IX2-UCB Hub Not Connected

Mike McCaffery
Hello,

We are trying to use Micro-Manager (1.3.45) to run our new IX81.

The hardware configuration wizard cannot find port for the Olympus Hub and requests which port is to be used.

If I quit the configuration wizard, the message is:

Error Code 39
Line 28; Property, Core, Initialize, 1
Error Code 22
Olympus Hub, Not Connected (through serial port)

Then a box with "Loading system configuration, please wait..." appears and will remain unless I close it.

I have tried both the onboard serial port and the PCI card serial ports to no avail.

As per the serial port wiki  we have installed a SIIG CyberSerial 4S Card Model JJ-P45012-S6 card and  I have set the port configurations as per the IX81 wiki:

AnswerTimeout: 500
BaudRate: 19200
DelayBetweenCharsMs: 0
Handshaking: Off
Parity: Even
StopBits: 2

Our system:

Scope:
Olympus IX81
IX2-UCB   (frame control)

Camera:
Photometrics Evolve w/ Firewire card

Computer:
Dell Optiplex 760  w/ Core2Quad cpu

Serial card: SIIG CyberSerial 4S Card Model JJ-P45012-S6

OS: WinXP Pro SP3
Micro-Manager: version 1.3.45

Additional information:

The Olympus supplied program IX2 ver.01.06 works fine w/ COM1(the onboard serial port) and those settings (from  XP device manager) are:

Baud: 9600
Bits: 8
Parity: none
Flow Control: none

I tried these settings w/ COM1, COM7 and COM8 as well but w/o success in Micro-Manager

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike McCaffery

Re: IX2-UCB Hub Not Connected

Kurt Thorn
The difference between the serial port settings seems striking.  Have
you tried setting up the scope in micromanager using exactly the
settings that works with the IX2 control program (same port and settings?)

Kurt

Mccaffery,Michael W wrote:

> Hello,
> I have tried both the onboard serial port and the PCI card serial ports to no avail.
>
> As per the serial port wiki  we have installed a SIIG CyberSerial 4S Card Model JJ-P45012-S6 card and  I have set the port configurations as per the IX81 wiki:
>
> AnswerTimeout: 500
> BaudRate: 19200
> DelayBetweenCharsMs: 0
> Handshaking: Off
> Parity: Even
> StopBits: 2
>

> Baud: 9600
> Bits: 8
> Parity: none
> Flow Control: none
>
> I tried these settings w/ COM1, COM7 and COM8 as well but w/o success in Micro-Manager
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike McCaffery

Re: IX2-UCB Hub Not Connected

Arthur D. Edelstein
Hi Mike,

You may wish to try setting all DIP switches to off. Then the original
settings on the wiki:
https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/OlympusIX81/BX61
should work.

Alternatively, check that you are setting the stop bits correctly.

Best regards,
Arthur

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Kurt Thorn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The difference between the serial port settings seems striking.  Have
> you tried setting up the scope in micromanager using exactly the
> settings that works with the IX2 control program (same port and settings?)
>
> Kurt
>
> Mccaffery,Michael W wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have tried both the onboard serial port and the PCI card serial ports to no avail.
>>
>> As per the serial port wiki  we have installed a SIIG CyberSerial 4S Card Model JJ-P45012-S6 card and  I have set the port configurations as per the IX81 wiki:
>>
>> AnswerTimeout: 500
>> BaudRate: 19200
>> DelayBetweenCharsMs: 0
>> Handshaking: Off
>> Parity: Even
>> StopBits: 2
>>

>> Baud: 9600
>> Bits: 8
>> Parity: none
>> Flow Control: none
>>
>> I tried these settings w/ COM1, COM7 and COM8 as well but w/o success in Micro-Manager
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike McCaffery

Re: IX2-UCB Hub Not Connected

Prashanth Ravindran-2
Hi Michael-

Have you made sure that your serial cable is a null modem cable. There
are two flavours of serial cables, and only one of them will work

Also I would suggest increasing the timeout on the serial port if you
have a motorized stage.(say 2000 ms)

The settings in the wiki are known to work for me, so I would go with them

Thanks,
-- Prashanth

Kurt Thorn wrote:

> The difference between the serial port settings seems striking.  Have
> you tried setting up the scope in micromanager using exactly the
> settings that works with the IX2 control program (same port and settings?)
>
> Kurt
>
> Mccaffery,Michael W wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I have tried both the onboard serial port and the PCI card serial ports to no avail.
>>
>> As per the serial port wiki  we have installed a SIIG CyberSerial 4S Card Model JJ-P45012-S6 card and  I have set the port configurations as per the IX81 wiki:
>>
>> AnswerTimeout: 500
>> BaudRate: 19200
>> DelayBetweenCharsMs: 0
>> Handshaking: Off
>> Parity: Even
>> StopBits: 2
>>

>> Baud: 9600
>> Bits: 8
>> Parity: none
>> Flow Control: none
>>
>> I tried these settings w/ COM1, COM7 and COM8 as well but w/o success in Micro-Manager
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike McCaffery

Success!! Re: IX2-UCB Hub Not Connected

Mike McCaffery
Hello All,

We finally succeeded in connecting Micro-Manager to our  Olympus IX81.
Very simple - I was not clicking on the appropriate box to open a drop down menu in Step 4 of the configuration wizard. Once I managed to open the menu, configuring everything else was simple.

Many thanks to all who replied, especial Arthur Edelstein, for their help and patience.

Finally, for those - such as myself - who may need extra help in getting started, this link was very useful:

Beginners guide to setting up micro-manager

http://www.100ximaging.com/india/launch_micromanager.pdf

Mike