Hamamatsu Orca-ER via firewire

David Karig
I've been having problems getting MicroManager to recognize a Hamamatsu Orca-ER camera (C4742-80) connected via Firewire.  When I add Hamamatsu_DCAM in the Hardware Config Wizard, I get the following error saying that the camera can't be found:
Message: Error code: 22
Hamamatsu_DCAM. No camera found

I installed the DCAM API for IEEE 1394 from www.dcamapi.com.  Are there separate drivers that I need to install additionally?  The computer is new, and unfortunately I don't have the CD's or manual that came with it at the moment.

Also, do I need to enter a value for the "Slot" property?

Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Hamamatsu Orca-ER via firewire

Zoltan
Hi Dave,

Do you have the DCAM SDK installed?  I had to get this from Hamamatsu (I e-mailed them with my camera's SN and got the CD quickly in the post) and put the SDK into 3rdparty/Hamamatsu/DCAMSDK/ or /DeviceAdapters/Hamamatsu.  I have the exact same camera, also running via Firewire on Windows 32 and  64, and it runs fine with MM.  I build MM from "scratch", so I might be more flexible in where I install the SDK, the MM guys will know if there is a default location for the dcamapi.lib file when using the pre-built version of MM.  All should work fine once you have the SDK.
  I hope this helps a bit.  Best,

Zoltan

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM, David Karig <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been having problems getting MicroManager to recognize a Hamamatsu Orca-ER camera (C4742-80) connected via Firewire.  When I add Hamamatsu_DCAM in the Hardware Config Wizard, I get the following error saying that the camera can't be found:
Message: Error code: 22
Hamamatsu_DCAM. No camera found

I installed the DCAM API for IEEE 1394 from www.dcamapi.com.  Are there separate drivers that I need to install additionally?  The computer is new, and unfortunately I don't have the CD's or manual that came with it at the moment.

Also, do I need to enter a value for the "Slot" property?

Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Zoltan Cseresnyes
Facility manager, Imaging Suite

Re: Hamamatsu Orca-ER via firewire

Frederick Ross
You don't need the SDK, just the drivers, on Windows.  I have the same
camera hooked up to MicroManager on Windows XP, which shows up with no
problems.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Zoltan Cseresnyes<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Do you have the DCAM SDK installed?  I had to get this from Hamamatsu (I
> e-mailed them with my camera's SN and got the CD quickly in the post) and
> put the SDK into 3rdparty/Hamamatsu/DCAMSDK/ or /DeviceAdapters/Hamamatsu.
> I have the exact same camera, also running via Firewire on Windows 32 and
> 64, and it runs fine with MM.  I build MM from "scratch", so I might be more
> flexible in where I install the SDK, the MM guys will know if there is a
> default location for the dcamapi.lib file when using the pre-built version
> of MM.  All should work fine once you have the SDK.
>   I hope this helps a bit.  Best,
>
> Zoltan
>

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM, David Karig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been having problems getting MicroManager to recognize a Hamamatsu
>> Orca-ER camera (C4742-80) connected via Firewire.  When I add Hamamatsu_DCAM
>> in the Hardware Config Wizard, I get the following error saying that the
>> camera can't be found:
>> Message: Error code: 22
>> Hamamatsu_DCAM. No camera found
>>
>> I installed the DCAM API for IEEE 1394 from www.dcamapi.com.  Are there
>> separate drivers that I need to install additionally?  The computer is new,
>> and unfortunately I don't have the CD's or manual that came with it at the
>> moment.
>>
>> Also, do I need to enter a value for the "Slot" property?
>>
>> Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

> Zoltan Cseresnyes
> Facility manager, Imaging Suite

Frederick Ross
Doctorant, SV/GHI/UPKIN, EPFL
Graduate Fellow, The Rockefeller University

Re: Hamamatsu Orca-ER via firewire

David Karig
Thanks for your responses about getting the Orca-ER working.  It's encouraging to know that you've had success.  Hopefully Hamamatsu will come through and send me a replacement driver CD, and hopefully it's ok that I'm using Windows Vista.

Best regards,
Dave

Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:35:59 +0200
From: Frederick Ross <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [micro-manager-general] Hamamatsu Orca-ER via firewire
To: Micro-Manager General
       <[hidden email]>

You don't need the SDK, just the drivers, on Windows.  I have the same
camera hooked up to MicroManager on Windows XP, which shows up with no
problems.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Zoltan Cseresnyes<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Do you?have the DCAM SDK installed???I had to get this from Hamamatsu (I
> e-mailed them with?my camera's SN and?got the CD?quickly in the post)?and
> put the SDK into 3rdparty/Hamamatsu/DCAMSDK/ or /DeviceAdapters/Hamamatsu.
> I have the exact same camera, also running via Firewire on Windows 32 and
> 64, and it runs fine with MM. ?I build MM from "scratch", so I might be more
> flexible in where I install the SDK, the MM guys will know if there is?a
> default location for the dcamapi.lib file when using the pre-built version
> of MM.? All should work fine once you have the SDK.
> ? I hope this helps a bit.? Best,
>
> Zoltan
>

