Hamamatsu Orca ER C4742-80 "sensitivity" and other Q's

Hamamatsu Orca ER C4742-80 "sensitivity" and other Q's

vancouverotter
Hi all, I am an amateur scientist pursuing photon emission detection. i
picked up a Hamamatsu ORCA ER C4742-80 and controller and seem to have
figured out most of it's functionality and controls. Using HCImageLive
software

I have a background in professional and technical photography and so relate
to film/sensor ratings like ISO or ASA - 100/400/3200 etc...

What is the "asa" or "speed" of the camera sensor?? is this a relevant
question?

Binning - by what factor does binning increase the relative sensitivity of
the device? i note that increased binning creates more noise, similar to how
noise builds up on my Nikon pro camera as i wind it up to 3200asa and
beyond. will "background subtraction" extract most of the noise?

i am using long exposures with plants and human subjects, 20-40 mins - can
anyone recommend best settings for loooonnng exposures please - Variability
Tolerance & Rate of Convergence settings?

Thanks for any advice! Anyone in Vancouver BC gets a free lunch if you are
willing to meet with me to further discuss. Willing to pay for in person
tutoring on the device.

Brian Powell

-----
Brian Powell
Vancouver B.C.
778-896-0134

Brian Powell
Vancouver B.C.
778-896-0134

Re: Hamamatsu Orca ER C4742-80 "sensitivity" and other Q's

nanthony
I'm a bit new to this and can't answer your questions directly. I'm also not
sure that this is the right place to be asking general questions about
cameras.

Many of your questions can probably be found in documents from camera
manufacturers. Here's a good one I found on google that answers your
questions about the effects of binning:
http://www.andor.com/learning-academy/ccd-binning-what-does-binning-mean

Hope that helps,
  Nick

Re: Hamamatsu Orca ER C4742-80 "sensitivity" and other Q's

JonD
Hi Brian,

To add to what Nick said you also need to pay attention to the type of
sensor.  E.g. binning is possible with both CCD and sCMOS but the mechanism
is different and hence noise properties are too.

Lots of things get lumped into "noise", the extent to which they can be
compensated for depends on the source.  There are lots of people/companies
trying to push things to the physical limits and there has been lots of
progress in the past decade.

I believe that the speed corresponds directly to the exposure time.  10+
minute exposures are extremely long for microscopy.  I know the world of
bioluminescence imaging deals with similar problems so you might find some
hints there, as also with "non-destructive read" sensors.  And of course
astronomy.

These iBiology videos might be helpful to you, search for them:

Cameras and Detectors I: How Do They Work? (Nico Stuurman, UCSF/HHMI)
Cameras and Detectors II: Specifications and Performance (Nico Stuurman,
UCSF/HHMI)

Jon