Firewire Allied Vision Pike (or similar) using Dc1394 adapter?

Firewire Allied Vision Pike (or similar) using Dc1394 adapter?

otills
Hi, does anyone use MicroManager with the AVT Pike range of cameras, or any of the other AVT Firewire cameras, using the Dc1394 adapter (or is there an alternative?)? I'm trialling a few of the AVT Pike cameras however am doing this on a PC despite the camera ultimately being used on a Mac Pro, therefore I want confirmation that the cameras will work with this adapter and/or whether there are any issues with the adapter and this camera, before buying it and a Mac.

Many thanks, Oli

Re: [micro-manager-general] Firewire Allied Vision Pike (or similar) using Dc1394 adapter?

Gregory Jefferis
Hi Oli,

We use an AVT Guppy camera (which happens to be interlaced) and that works
fine for basic 8 bit format 7.  I added some simple functions for
deinterlacing and setting absolute shutter durations (ie in seconds rather
than arbitrary units) to the Dc1394 adapter.  16 bit modes may not be
supported.

Best,

Greg.

--
Gregory Jefferis, PhD                      [hidden email]
Division of Neurobiology                   LMB Lab:    +44 (0)1223 252943

http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/group-leaders/h-to-m/g-jefferis
http://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/directory/profile.php?gsxej2
http://flybrain.stanford.edu

Re: [micro-manager-general] Firewire Allied Vision Pike (or similar) using Dc1394 adapter?

E Chalaron
Hi Oliver
I have a Stingray, using it on Linux.
The Linux SDK from allied vision is obsolete and the support for 16 bits
/pixels acquisition is (so far for me) not possible (not tested with
micro manager though as there is no format 7 / external trigger support)
I think Libdc1394 2 is able to handle the raw files debayering but not
sure if it is implemented anywhere (not in coriander for say).

Cheers
Edouard

On 21/01/10 10:51, Oliver Tills wrote:

> Hi, does anyone use MicroManager with the AVT Pike range of cameras, or any of the other AVT Firewire cameras, using the Dc1394 adapter (or is there an alternative?)? I'm trialling a few of the AVT Pike cameras however am doing this on a PC despite the camera ultimately being used on a Mac Pro, therefore I want confirmation that the cameras will work with this adapter and/or whether there are any issues with the adapter and this camera, before buying it and a Mac.
>
> Many thanks, Oli

Hi Greg, can I confirm that this is on Mac?

Ideally I'll be trying to get it running at 16 bits but I guess this is something I'll be able to figure out once I get it set up.

Cheers, Oli

--
Gregory Jefferis, PhD                      [hidden email]
Division of Neurobiology                   LMB Lab:    +44 (0)1223 252943
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology,       LMB Office: +44 (0)1223 252944
Hills Road,                                LMB Fax:    +44 (0)1223 402310
Cambridge, CB2 0QH, UK.

http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/group-leaders/h-to-m/g-jefferis
http://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/directory/profile.php?gsxej2
http://flybrain.stanford.edu

Re: [micro-manager-general] Firewire Allied Vision Pike (or similar) using Dc1394 adapter?

Gregory Jefferis
Hi Edouard,

On 2010-01-20 21:59, "E Chalaron" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a Stingray, using it on Linux.
> The Linux SDK from allied vision is obsolete and the support for 16 bits
> /pixels acquisition is (so far for me) not possible (not tested with
> micro manager though as there is no format 7 / external trigger support)

Format 7 should work.  We have written code for external trigger in the past
- I don't think we submitted it.  I re-extracted the patches in case any
wants to try.  Unfortunately, they are against old code - svn
r1463/micromanager 1.2.

Best,

Greg.

--
Gregory Jefferis, PhD                      [hidden email]
Division of Neurobiology                   LMB Lab:    +44 (0)1223 252943
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology,       LMB Office: +44 (0)1223 252944
Hills Road,                                LMB Fax:    +44 (0)1223 402310
Cambridge, CB2 0QH, UK.

http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/group-leaders/h-to-m/g-jefferis
http://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/directory/profile.php?gsxej2
http://flybrain.stanford.edu

0003-dc1394-fixed-crash-in-new-session-when-external-trig.patch (1K) Download Attachment
0002-dc1394-Functional-version-of-External-Trigger.patch (4K) Download Attachment
0001-Added-basic-implementation-for-external-triggering-v.patch (5K) Download Attachment

On 2010-01-20 22:11, "Oliver Tills" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Greg, can I confirm that this is on Mac?

Yes, PPC and Intel.

> Ideally I'll be trying to get it running at 16 bits but I guess this is
> something I'll be able to figure out once I get it set up.

We have used other 16 bit cameras with in the dc1394 adapter, but we do not
have an AVT camera with that capability.

Best,

Greg.

--
Gregory Jefferis, PhD                                   and:
Research Fellow

Lab Tel: +44 (0)1223 336683                     Office: +44 (0)1223 339899
Lab Fax: +44 (0)1223 336676

[hidden email]
http://www.zoo.cam.ac.uk/zoostaff/jefferis.html
http://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/directory/profile.php?gsxej2
http://flybrain.stanford.edu

Re: [micro-manager-general] Firewire Allied Vision Pike (or similar) using Dc1394 adapter?

Nico Stuurman
> Format 7 should work.  We have written code for external trigger in the past
> - I don't think we submitted it.  I re-extracted the patches in case any
> wants to try.  Unfortunately, they are against old code - svn
> r1463/micromanager 1.2.

"patch < 0001-Added-basic-implementation-for-external-triggering-v.patch" yields:

Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?

Suggestions?

Also, you have direct write access to the dc1394 directory in the Micro-Manager repository, so you are welcome to patch the code directly.