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM, David Karig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been having problems getting MicroManager to recognize a Hamamatsu
>> Orca-ER camera (C4742-80) connected via Firewire.? When I add Hamamatsu_DCAM
>> in the Hardware Config Wizard, I get the following error saying that the
>> camera can't be found:
>> Message: Error code: 22
>> Hamamatsu_DCAM. No camera found
>>
>> I installed the DCAM API for IEEE 1394 from www.dcamapi.com.? Are there
>> separate drivers that I need to install additionally?? The computer is new,
>> and unfortunately I don't have the CD's or manual that came with it at the
>> moment.
>>
>> Also, do I need to enter a value for the "Slot" property?
>>
>> Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

Re: Hamamatsu Orca-ER via firewire

Frederick Ross
The drivers are available for download on their website:
http://sales.hamamatsu.com/index.php?id=13188404

That's all you need.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM, David Karig<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your responses about getting the Orca-ER working.  It's
> encouraging to know that you've had success.  Hopefully Hamamatsu will come
> through and send me a replacement driver CD, and hopefully it's ok that I'm
> using Windows Vista.
>
> Best regards,
> Dave
>

> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:35:59 +0200
> From: Frederick Ross <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [micro-manager-general] Hamamatsu Orca-ER via firewire
> To: Micro-Manager General
>        <[hidden email]>
>
> You don't need the SDK, just the drivers, on Windows.  I have the same
> camera hooked up to MicroManager on Windows XP, which shows up with no
> problems.
>
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Zoltan Cseresnyes<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Do you?have the DCAM SDK installed???I had to get this from Hamamatsu (I
>> e-mailed them with?my camera's SN and?got the CD?quickly in the post)?and
>> put the SDK into 3rdparty/Hamamatsu/DCAMSDK/ or /DeviceAdapters/Hamamatsu.
>> I have the exact same camera, also running via Firewire on Windows 32 and
>> 64, and it runs fine with MM. ?I build MM from "scratch", so I might be
>> more
>> flexible in where I install the SDK, the MM guys will know if there is?a
>> default location for the dcamapi.lib file when using the pre-built version
>> of MM.? All should work fine once you have the SDK.
>> ? I hope this helps a bit.? Best,
>>
>> Zoltan
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM, David Karig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been having problems getting MicroManager to recognize a Hamamatsu
>>> Orca-ER camera (C4742-80) connected via Firewire.? When I add
>>> Hamamatsu_DCAM
>>> in the Hardware Config Wizard, I get the following error saying that the
>>> camera can't be found:
>>> Message: Error code: 22
>>> Hamamatsu_DCAM. No camera found
>>>
>>> I installed the DCAM API for IEEE 1394 from www.dcamapi.com.? Are there
>>> separate drivers that I need to install additionally?? The computer is
>>> new,
>>> and unfortunately I don't have the CD's or manual that came with it at
>>> the
>>> moment.
>>>
>>> Also, do I need to enter a value for the "Slot" property?
>>>
>>> Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave

Frederick Ross
Doctorant, SV/GHI/UPKIN, EPFL
Graduate Fellow, The Rockefeller University

Re: Hamamatsu Orca-ER via firewire

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Dave,

>> Hopefully Hamamatsu will come
>> through and send me a replacement driver CD, and hopefully it's ok
>> that I'm
>> using Windows Vista.

> The drivers are available for download on their website:
> http://sales.hamamatsu.com/index.php?id=13188404

I believe that Frederick is correct and that the CD you will receive
contains a copy of the software that you can download through the link
above.  Most likely, you have accidentally installed the wrong driver
for the camera.  Windows has a generic driver for firewire cameras
(Hamamatsu actually uses the iidc specs, so it should even be possible
to use these cameras on linux using the dc1394 adapter although I have
never tried).  If that driver got installed instead of the Hamamatsu
driver, then the Hamamatsu DCAM software will not find a camera.  I
added some text to the wiki page about the Hamamatsu camera (copied
below) that might help you solve the situation.  Hamamatsu should also
be able and willing to help you resolve this:

If Micro-Manager reports: "No camera found" while configuring Micro-
Manager with a Hamamatsu camera, make sure that it works with the
software provided by Hamamatsu. On Windows, you can launch it by
starting the Hamamatsu installer, click the "Others" button, and
select "ExCap". Make sure that Excap finds your camera and that you
can "Snap" an image in ExCap. If ExCap does not find the camera, it is
likely that the wrong driver is installed for your Firewire Hamamatsu
camera. Open the Windows Device Manager (Start->Control Panel->System-
 >Hardware->Device Manager). Find the Hamamatsu camera (it can be
under "Imaging Devices"). Right click and select "Properties". Make
sure that the driver is from Hamamatsu. If it is not (most likely
alternative is that the driver is from Microsoft), uninstall the
driver, and re-install, making sure that the Hamamatsu driver is
installed this time.