Feature request or question: Hotkeys for channels

Feature request or question: Hotkeys for channels

James Bear
Hi Micro-Manager community,
We are really starting to like this program, but one thing that would
make it even better is if we could figure out how to control/switch
channels with Hotkeys. This could come in the form of assigning F-
function keys as part of configuration presets, but this would require
changes to the core I suppose. A possible work-around would be buy a
programmable keypad (with blank keys) and program macros into the key
(eg. http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys/xkdesk.php). The question is
how to do this. Could we run beanshell script with text macros in this
way? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but we are newbies.

Jim

Re: Feature request or question: Hotkeys for channels

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Jim,

> We are really starting to like this program, but one thing that would
> make it even better is if we could figure out how to control/switch
> channels with Hotkeys.

Excellent suggestion!  We even have a ticket for this in our bug/
feature database system ( https://valelab.ucsf.edu/trac/micromanager/ticket/278
  ), but regretfully, that does not mean that we will get to
implementing this soon.  The more requests we get, the more it moved
up on the priority list.

>  A possible work-around would be buy a
> programmable keypad (with blank keys) and program macros into the key
> (eg. http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys/xkdesk.php). The question is
> how to do this. Could we run beanshell script with text macros in this
> way? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but we are newbies.

If the keypad emulated mouse movements and clicking (not sure that it
does), then I think this could work.  A Beanshell script to switch the
active channel can look as follows:

mmc.setConfig("Channel", "FITC");

Enter this in the top right panel of the Script Panel, Save (for
instance as "FITC.bsh", click the "Add" button in the top left.  and
double click on "FITC.bsh" to set the active channel to FITC (you will
need to click the "Refresh" button to update the GUI with the current
configuration).

Re: Feature request or question: Hotkeys for channels

James Bear
Hi Nico,

The programmable keypad just accepts text macros and does not record
mouse movements/clicks. Is there any command line or terminal methods
to send commands to the MMcore? Clicking buttons in the GUI must do
this somehow, but I don't see a way to do this manually.
Jim