Quantcast

How to Automate ASI X-YStage control

PP

How to Automate ASI X-YStage control

PP
 Hello Sir / Mam

I have a ASI MS-2000 X-Y Stage with LX4000 Controller, this I am able to run this stage in X-Y direction with the help of Micro-Manager GUI. However I want to automate this stage, as it is part of my project. Can You Please suggest me how to make this possible? if some configuration setting is required  please guide me through the same, as I am new to this domain.
Your help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Best Regards
Prashant Paul

Re: How to Automate ASI X-YStage control

Philip Nicovich
Prashant,

This is straightforward to do with the Beanshell interface, or alternatively through the MATLAB or Python imports.  Which you choose depends on which scripting language you are most comfortable in for the other things you'll need to do while automating.

In the Beanshell interface in MM 2.0 you'd use:

xyStage = mmc.getXYStageDevice();

to get the object associated with the stage device and then

mmc.setXYPosition(xyStage, XPost, YPost); \\ XPost and YPost in micrometers

or

mmc.setRelativeXYPosition(xyStage, XrelPost, YrelPost); \\ XrelPost and YrelPost in micrometers

to move the stage and

mmc.waitForDevice(xyStage);

to let the stage finish moving before doing the next step.

There is also a way to build up a list using the multiple positions functionality and executing them in order, which may be more appropriate for your application.

Rusty

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 6:50 AM, Prashant Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Hello Sir / Mam

I have a ASI MS-2000 X-Y Stage with LX4000 Controller, this I am able to run this stage in X-Y direction with the help of Micro-Manager GUI. However I want to automate this stage, as it is part of my project. Can You Please suggest me how to make this possible? if some configuration setting is required  please guide me through the same, as I am new to this domain.
Your help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Best Regards
Prashant Paul

Philip R Nicovich

Research Fellow,  ARC Centre of Excellence in Advanced Molecular Imaging

THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES

UNSW  SYDNEY  NSW  2052  AUSTRALIA

T: +61 (0)4 9909 2177

E: [hidden email]

CRICOS Provider No. 00098G

Re: How to Automate ASI X-YStage control

Austin
ASI stages have an awesome functionality of running an internal set of pre-loaded positions. Not sure if you’ve already considered this, but in the “sequence mode” you load up the positions, then use a TTL pulse to trigger the next move. It’s way faster than conventional communication.

Page 23 of the PDF “advanced applications"manual covers this - <a href="http://www.asiimaging.com/downloads/manuals/Advanced Applications.pdf" class="">http://www.asiimaging.com/downloads/manuals/Advanced%20Applications.pdf

Austin

PP

Re: How to Automate ASI X-YStage control

PP
Thank You Philip Nicovich for the response. But I need to automate the stage with LabVIEW programming Interface.
Can Someone please tell me how to control the ASI MS-2000 stage with LX-4000 controller can be controlled using LabVIEW programming interface.

Re: How to Automate ASI X-YStage control

JonD
PP wrote
Thank You Philip Nicovich for the response. But I need to automate the stage with LabVIEW programming Interface.
Can Someone please tell me how to control the ASI MS-2000 stage with LX-4000 controller can be controlled using LabVIEW programming interface.
Hi Prashant, I'm only seeing your post on Nabble but I can still respond to it.

ASI provides drivers for LabView for their stages but there are some differences in the LX-4000 command set.  ASI is contractually obligated not to disclose the LX-4000 command set; it was an OEM product and never intended for end users (I understand where you're coming from though... you can get a nice stage on E-bay if you're willing to put up with the hassle).

Some smart people have figured out the command set differences and tweaked the ASIStage Micro-Manager device adapter.  You can either read the code and copy their solution to LabView or figure out the differences by yourself.  See this thread: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/Talking-to-the-ASI-LX-4000-tp7583112p7583113.html.  Control is purely over serial (usually via USB physical connection with in-controller USB-to-serial converter).

ASI can also upgrade your LX-4000 controller to a modern Tiger controller for a fee.

Note that Austin's note about TTL control does not apply to LX-4000 systems (look in the thread linked above).

Jon

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402