Quantcast

Finding a micro-manager supported shutter to fit in tight space

Finding a micro-manager supported shutter to fit in tight space

bill_whitney
Hi folks,

We are building a 2-laser, EMCCD fluorescent microscope system, to be controlled overall by micro-manager. We need shutters for the 2 lasers, and they must fit in a fairly tight space.

The shutter aperture could be as small as 5-8 mm. There is a mounting bracket about 20 mm away from the optical path axis, so the shutter cannot be too big or bulky.

We looked first at the Vincent/Uniblitz shutters. MM lists support for the VCM-D1 and VMM-D3 drivers. However, the only shutters that can fit into our tight space are TS6B, DSS10B, NS15B. The recommended drivers for these shutters that fit are ED12DSS driver, or the VED24, neither of which is listed as supported. I am having email discussions with Vincent to see if something can be worked out, but so far no joy. Also, buying both a shutter and a controller adds up to be pretty expensive.

We looked at Thorlabs. The Thorlabs SC10 controller is on the MM supported list. But the shutters driven by that controller (SH05, SH1) are too big to fit. We found a shutter that does fit, the SHB025, but that is incompatible with the SC10 controller. The SHB025 comes with its own controller though, which is driven via TTL signal. So maybe we could use MM to control some device that provides a TTL signal to the SHB025 controller?

Or maybe you folks have found some other way to do this ....

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Bill Whitney
Marshall University
Marshall Biological Imaging Center

Re: Finding a micro-manager supported shutter to fit in tight space

Kurt Thorn
On 1/19/2017 10:25 AM, bill_whitney wrote:
> We looked at Thorlabs. The Thorlabs SC10 controller is on the MM supported
> list. But the shutters driven by that controller (SH05, SH1) are too big to
> fit. We found a shutter that does fit, the SHB025, but that is incompatible
> with the SC10 controller. The SHB025 comes with its own controller though,
> which is driven via TTL signal. So maybe we could use MM to control some
> device that provides a TTL signal to the SHB025 controller?

One option to do this is to use an Arduino to generate the TTL to
control any TTL-controlled shutter.  We do this all the time.  The only
requirement is that the input impedance of the shutter be low enough to
be driven by the Arduino, or else you'll need a line driver.

See https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Arduino

Kurt

> Or maybe you folks have found some other way to do this ....
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you have.
>
> Bill Whitney
> Marshall University
> Marshall Biological Imaging Center

Kurt Thorn
Associate Professor
Director, Nikon Imaging Center
http://thornlab.ucsf.edu/
http://nic.ucsf.edu/blog/

Re: Finding a micro-manager supported shutter to fit in tight space

Jens
Hi Bill,

Have a look at LST200SLP shutters from NM lasers. You can find them at eBay for about 30 bucks.
 Their aperture is pretty small (2 mm) so you have to put them in before the beam expander but they are really fast (milliseconds) and can be driven by a diy driver using an arduino as TTL source:http://nmlaser.com/technical-information/shutter-controller-tutorials/

I used them to shutter DPSS lasers before and they worked nicely.

Jens Bosse

Am 19.01.2017 um 20:03 schrieb Kurt Thorn <[hidden email]>:

[...]

<quote author="Jens">
Have a look at LST200SLP shutters from NM lasers. You can find them at eBay for about 30 bucks.
 Their aperture is pretty small (2 mm) so you have to put them in before the beam expander but they are really fast (milliseconds) and can be driven by a diy driver using an arduino as TTL source:http://nmlaser.com/technical-information/shutter-controller-tutorials/

I used them to shutter DPSS lasers before and they worked nicely.

Jens Bosse

> Am 19.01.2017 um 20:03 schrieb Kurt Thorn <[hidden email]>:
>
> One option to do this is to use an Arduino to generate the TTL to
> control any TTL-controlled shutter.  We do this all the time.  The only
> requirement is that the input impedance of the shutter be low enough to
> be driven by the Arduino, or else you'll need a line driver.
>
> See https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Arduino
>
> Kurt

Thanks Jens, Kurt.
We had been thinking about using Arduino, but I do not have personal experience with them. It is good to hear that you guys have found success. We do have several Arduinos here in the lab lying about, so I will see what I can do with them.
Thanks for the links to the MM Arduino page, and also the nmlaser page on controllers.

Have you had any issues with timing, either overall performance, or consistency of timing?
By this I mean: the amount of time elapsed between when MM asks the shutter to open, and when the shutter actually opens. There are potential time delays at every link in the chain: MM to Arduino; Arduino to Shutter Controller; Shutter Controller to Shutter.
Have you been able to get reliable (repeatable), fast performance out of this setup?

Thanks again,
Bill

Re: Finding a micro-manager supported shutter to fit in tight space

Jens
Hi Bill,

The arduino is very reliable in trigger/sequencing mode.
Delays of shutters: easiest to get a photodiode like DET100 from Thorlabs and a 50 ohm Bnc resistor to measure actual delays by connecting them to an oscilloscope.
I had good success optimizing and characterizing my setup this way. MM also accepts inputting delays for correction.

Best,

Jens