Failing to add MT20 on Olympus IX81

Thomas Templier
Dear MM users,

I do not succeed in controlling an olympus MT20 lamp. Some details are
below. Am I missing something ?

Thanks a lot for any help
Best regards
Thomas

- Olympus IX81, MT20 to Real Time Controller (OBD) to computer (USB)

- I can control all components of the microscope (Olympus core hub, stages,
camera) with MM1.4 and MM2.0, but I cannot control the shutter of the MT20:
when trying to add the MT20 hub in the hardware configurator I get the error
"Error in device 'MT20-HUB': Unable to connect to the MT20 (10000)"

- everything is ok with the Olympus software cellSens

- I get the warning from MM at start "Your USB library is not up to date
[...] Your library version is 3.2.4 [...] recommended >= 3.2.7". I would
like confirmation here that it could be the issue before updating this
computer that belongs to a multi-user imaging facility

- the "FluorescenceLamp" device in the Olympus subfolder can be added

-  the page for the MT20 <https://micro-manager.org/wiki/MT20>   driver
mentions a PCI card, but here I have a USB connection from the Real Time
Controller to the computer, I do not know whether my configuration differs
from what is expected

- I tried to add only MT20 without for example adding the fluorescenceLamp
from the Olympus folder, but I get the same error mentioned above

Re: Failing to add MT20 on Olympus IX81

Thomas Templier
It is still failing, short update:

- the USB driver library is uptodate but I still get the general warning
from MM about the USB driver version when starting the hardware configurator
wizard

- the firewall is deactivated

- I deactivated all local networks except the RTC network to let MM discover
RTC first, but still does not work

Re: Failing to add MT20 on Olympus IX81

m.losen
Hi Thomas,
You mentioned that you connected the MT20 via USB to the PC.
Based on a brief search I found that a network cable can also be used instead. (I didn't check if that's always possible, though; this might depend on the model).
Maybe you could try to contact the author of the MT20 device adapter ...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-robert-mitchell/
...to ask if it was specifically designed for network cable connection, and if/how it could be adapted for your setup.
Or alternatively, ask Olympus if/how you can reconfigure the connection to a network cable.

Greetings,
Mario

Re: Failing to add MT20 on Olympus IX81

Thomas Templier
Thanks Mario.

> You mentioned that you connected the MT20 via USB to the PC.

I do not know whether that is what you meant, but more precisely the
connection is:
- MT20 connected to the external RTC via ODB connection
- RTC connected to computer via USB

> Based on a brief search I found that a network cable can also be used
> instead. (I didn't check if that's always possible, though; this might
> depend on the model).

I think you meant  this post
<http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/installation-of-micromanager-on-olympus-ix81-td4521745.html>
but if I understand the thread correctly this configuration was not working.

> Maybe you could try to contact the author of the MT20 device adapter to
> ask if it was specifically designed for network cable connection, and
> if/how it could be adapted for your setup.

Yes, why not.

> Or alternatively, ask Olympus if/how you can reconfigure the connection to
> a network cable.

I just got a reply from Olympus:

- "It seems as if someone has been able to get it running in the past with
an internal RTC (on which a UNIX OS is running) which communicates with the
Windows PC via an internal network card (RTC was/is placed in a free PCI
slot, but no data transferred via the slot, only via the network card).". I
am not sure whether they are referring to this  MT20 adapter
<https://micro-manager.org/wiki/MT20>   which mentions "The MT20 adapter
communicates with the Olympus Real-Time Controller PCI card *in the
computer*". I was not sure whether I had an internal PCI card in addition to
the external RTC, now it seems clear that I solely have the external RTC.

- "it is unclear whether the MT20 was connected via ODB to the RTC or
whether they only managed it with an MT20 connected via a standard network
cable with it."

- they believe that a new micromanager adapter should be written to control
MT20 through the external RTC. I do not know how close it would be from the
current MT20 adapter. I don't think I can engage in that now.

- "Connection of MT20 via ODB-cable is the newer version of the MT, and its
the only option to connect it to an external RTC (while at least the lastest
versions of the internal RTC offered both, connection via ODB or via network
cable)"

- with the external RTC "The USB connection emulates a network
card/connection. As with the internal RTC, the IP-adress for that network
connection is 42.42.42.17 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0"

To summarize, I believe that the only solutions in sight are to

- write a new adapter to control MT20 through the external RTC. I'm afraid I
will not be able to do that now.
- find and use a former internal RTC with the PCI card. Modifying hardware
in a shared microscope facility and keeping compatibility with the standard
Olympus software is maybe not convenient though. Also I believe that my
current external RTC controls some things related to cameras.

Thanks for any hint

Re: Failing to add MT20 on Olympus IX81

m.losen
Hi Thomas,

For your system you wrote...
"more precisely the connection is:
- MT20 connected to the external RTC via ODB connection
- RTC connected to computer via USB "

That seems to be a different connection compared to the set-up shown here:
http://wwwuser.cnb.csic.es/~fotonica/CellR/Cell%5ER%20Hardware%20Manual.pdf
(see page 10 and 24)

Correct?

Greetings,