Gain or ISO control for DSLRs

bsanii
Hi folks,

I'm trying to gauge how much interest there is in a panel menu to
control the gain of a DSLR camera from within µ-Manager.  I noticed
there is a plug-in for controlling Andor EM gain, but I couldn't find
any tools to change the ISO sensitivity of a DSLR.  I'm considering
learning how to write one, but the cleanliness of the solution depends
on whether there is a community need!

If you would be interested in gain/ISO control from within µ-Manager
could you reply appropriately?  For example, this is important to my
application as I regularly change the gain between
samples/fluorophores, and I also like quantitative brightness
measurements.

Thanks-

Babak

Re: Gain or ISO control for DSLRs

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi Babak,

> I'm trying to gauge how much interest there is in a panel menu to control the gain of a DSLR camera from within µ-Manager.  I noticed
> there is a plug-in for controlling Andor EM gain, but I couldn't find any tools to change the ISO sensitivity of a DSLR.  I'm considering
> learning how to write one, but the cleanliness of the solution depends on whether there is a community need!

If you want to add only a single property to the UI, the simplest way is to make a configuration group.  No need to write a plugin!

See:

http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~MM/MMwiki/index.php/Micro-Manager_User%27s_Guide#Grouping_device_properties:_Configuration_Presets

This comment is valid of course only if ISO sensitivity is exposed as a property in the device adapter  If it is not, you will need to write that code.

Re: Gain or ISO control for DSLRs

bsanii
Hi Nico, great to hear from you!

That is a great suggestion- configuration presets for a few sensitivities would be sufficient, and probably the best way to implement this.  ISO sensitivity isn't exposed as a property though, I'll look into that next.

Thanks,

Babak

On Oct 15, 2012, at 9:02 AM, Nico Stuurman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Babak,
>
>> I'm trying to gauge how much interest there is in a panel menu to control the gain of a DSLR camera from within µ-Manager.  I noticed
>> there is a plug-in for controlling Andor EM gain, but I couldn't find any tools to change the ISO sensitivity of a DSLR.  I'm considering
>> learning how to write one, but the cleanliness of the solution depends on whether there is a community need!
>
> If you want to add only a single property to the UI, the simplest way is to make a configuration group.  No need to write a plugin!
>
> See:
>
> http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~MM/MMwiki/index.php/Micro-Manager_User%27s_Guide#Grouping_device_properties:_Configuration_Presets
>
> This comment is valid of course only if ISO sensitivity is exposed as a property in the device adapter  If it is not, you will need to write that code.
>
> Best,
>
> Nico

Re: Gain or ISO control for DSLRs

bsanii
Hi MM-listers,

Together with Koen De Vleeschauwer we've exposed ISO sensitivity for consumer digital cameras that use gphoto (a long list that includes Canon and Nikon).  The code is included and tested with the latest nightly build.

Per Nico's suggestion this lets us create presets in µManager, e.g., low-gain and high-gain, that we can use to switch between fluorescence and conventional microscopy.  This also will enable a measure of quantitative fluorescence microscopy as we have better control over the gain of the cameras now.

Please let us know if you run into any bugs (e.g., so far we have only tested them with Canons).

Thanks-

Babak Sanii
Claremont-McKenna, Scripps and Pitzer colleges