoolLed PrecisExcite in Linux

Gordon Scott

That's excellent news.

It does support my view that the problem is just with setting up the USB
serial on Linux, rather than a fundamental problem. I _will_ be trying
to repeat that on a number of different distributions.

Sadly on the system I have here right now, the modprobe didn't work :-(


I take it from your wording that /dev/ttyUSB0 just appeared after the
modprobe?  No MAKEDEV or whatever needed?

What Linux distribution are you using, please?

Thanks.

ATB,
        Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott  Design Engineering
            Custom Interconnect Ltd.   http://www.cil-uk.co.uk
            CoolLED                    http://www.coolled.com
            Phone +44-1264-321321
            CIL House, Charlton Road, Andover SP10 3JL, UK

 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Martin Kielhorn [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: 25 August 2009 10:53
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [micro-manager-general] CoolLed PrecisExcite in Linux
>
> Thanks for the input. The solution turnes out to be straight forward.
> After calling 'modprobe usbserial product=0xe000 vendor=0x0b6a'
> as root I got the new device /dev/ttyUSB0 that I can use
> within Micromanager.
> The 'dmesg' output on my machine looks like this:
> [  226.997313] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
> [  226.998137] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
> [  226.998449] usbserial_generic 2-2:1.0: Generic device with
> no bulk out, not allowed.
> [  226.998699] usbserial_generic: probe of 2-2:1.0 failed
> with error -5
> [  226.998925] usbserial_generic 2-2:1.1: generic converter detected
> [  226.999335] usb 2-2: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0
> [  227.000238] usbcore: registered new interface driver
> usbserial_generic
> [  227.000245] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
>
> It really turns the light on and off. I can switch
> wavelengths and control the power. Really cool. The Linux
> support increases the usefulness of this device substantially
> (for me).
>
> Regards, Martin
> --
> Martin Kielhorn
> Randall Division of Cell & Molecular Biophysics
> King's College London, New Hunt's House
> Guy's Campus, London SE1 1UL, U.K.
> tel: +44 (0) 207 848 6519,  fax: +44 (0) 207 848 6435
>
>
>
>
> This message has been scanned by MailController
> <http://www.mailcontroller.altohiway.com/> .
>
>


This message has been scanned by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com

This message and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. Any unauthorized use or disclosure, in whole or in part, is prohibited. E-mails are subject to possible alteration. Custom Interconnect Ltd and the sender decline any liability if this message and/or any attachments have been altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender immediately.

Custom Interconnect Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 2026753. Registered office: CIL House 48 Charlton road Andover, Hampshire United Kingdom SP103JL.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CoolLed PrecisExcite in Linux

Gordon Scott
Hm .. OK.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gordon Scott [mailto:[hidden email]]
 
> Sadly on the system I have here right now, the modprobe
> didn't work :-(

I'd also had an ftdi device connected, so I shut down the machine,
unplugged that, rebooted and modprobed again.

Now I have a /dev/ttyUSB0

So more exploring..... At least I now have a known start point.
Hopefully I can get soon write some proper guidance for the future.

ATB,
        Gordon.,
--
Gordon Scott  Design Engineering
            Custom Interconnect Ltd.   http://www.cil-uk.co.uk
            CoolLED                    http://www.coolled.com
            Phone +44-1264-321321
            CIL House, Charlton Road, Andover SP10 3JL, UK

 


This message has been scanned by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com

This message and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. Any unauthorized use or disclosure, in whole or in part, is prohibited. E-mails are subject to possible alteration. Custom Interconnect Ltd and the sender decline any liability if this message and/or any attachments have been altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender immediately.

Custom Interconnect Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 2026753. Registered office: CIL House 48 Charlton road Andover, Hampshire United Kingdom SP103JL.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CoolLed PrecisExcite in Linux

Martin Kielhorn
In reply to this post by Gordon Scott


2009/8/25 Gordon Scott <[hidden email]>

That's excellent news.

It does support my view that the problem is just with setting up the USB
serial on Linux, rather than a fundamental problem. I _will_ be trying
to repeat that on a number of different distributions.

Sadly on the system I have here right now, the modprobe didn't work :-(


I take it from your wording that /dev/ttyUSB0 just appeared after the
modprobe?  No MAKEDEV or whatever needed?
No I didn't need to do anything like that.

What Linux distribution are you using, please?
It is a 32bit Ubuntu:
martin@sushi:/etc$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=intrepid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.10"

This is the output of uname -a:
Linux sushi 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:24:39 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

--
Martin Kielhorn
Randall Division of Cell & Molecular Biophysics
King's College London, New Hunt's House
Guy's Campus, London SE1 1UL, U.K.
tel: +44 (0) 207 848 6519,  fax: +44 (0) 207 848 6435

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general