Fast autofocusing using a Piezo stage and Digital IO board

Fast autofocusing using a Piezo stage and Digital IO board

Francois St-Pierre-2
Dear Micromanager users,

I'd like to be able to increase the speed of software-based autofocusing by:
(1) Increasing the Z speed of my objective
(2) Decreasing the time spent between movement of the objective and
image acquisition

One way of achieving this would be to use a Piezo Z stage, and a
Digital IO board (also called DAC board) to move the Piezo as soon as
a image at a given Z plane has been acquired.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations of Piezo + Digital IO boards
which work well together and with Micromanager. I found an example
script using an ASI Z and an Arduino digital IO board, but don't know
whether it is reliable solution and whether other folks have good or
bad experiences with other devices supported by Micromanager
(https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Device_Support).

This equipment would be used on a Nikon TE2000 (which cannot easily be
upgraded with a Perfect Focus System) and a Hamamatsu Orca-R2. We also
have a Hamamatsu Orca-ER, but I believe it doesn't have the
synchronization capabilities to do what I propose.

Best,

Francois

--
Francois St-Pierre, Ph.D.