FW: Help needed in controling the z axis

FW: Help needed in controling the z axis

Doron Har-Lev

Hi,

My name is Doron and recently , I've started to work at an educational lab with a large variety of cameras and microscopes,

at the Technion institute of technology .

We installed TOFRA electrical motor to control the z axis of the microscope but, unfortunately ,

the actual movement of the z axis is not the same as the movement we wanted to get (we get 70% than the desired movement).

We were thinking about adding  a linear encoder to the moving surface (z axis)

And using it to stop the moving surface at the right position.

Can the Micro-Manager get analog input signals and use them to start/stop the motors ?

Which kind of analog input signals can it get ?

Can you please advise us about a linear encoder that is already supported by Micro-Manager Configuration Wizard?

Many Thanks,

Doron Har-Lev

Re: FW: Help needed in controling the z axis

JonD
Administrator
Hi Doron,

It seems you are trying to build yourself a stage (specifically an automated
Z-drive).  Micro-Manager is perfect for controlling your stage once it's
built, but isn't ideal for implementing it.  Hopefully that distinction is
clear.

Normally you would use a micro-controller along with some dedicated
circuitry to control the motor signals, read the linear encoders, etc.  To
have millisecond-level control of those signals you need embedded firmware
running on the micro-controller; you can't rely on your PC's CPU which is at
the whim of the operating system and other programs.  So the PC
(Micro-Manager) issues commands like "move 1mm" and dedicated
hardware/firmware carries out the command.

With that understanding it makes sense that there isn't a mention of linear
encoders on the list of supported hardware
(https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Device_Support).  There are devices that can
read analog signals and even output them, but such devices use a
micro-controller internally and adding Micro-Manager into a feedback loop to
control the signals will be relatively slow (i.e. hard to achieve 100Hz).

*Commercial plug*: ASI sells automated Z-drives, in fact that was our first
product ~30 years ago.  Current version is "MFC-2000" which works in
Micro-Manager with the ASIStage adapter.  *end commercial plug*

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118