IEEE 1394 adapter and shutter

Fulvio Celsi
Dear All
I'm trying to setup mm on my system (windows XP) but it seems that I've got some problems:
1-shutter--> I'm using a vincent Uniblitz T132 shutter controller, connected with RS232 (com1??). In the configuration I've put the info found on the manual (Baud rate 300, No parity, 8 Bits, 1 Stop bit.). But mm seems to not see it. so...questions:
A) What is the meaning of 8bits from the manual? where in mm I've to put this info?in the config parameters I've nothing resembling it
B)I've increased the AnswerTimeout to 700ms, to see if mm recognize it...but nothin
C) Address (in configWizard)..what does it mean? which value?

2-camera --> I'm using a F-viewII from Olympus system, connected through a firewire (IEEE1394). It's not in the list of the one supported, but I saw that for Linux/Mac there's a IEEE 1394 adapter for mm that support the F-view II. Does it exists for Win??
moreover, I've asked Olympus if they can make an adapter or something similar and they give me a software that convert the input of the camera in a TWAIN source...Question: how can I use it in mm? There's not something like "generic TWAIN source" for the camera...
Many Many thanks in advance...and sorry, I'm a little naive on this...maybe some questions are stupid!! :)
Fulvio Celsi

Fulvio Celsi
BsC,PhD
Sector of Neurobiology,
International School for Advanced Studies, Scuola Internazionale di Studi Superiori Avanzati (SISSA),
Trieste
Italy

Mobile: +393286489131

Re: IEEE 1394 adapter and shutter

Frederick Ross
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Fulvio Celsi<[hidden email]> wrote:

For your shutter, can you communicate with it with HyperTerminal or
Termite?  Try that first.

> A) What is the meaning of 8bits from the manual? where in mm I've to put
> this info?in the config parameters I've nothing resembling it

Nowhere, this means 8-bit word size.  Essentially everything today is
8-bit, but this is a holdover from the days when there were computers
with 6, 8, 11, 12, and other exotic number of bit sized words.  The
ubiquity of machine dependent languages derived from C has killed all
of these.

> 2-camera --> I'm using a F-viewII from Olympus system, connected through a
> firewire (IEEE1394). It's not in the list of the one supported, but I saw
> that for Linux/Mac there's a IEEE 1394 adapter for mm that support the
> F-view II. Does it exists for Win??

No.  The driver accesses a library called libdc1394 that runs on Linux
and Mac.  There exist generic 1394 libraries for Windows, but
MicroManager does not have bindings to them that I'm aware.

> moreover, I've asked Olympus if they can make an adapter or something
> similar and they give me a software that convert the input of the camera in
> a TWAIN source...Question: how can I use it in mm? There's not something
> like "generic TWAIN source" for the camera...

TWAIN source will not help you.  You're not going to be able to do
what you want with the camera.  That's an incredibly ugly hack, and
you want nothing to do with it.  The issue here is that Olympus is
going to try to screw you over until you pay thousands of euros for
their software.  This is how they operate.

--
Frederick Ross
Doctorant, SV/GHI/UPKIN, EPFL

Re: IEEE 1394 adapter and shutter

Fulvio Celsi

Thanks for the quick answer! :)

For your shutter, can you communicate with it with HyperTerminal or
Termite?  Try that first.
mmm apparently (HyperTerminal) seems not. I've tried sending ASCII command (as from the manual) but It doesn't do anything...and it's connected and everything..

Nowhere, this means 8-bit word size.  Essentially everything today is
8-bit, but this is a holdover from the days when there were computers
with 6, 8, 11, 12, and other exotic number of bit sized words.  The
ubiquity of machine dependent languages derived from C has killed all
of these.
ah..ok..thanks for the info...a little of history always help...

> moreover, I've asked Olympus if they can make an adapter or something
> similar and they give me a software that convert the input of the camera in
> a TWAIN source...Question: how can I use it in mm? There's not something
> like "generic TWAIN source" for the camera...

