How to trigger Micromanager?

Micro-Manager mailing list
Dear all,

I have a general question would like to see if anyone here has prior experience triggering micromanager from a outer shell?

My lab is trying to build a sequencing system that consist of two parts: 1. Fluidics system and 2. Imaging system. Imaging system will be controlled by micromanager.

I am writing a program in Java, it will act as the fluidic control as well as the trigger to the micromanager. Here is my question:

How should I set up my IDE (Netbeans/Eclipse)? which Java SDK should I use? which Java Runtime Environment should I use?

It seems like if I call “MMStudio gui_ = new MMStudio(true);” directly, it couldn’t load the micromanager properly.

Sincerely
Donny

Re: How to trigger Micromanager?

JonD
Administrator
Hi Donny,

> I have a general question would like to see if anyone here has prior
> experience triggering micromanager from a outer shell?

Since nobody else has responded I'll offer some non-expert thoughts in no
particular order.

If you only need to use the Core API (and not the GUI API) then presumably
you could invoke the core like MM's Java layer "MMStudio" does.  Maybe this
is what you are trying.

Consider writing your Java code in the form of a Micro-Manager plugin
instead of a stand-alone program.

There is a mechanism called RMI for Java code in different virtual machines
to communicate.  It's not simple, but if you search the mailing list
archives for that term you'll see some threads about talking to
Micro-Manager from the outside world in what are probably better ways.

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

Re: How to trigger Micromanager?

Micro-Manager mailing list
Hi, Jon

I would like to first thank you for your generous help. I’ve just got lucky enough to make it work last Friday(not easy, took me one whole week, turns out I made a small mistake), which involves invoking the MMStudio GUI, I agree with you, it seems easier to work directly with the Core, but our workflow requires the user to set up some perimeters using the GUI prior to starting the multi-D acquisition.

Thank you again for your help!

Best,
Donny Sun