ITK DrKassen Gmbh Stage Controller & Python wrapper questions

ITK DrKassen Gmbh Stage Controller & Python wrapper questions

StevenF
Hello Micromanager Team,

My lab has recently acquired a Leica DMI8 motorized microscope along with an ITK DrKassen Gmbh Stage Controller (Hydra model i think). I am having no trouble communicating with the microscope through Micromanager GUI, but i haven't found any suitable driver that let's me control the stage controller, i tried other drivers but none seemed to work (not surprising i guess). Is there a driver for Micromanager for this stage controller or will i have to make one myself?

I have a second question regarding the python wrapper. As stated before, i have no issues finding the Leica DMI8 with the GUI version of micromanager but i cannot find the device using the python wrapper! It worked the first time, but has stopped finding the device since (only for the python wrapper)

I have tried finding the device specifying the COM port, or using a saved configuration but none seem to work. I tried the 2.0 beta wrapper end the 1.4 and different configs, with the GUI open and closed, i tried purging ipython, i tried a regular python to make my commands work, but none seem to detect the device and i keep getting this error message :

code :
"
Failed to load device "COM6" from adapter module "SerialManager" [ Failed to load device adapter "SerialManager" [ Failed to load module "mmgr_dal_SerialManager" [ The module, or a module it depends upon, could not be found (Windows error: The specified module could not be found.) ] ] ]
"

This is very weird because the device is clearly there using the COM6 port and i can communicate with it.

Thanks in advance,

StevenF

Re: ITK DrKassen Gmbh Stage Controller & Python wrapper questions

Nico Stuurman-2
On 7/12/2017 8:15 AM, StevenF wrote:
> Hello Micromanager Team,
>
> My lab has recently acquired a Leica DMI8 motorized microscope along with an
> ITK DrKassen Gmbh Stage Controller (Hydra model i think). I am having no
> trouble communicating with the microscope through Micromanager GUI, but i
> haven't found any suitable driver that let's me control the stage
> controller, i tried other drivers but none seemed to work (not surprising i
> guess). Is there a driver for Micromanager for this stage controller or will
> i have to make one myself?

I have never heard of that stage controller.  You can ask the company
that made it for a Micro-Manager device adapter.

> I have a second question regarding the python wrapper. As stated before, i
> have no issues finding the Leica DMI8 with the GUI version of micromanager
> but i cannot find the device using the python wrapper! It worked the first
> time, but has stopped finding the device since (only for the python wrapper)
>
> I have tried finding the device specifying the COM port, or using a saved
> configuration but none seem to work. I tried the 2.0 beta wrapper end the
> 1.4 and different configs, with the GUI open and closed, i tried purging
> ipython, i tried a regular python to make my commands work, but none seem to
> detect the device and i keep getting this error message :
>
> code :
> "
> Failed to load device "COM6" from adapter module "SerialManager" [ Failed to
> load device adapter "SerialManager" [ Failed to load module
> "mmgr_dal_SerialManager" [ The module, or a module it depends upon, could
> not be found (Windows error: The specified module could not be found.) ] ] ]
> "

That means that the runtime you are using can not find
mmgr_dal_SerialManager.dll or a dll it relies on.  I don't think that
the SerialManager adapter relies on any external dlls, so this most
likely means that it can not find the dll.  I have no experience using
python with MM myself, but do the examples listed webpage
(https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Using_the_Micro-Manager_python_library)
work?

Re: ITK DrKassen Gmbh Stage Controller & Python wrapper questions

StevenF
Nico Stuurman-2 wrote
That means that the runtime you are using can not find
mmgr_dal_SerialManager.dll or a dll it relies on.  I don't think that
the SerialManager adapter relies on any external dlls, so this most
likely means that it can not find the dll.  I have no experience using
python with MM myself, but do the examples listed webpage
(https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Using_the_Micro-Manager_python_library)
work?
Okay thanks for the answers, i found where the error was coming from, it seems you need to be in the micromanager folder when using the wrapper, otherwise it doesn't detect any of the .dll it needs to use to load the devices!