Hamamatsu Camera and Pheonix Card

Douglas Andrew Chapnick
Hi, Im currently trying to use MM with a Hammamatsu  C4742-95-12NR Camera with a pheonix card and MM doesnt seem to be able to recognize the camera. Is there a fix already around for this problem. Im fairly sure the Hammamatsu driver is correct because this camera was being run with another microscope using the driver for several years. The hardware seems to be functioning correctly according to windows (XP) device manager. Please let me know if you have encountered this problem and what can be done. Thanks,
-Doug

Re: Hamamatsu Camera and Pheonix Card

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
> Hi, Im currently trying to use MM with a Hammamatsu  C4742-95-12NR Camera with a pheonix card and MM doesnt seem to be able to recognize the camera. Is there a fix already around for this problem. Im fairly sure the Hammamatsu driver is correct because this camera was being run with another microscope using the driver for several years. The hardware seems to be functioning correctly according to windows (XP) device manager. Please let me know if you have encountered this problem and what can be done. Thanks,

Did you check that the camera works with the Hamamatsu ExCap application?  See the MIcro-Manager Wiki page on the Hamamatsu camera at: http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Hamamatsu

Quoting:

"If Micro-Manager reports: "No camera found" while configuring Micro-Manager with a Hamamatsu camera, make sure that it works with the software provided by Hamamatsu. On Windows, you can launch it by starting the Hamamatsu installer, click the "Others" button, and select "ExCap". Make sure that Excap finds your camera and that you can "Snap" an image in ExCap. If ExCap does not find the camera, it is likely that the wrong driver is installed for your Firewire Hamamatsu camera. Open the Windows Device Manager (Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager). Find the Hamamatsu camera (it can be under "Imaging Devices"). Right click and select "Properties". Make sure that the driver is from Hamamatsu. If it is not (most likely alternative is that the driver is from Microsoft), uninstall the driver, and re-install, making sure that the Hamamatsu driver is installed this time."

Re: Hamamatsu Camera and Pheonix Card

Douglas Andrew Chapnick
Hi Nico,
I recently saw that Wiki response. Im having trouble finding the hamamatsu installer, and thus the excap. I have the 2007 package for windows XP, and inside I only see Setup and Autorun programs, which I used to install the hardware. Is there a way I could download the Hamamatsu installer. Hamamatsu has been no help so far, as I havent gotten a reply from them in 4 days and dont see a download option for that on their website. thanks for the help.
-Doug

Re: Hamamatsu Camera and Pheonix Card

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
> I recently saw that Wiki response. Im having trouble finding the hamamatsu installer, and thus the excap. I have the 2007 package for windows XP, and inside I only see Setup and Autorun programs, which I used to install the hardware. Is there a way I could download the Hamamatsu installer. Hamamatsu has been no help so far, as I havent gotten a reply from them in 4 days and dont see a download option for that on their website. thanks for the help.

They apparently changed the webaddress for their download page and forgot to add adda note to that effect on the old page.  The new address for download of DCAM is:

http://www.dcamapi.com/

I also updated the wiki with this link.

Re: Hamamatsu Camera and Pheonix Card

Douglas Andrew Chapnick
Excap functions with the camera, as I can take a picture just fine. When I try to load the hamamatsu camera configuration, I get Error 22, which says camera not found when I put 2 in for the value (the card is in slot 2). I have tried putting the card in slot 1, and changing values from 0, to 1 to 2 after closing everything...and nothing seems to get the camera recognized. Note, if I put value 1 in... the error22 says "module failed to load", instead of "camera not found". Any ideas? Thanks,
-Doug

>> I recently saw that Wiki response. Im having trouble finding the hamamatsu installer, and thus the excap. I have the 2007 package for windows XP, and inside I only see Setup and Autorun programs, which I used to install the hardware. Is there a way I could download the Hamamatsu installer. Hamamatsu has been no help so far, as I havent gotten a reply from them in 4 days and dont see a download option for that on their website. thanks for the help.
>
>They apparently changed the webaddress for their download page and forgot to add adda note to that effect on the old page.  The new address for download of DCAM is:
>
>http://www.dcamapi.com/
>
>I also updated the wiki with this link.
>
>Best,
>
>Nico

Re: Hamamatsu Camera and Pheonix Card

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
> Excap functions with the camera, as I can take a picture just fine. When I try to load the hamamatsu camera configuration, I get Error 22, which says camera not found when I put 2 in for the value (the card is in slot 2). I have tried putting the card in slot 1, and changing values from 0, to 1 to 2 after closing everything...and nothing seems to get the camera recognized. Note, if I put value 1 in... the error22 says "module failed to load", instead of "camera not found". Any ideas? Thanks,

The 'Slot' pre-initialization value in Micro-Manager is unrelated to the PCI slot in which you put the card.  It merely lets you work with multiple Hamamatsu cameras simultanuously.  You should set it to 0.  If Excap works, and Micro-Manager does not work with that parameter set to 0, please send a Corelog.txt acquired in debug mode as described in the FAQ ( https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Micro-Manager_FAQ#Something_does_not_work.__What_do_I_do.3F ) to [hidden email].

Re: Hamamatsu Camera and Pheonix Card

Beat Ludin
Doug -

We had a very similar problem when we installed
an Orca-3CCD with a Phoenix board under ImagePro
for a customer. After a long exchange with
Hamamatsu, we finally found that we had to edit
the registry by adding two keys to set/activate
the serial port connection. For some reason,
ExCap worked without it, but IPP needed it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hamamatsu\DCAM\Modules\Phoenix\01]
"comm.port"="COM1"
"comm.mode"="96,n,8,1"

Obviously, "COM1" needs to be adapted for the serial port used.
Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,  Beat

At 19:59 24-03-10, you wrote:

>Excap functions with the camera, as I can take a
>picture just fine. When I try to load the
>hamamatsu camera configuration, I get Error 22,
>which says camera not found when I put 2 in for
>the value (the card is in slot 2). I have tried
>putting the card in slot 1, and changing values
>from 0, to 1 to 2 after closing everything...and
>nothing seems to get the camera recognized.
>Note, if I put value 1 in... the error22 says
>"module failed to load", instead of "camera not found". Any ideas? Thanks,
>-Doug

Hi Beat,
We've now finally got it to work with the Hamamatsu adapter...everything just needed to be uninstalled and re installed after the adapter for some reason. Thanks for the help though.