I am wondering if Micro-Manager has

Cliff Schuring

Hello,

I am wondering if Micro-Manager has the ability to access and control the two D/A's on the Arduino DUE, I would like to control two scanning mirrors on a microscope. I could not find anything in my search. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Cliff Schuring

Re: I am wondering if Micro-Manager has

Straub, Volko A. (Dr.)

Dear Cliff,

It should be possible – have you looked at the Arduino device adapter description that contains a section on DAC use towards the end?

Hope this helps,

Volko

I am wondering if Micro-Manager has the ability to access and control the two D/A's on the Arduino DUE, I would like to control two scanning mirrors on a microscope. I could not find anything in my search. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Cliff Schuring

I am wondering if Micro-Manager has the ability to access and control the two D/A's on the Arduino DUE, I would like to control two scanning mirrors on a microscope. I could not find anything in my search. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Cliff Schuring

Re: I am wondering if Micro-Manager has

AustinBlanco
Hi Cliff,

Depending on how fast you need to go, there are a few options. One is the due FuncitonGen method

Another would be to use my Triggerscope control board, which can soft span a 16 bit dac output on 16 channels, ranging from +/-10V down to +/-2.5V.

If you are using Thor Galvos (or similar analog driven galvo controllers) then I’d pay close attention to the input range. You can get a lot of resolution loss if using a 10V range input on a 5V range input.

Bear in mind that this is speed limited (using basically any arduino) as the instruction steps needed to either access a memory value+issue a write, or to calculate a sine wave (which is typically what’s used for scanning), takes a bit of time. So, 1Khz is doable, but the Mhz range gets tricky. For that I’d suggest looking at a function generator which is serially controlled, something like this - https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-UDB1002S-Signal-Generator-Function/dp/B00JTR66CG/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1544456341&sr=8-13&keywords=serial+control+function+generator
might be a low cost solution, but I’ve not had a chance to play with one yet.

Austin Blanco
Advanced Research Consulting Corporation
e. [hidden email]
w. www.advancedresearch.co
c. 510.708.2995

On Dec 9, 2018, at 12:33 PM, Cliff Schuring <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I am wondering if Micro-Manager has the ability to access and control the two D/A's on the Arduino DUE, I would like to control two scanning mirrors on a microscope. I could not find anything in my search. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Cliff Schuring

Re: I am wondering if Micro-Manager has

Cliff Schuring
Austin,

Thank you very much, I will look into these solutions

Happy Holidays
Cliff Schuring

Depending on how fast you need to go, there are a few options. One is the due FuncitonGen method

Another would be to use my Triggerscope control board, which can soft span a 16 bit dac output on 16 channels, ranging from +/-10V down to +/-2.5V.

If you are using Thor Galvos (or similar analog driven galvo controllers) then I’d pay close attention to the input range. You can get a lot of resolution loss if using a 10V range input on a 5V range input.

Bear in mind that this is speed limited (using basically any arduino) as the instruction steps needed to either access a memory value+issue a write, or to calculate a sine wave (which is typically what’s used for scanning), takes a bit of time. So, 1Khz is doable, but the Mhz range gets tricky. For that I’d suggest looking at a function generator which is serially controlled, something like this - <a href="https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-UDB1002S-Signal-Generator-Function/dp/B00JTR66CG/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1544456341&amp;sr=8-13&amp;keywords=serial&#43;control&#43;function&#43;generator" class="">https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-UDB1002S-Signal-Generator-Function/dp/B00JTR66CG/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1544456341&sr=8-13&keywords=serial+control+function+generator