Device Adapter release question

Johan Crone

Dear subscribers,

I'm a newbie to MM and have tried to find information regarding my question below. I'm guessing I just haven't found it yet. I'll continue searching, but if anyone can help me speed up my investigation I would be grateful.

My assignment is to investigate how to develop an official device adapter for a company developing lightening sources for microscopes.

I have found the guides for installing the environment and such and how to develop a device adapter, but I haven't found the information regarding how to add an company official device adapter.

Can anyone inform me on the steps from where I have a working device adapter (on my computer) up to where it is included in releases for Micro-Manager?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Johan

Re: Device Adapter release question

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Johan,

> I'm a newbie to MM and have tried to find information regarding my
> question below. I'm guessing I just haven't found it yet. I'll
> continue searching, but if anyone can help me speed up my
> investigation I would be grateful.
>

> My assignment is to investigate how to develop an official device
> adapter for a company developing lightening sources for microscopes.
>

> I have found the guides for installing the environment and such and
> how to develop a device adapter, but I haven't found the information
> regarding how to add an company official device adapter.
>

> Can anyone inform me on the steps from where I have a working device
> adapter (on my computer) up to where it is included in releases for
> Micro-Manager?

At this point in time, email me the sources, include a compatible Open
Source license (BSD, MIT, LGPL. and the like), make additional files
that are needed to build the device adapter available to me (preferably
open to everyone, but otherwise licensed in such a way that we can use
those materials for the MM build).

Good luck!

Re: Device Adapter release question

Johan Crone

Hi Nico!

A follow up question.

Do you add the dll:s (which builds) for all Device Adapters in the repository under "DeviceAdapters" when you releases a new version of micro manager?

Best regards

Johan Crone

> I'm a newbie to MM and have tried to find information regarding my
> question below. I'm guessing I just haven't found it yet. I'll
> continue searching, but if anyone can help me speed up my
> investigation I would be grateful.
>

> My assignment is to investigate how to develop an official device
> adapter for a company developing lightening sources for microscopes.
>

> I have found the guides for installing the environment and such and
> how to develop a device adapter, but I haven't found the information
> regarding how to add an company official device adapter.
>

> Can anyone inform me on the steps from where I have a working device
> adapter (on my computer) up to where it is included in releases for
> Micro-Manager?

At this point in time, email me the sources, include a compatible Open
Source license (BSD, MIT, LGPL. and the like), make additional files
that are needed to build the device adapter available to me (preferably
open to everyone, but otherwise licensed in such a way that we can use
those materials for the MM build).

Good luck!

Re: Device Adapter release question

Karl Bellve-3

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 4:42 AM Johan Crone <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Nico!

A follow up question.

Do you add the dll:s (which builds) for all Device Adapters in the repository under "DeviceAdapters" when you releases a new version of micro manager?

Hi Johan,

Once the Device Adapter source and all the headers are added to the micromanager repository, and a few config files get tweaked to include them in the build, everything becomes automatic, and the dlls are automatically built. They get installed when the user installs micromanager.

On 2/20/2020 1:40 AM, Johan Crone wrote:
Do you add the dll:s (which builds) for all Device Adapters in the repository under "DeviceAdapters" when you releases a new version of micro manager?

Yes.  They actually go into the next nightly build.  Release cycles are currently very long (which hopefully will change in the near future), and the nightly builds are quite stable, so users are encouraged to use nightly builds which will have all the DeviceAdapters in the source code repository (as long as they build correctly).