External TTL triggering of Hamamatsu DCAM USB detectors

External TTL triggering of Hamamatsu DCAM USB detectors

Micro-Manager mailing list
With the HamamatsuHam device, does MicroManager now support external TTL triggering?
We use an IDT MotionPro Timing Hub to generate our camera triggers. I saw an old thread where someone asked about externally triggering Hamamatsu USB cameras, which is what we do when we use Hamamatsu's HiPic software, and I believe that MicroManager didn't support this except for certain devices. Is that still the case? I can set the triggering in the Device Property Browser to External, but we don't get any images from the camera in that mode, so I guess this is still not supported. Is my understanding correct? We may be able to limit use of Micro-Manager to cases where we use one of our detectors to trigger the others in a Multi Camera arrangement, but it would be ideal if External triggering could be used in single or multi-camera modes.
thanks,
Gary

--
Gary Ruben, Senior Research Officer, X-Ray Imaging Group
New Horizons Bldg
 | Monash University
p. +61 3 99051079

Re: External TTL triggering of Hamamatsu DCAM USB detectors

Stuurman, Nico
  5/13/2019 7:42 PM, Gary Ruben via micro-manager-general wrote:
> With the HamamatsuHam device, does MicroManager now support external
> TTL triggering?
> We use an IDT MotionPro Timing Hub to generate our camera triggers. I
> saw an old thread where someone asked about externally triggering
> Hamamatsu USB cameras, which is what we do when we use Hamamatsu's
> HiPic software, and I believe that MicroManager didn't support this
> except for certain devices.

That should work. Set the camera to external trigger mode, click the
snap button, then within 5 seconds (or whatever your system timeout is
set to), send the trigger.  If that does not work, you should probably
contact Hamamatsu (they maintain the device adapter code).

Re: External TTL triggering of Hamamatsu DCAM USB detectors

Micro-Manager mailing list
Thanks for the quick reply Nico. That sounds promising. I will try your suggestion. We have had mixed success contacting Hamamatsu with support queries in the past so hopefully it won't come to that.

regards,
Gary

On Tue, 14 May 2019 at 13:04, Stuurman, Nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
  5/13/2019 7:42 PM, Gary Ruben via micro-manager-general wrote:
> With the HamamatsuHam device, does MicroManager now support external
> TTL triggering?
> We use an IDT MotionPro Timing Hub to generate our camera triggers. I
> saw an old thread where someone asked about externally triggering
> Hamamatsu USB cameras, which is what we do when we use Hamamatsu's
> HiPic software, and I believe that MicroManager didn't support this
> except for certain devices.

That should work. Set the camera to external trigger mode, click the
snap button, then within 5 seconds (or whatever your system timeout is
set to), send the trigger.  If that does not work, you should probably
contact Hamamatsu (they maintain the device adapter code).

Gary Ruben, Senior Research Officer, X-Ray Imaging Group
New Horizons Bldg
​School of Physics & Astronomy
 | Monash University
p. +61 3 99051079

Re: External TTL triggering of Hamamatsu DCAM USB detectors

Micro-Manager mailing list
Hi Nico,
It works! Thanks for your help. For some reason, when I tried this a couple of days ago I couldn't get it to work but today it is behaving fine. I think the unpredictable behaviour getting this to work is a problem innate to our detectors and not a problem with Micro-Manager, because we have also experienced this when using Hamamatsu's HiPic software.
regards,
Gary

On Tue, 14 May 2019 at 13:55, Gary Ruben <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Nico. That sounds promising. I will try your suggestion. We have had mixed success contacting Hamamatsu with support queries in the past so hopefully it won't come to that.

regards,
Gary

On Tue, 14 May 2019 at 13:04, Stuurman, Nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
  5/13/2019 7:42 PM, Gary Ruben via micro-manager-general wrote:
> With the HamamatsuHam device, does MicroManager now support external
> TTL triggering?
> We use an IDT MotionPro Timing Hub to generate our camera triggers. I
> saw an old thread where someone asked about externally triggering
> Hamamatsu USB cameras, which is what we do when we use Hamamatsu's
> HiPic software, and I believe that MicroManager didn't support this
> except for certain devices.

That should work. Set the camera to external trigger mode, click the
snap button, then within 5 seconds (or whatever your system timeout is
set to), send the trigger.  If that does not work, you should probably
contact Hamamatsu (they maintain the device adapter code).

Gary Ruben, Senior Research Officer, X-Ray Imaging Group
New Horizons Bldg
​School of Physics & Astronomy
 | Monash University
p. +61 3 99051079

--
Gary Ruben, Senior Research Officer, X-Ray Imaging Group
New Horizons Bldg
​School of Physics & Astronomy
 | Monash University
p. +61 3 99051079