Does Velleman K8055 board work with USB connection?

Does Velleman K8055 board work with USB connection?

Shashank Sundareshan

Hi,

I’m trying to control the Velleman K8055 DAC IO board using micromanager. It’s currently connected to the computer with a USB connection. I’m running into some issues, and was wondering if the driver was only supposed to be used for serial connections, or if USB should work as well.

I also cannot find the K8055 in my device manager to switch out the driver…

Thanks,

Shashank Sundareshan

Re: Does Velleman K8055 board work with USB connection?

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
<base href="x-msg://43/">Hi Shashank,

I’m trying to control the Velleman K8055 DAC IO board using micromanager. It’s currently connected to the computer with a USB connection. I’m running into some issues, and was wondering if the driver was only supposed to be used for serial connections, or if USB should work as well.

I am not aware of a K8055 with a serial port.  As far as I know, they only come with USB.

I also cannot find the K8055 in my device manager to switch out the driver…

That is the main problem.  I think that the K8055 presents itself as a HID device.  Open the Hid tab in the Device Manager and then plug in and out the K8055.  The vendor ID of the device should be 0x10cf and the device id can be between 0x5500 and 0x5503.  You do need to install the driver provided with Micro-Manager, otherwise Micro-Manager will not see the device.  If the driver is installed correctly, the Velleman board "port" will appear on the page with serial ports.

Re: Does Velleman K8055 board work with USB connection?

Shashank Sundareshan
<base href="x-msg://43/">

Thanks for responding, Nico.

So when I plug the K8055 in, a new device shows up – an “HID-compliant device” which has the Hardware ID: HID\VID_10CF&PID_5500&REV_0000. When I try to update driver software -> browse my computer for driver software -> and search for the driver software in the micromanager folder (including subfolders) I have two options. If I hit “next” it tells me that the best driver software for your hardware is already installed. If I instead select “let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer” it shows me the currently installed driver as the only compatible software. Unchecking the “show compatible hardware,” it allows me to view a bunch of other drivers for other software, but I can’t find the micromanager drivers. From the Have Disk… option, I can select the .inf file for K0855 in the micromanager folder, it tells me that “The folder I specified doesn’t contain a compatible software driver for my device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is compatible with Windows for 32-bit Systems.”

This seems like something pretty simple to do, so I must be making a bonehead error in going about this….

Thanks,

Shashank

Re: Does Velleman K8055 board work with USB connection?

Nico Stuurman-4
[...]

It is a long time ago I did this and the details are murky, but installing this driver always was a bit of a struggle.  Try removing the installed driver first (unplug the device), and then reinserting it.  The K8055_libusb.inf file is the correct .inf file and drivers for 32-bit Windows are in that directory.  If I can find a K8055 lying around I will try it out here.  Are you on Windows XP?

Re: Does Velleman K8055 board work with USB connection?

Shashank Sundareshan
<base href="x-msg://43/">

I’ve tried to remove the installed driver, but it’s still not working. Also, when I try to look at the driver details it says “No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device.” If/when you get a chance to play around with a K8055, that would be great.

I’m on Windows XP, Vista and 7.

On XP, when I try to load the MM driver, it displays “The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.”

The warning I received when trying to load the mm k8055 driver I mentioned in my previous post was from Windows 7.

Thanks!

Shashank

[...]

I installed one on XP and it went through without a glitch.  I did update the driver for the "USB Human Interface Device", not the one for the "HID-compliant device".  There is now a detailed writeup on the wiki page ( http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Velleman_K8055 ).  If it still fails, try taking of the two jumpers of the Address Select pins.

Re: Does Velleman K8055 board work with USB connection?

Shashank Sundareshan
<base href="x-msg://43/">

Awesome! Works on Win 7 as well.

Thanks,