Driver for iLAS2

Hadrien Mary
Hello,

I heard people from Gattaca Systems developed a MM driver for the ILAS2 system a year ago. I wanted to know if someone here had the opportunity to test it and if it works well?

Also, does it work with MM2/MM-magenta?

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Hadrien Mary
Postdoc

Brouhard's lab
University of McGill
Montreal, Canada

Re: Driver for iLAS2

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Hadrien,

> I heard people from Gattaca Systems developed a MM driver for the
> ILAS2 system a year ago. I wanted to know if someone here had the
> opportunity to test it and if it works well?
>
> Also, does it work with MM2/MM-magenta?

I have heard about a closed source (binary only) device adapter for the
iLas as well.  If it works with 1.4, it will work with 2.0 too (unless
part of the code is a UI in Java).  The downside of a binary device
adapter is that it will only work with very specific MM versions (i.e.
the Device API versions have to match).

I am curious if it is possible to only use the iLAS hardware and drive
the Galvos yourself.  Mat Paszek's group just release a nice BioArchive
paper (https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/533349v1) describing Open
Source hardware to something very similar.  Their controller should be
able to drive the iLAS.

Best

Re: Driver for iLAS2

Daniel Dickinson
We have an iLas and are using the Gataca software to run it through MM 1.4.  It does not work with 2.0, unfortunately, and the Gataca people have told me that they don't plan to support 2.0 because "it is still in beta."  Also, as Nico mentions, it is totally closed-source, and a request to see the code (so that I could make a couple of tweaks to tailor it to my preferences) were met with a pretty firm "no."

That being said, the adapter works and Gataca has been reasonably responsive, making a couple of changes and updates that I requested.  I'd give it a cautiously positive recommendation, as long as you can live with 1.4 and not having the source isn't a deal-breaker.  It certainly beats using MetaMorph, IMO.

I'm intrigued by the possibility of using an open-source alternative, but it'll probably be a while before we explore this ourselves since the commercial stuff is working for us right now.

Best,
Dan Dickinson
UT Austin

> I heard people from Gattaca Systems developed a MM driver for the
> ILAS2 system a year ago. I wanted to know if someone here had the
> opportunity to test it and if it works well?
>
> Also, does it work with MM2/MM-magenta?

I have heard about a closed source (binary only) device adapter for the
iLas as well.  If it works with 1.4, it will work with 2.0 too (unless
part of the code is a UI in Java).  The downside of a binary device
adapter is that it will only work with very specific MM versions (i.e.
the Device API versions have to match).

I am curious if it is possible to only use the iLAS hardware and drive
the Galvos yourself.  Mat Paszek's group just release a nice BioArchive
paper (https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/533349v1) describing Open
Source hardware to something very similar.  Their controller should be
able to drive the iLAS.

Best

Re: Driver for iLAS2

hadim
Thank you both for your answer.

I can live with a closed source driver as long as it is working well but if
it's not compatible with MM2 that's very sad... And as Nico said if every
new Device API version breaks it's also an issue in my opinion since I won't
be able to test latest fixes or new features from master.

I'll look at the paper you mentioned Nico.

Thanks again for your feedback.