TWAIN source will not help you.  You're not going to be able to do
what you want with the camera.  That's an incredibly ugly hack, and
you want nothing to do with it.  The issue here is that Olympus is
going to try to screw you over until you pay thousands of euros for
their software.  This is how they operate.
Their software that is really bad.. I have Cell^F and I will NOT recommend to anyone who wants to do serious imaging...moreover they force you to use ONLY their software...unfortunatly we have only this camera...
So..any suggestion?
put an Ubuntu OS on the XP machine and use it for controlling mm? (my IT technician will be happy maybe..)?
or still asking Olympus for help??
Thankss!
Fulvio

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Fulvio Celsi<[hidden email]> wrote:
> mmm apparently (HyperTerminal) seems not. I've tried sending ASCII command
> (as from the manual) but It doesn't do anything...and it's connected and
> everything..

You need to play with this until you get it right.  It may be issues
of the end-of-line character, flow control, and parity.

> Their software that is really bad.. I have Cell^F and I will NOT recommend
> to anyone who wants to do serious imaging...moreover they force you to use
> ONLY their software...

Yes, we have suffered with CellM and CellR.  Further, there are
show-stopping bugs in these programs, and the company refuses to fix
them.

> So..any suggestion?
> put an Ubuntu OS on the XP machine and use it for controlling mm? (my IT
> technician will be happy maybe..)?

Worth a try.  The Olympus driver is described as only working on
Windows and Mac, but since the driver is just a wrapper around
commands sent to a serial port, it's hard to see why the Mac version
shouldn't work on any posix system.

--
Frederick Ross
Doctorant, SV/GHI/UPKIN, EPFL
Graduate Fellow, The Rockefeller University

Re: IEEE 1394 adapter and shutter

Fulvio Celsi

You need to play with this until you get it right.  It may be issues
of the end-of-line character, flow control, and parity.
Ok..I'll try different combination...

> So..any suggestion?
> put an Ubuntu OS on the XP machine and use it for controlling mm? (my IT
> technician will be happy maybe..)?

Worth a try.  The Olympus driver is described as only working on
Windows and Mac, but since the driver is just a wrapper around
commands sent to a serial port, it's hard to see why the Mac version
shouldn't work on any posix system.
Uhh...so you mean the adapter is for MacOS and "should" work on Unix? becuase I'm not sure to try the Ubuntu installation and the still not working..
Anyway,,thanks a lot for the helping

Fulvio Celsi

--
Frederick Ross
Doctorant, SV/GHI/UPKIN, EPFL
Graduate Fellow, The Rockefeller University

Re: IEEE 1394 adapter and shutter

Hi Fulvio,

> 1-shutter--> I'm using a vincent Uniblitz T132 shutter controller,
> connected with RS232 (com1??). In the configuration I've put the
> info found on the manual (Baud rate 300, No parity, 8 Bits, 1 Stop
> bit.). But mm seems to not see it. so...questions:

In addition to the suggestions from Frederick: Are you sure that you
selected the correct COM port?  This can sometimes be quite tricky.  I
am pretty sure that the cable should be a straight-through cable (i.e.
not a null model cable) with pin 3 at the computer end connected to
pin 3 at the T132 end.  You might try hardware handshaking.  Indeed
best to first make it work in Hyperterminal.

> C) Address (in configWizard)..what does it mean? which value?

This only works for other controllers, and allows you to daisy-chain
them and then address individual controllers in the chain.  "x" will
address all controllers.

> 2-camera --> I'm using a F-viewII from Olympus system, connected
> through a firewire (IEEE1394). It's not in the list of the one
> supported, but I saw that for Linux/Mac there's a IEEE 1394 adapter
> for mm that support the F-view II. Does it exists for Win??

The entry for the Olympus F-viewII in the list of compatible cameras ( http://damien.douxchamps.net/ieee1394/cameras/
  ) does not state that it is IIDC1394 compatible.  It also does not
say that it is not.  Only Firewire cameras that adhere to the IIDC
specs will work with the dc1394 adapter on Mac and Linux.

> moreover, I've asked Olympus if they can make an adapter or
> something similar and they give me a software that convert the input
> of the camera in a TWAIN source...Question: how can I use it in mm?
> There's not something like "generic TWAIN source" for the camera...

Karl Hoover (who recently joined the Micro-Manager team) started
working on a TWAIN adapter.  You are welcome to try it out once it is
working.